These two brave firefighters risked their lives for the lives of two sweet puppies. Ellen wanted to personally thank them, and of course, give them a surprise!

Comments

(Page 2 of 3) Newer123Older
Judy Bieger

Hi Ellen,
Watched your show today! Wonderful as always! The firemen portion was so touching. I have a friend from over 50 years ago that has a daughter that has a rescue program - No Stray Left Behind. She has a website entitled this. Please look at her website, she does so much good! She does need help and would be a super winner for the $100,000 that you have asked for rescue programs deserving of this. She has been doing this for sometime, taking care of animals at her expense. Her van is in desperate need of repair that she helps these animals with. One incident not too long ago, she rescued a dog in a field two people were taking aim at with a gun. Stopped them and took the dog at the risk of her getting hurt. She is an angel, please help her!

Judy Bieger - 209-874-3780

Pat Shaw

I would like to nominate a rescue group that is located in Leming, Texas. The driving force is a lady named Sue Hillman. She works so hard in this non-profit group that it is unbelievable, She and her group work an area from San Antonio and a large part of South Texas. They take in dogs and work to get any medical treatment needed as well as finding the pets a "forever home". Her group is call Tess k9 rescue. I have never known such a dedicated person.

Elaine Guyon

I would like to nominate Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue & Sanctuary out of Elverta CA. They take in Goldens from all sources, pounds, surrenders and other sources throughout the state of CA. They will provide medical needs to these dogs and get them ready for adoption from puppies to senior dogs. Dogs that aren't adoptable they will not put them down but let them live their life there at the sanctuary. We have adopted 3 dogs from them(all of which came from the LA area. This sanctuary is in the Sacramento area). They are constantly having fun raisers to cover all their costs of food, medical care, housing etc. They are such a loving people that care deeply for these dogs I would love to see them get some financial aid to help them out. Thanks Ellen for considering this group. Please check out their website which you'll see all that they do to help out these needing goldens. Our three boys have been a wonderful addition to our family I cannot imagine my life without our boys. Thanks again. Elaine Guyon

brenda lara

Hi Ellen,

I would like to nominate the Avenal shelter in Avenal Ca. They are not a rescue but a pound. Every week they shelter innocent beings and if it wasn't for the few volunteers who network the dogs through facebook, they would be forgotten and left to die. Through networknig, they have managed to save so many wonderful lives. Since they're non-profit, donations are well appreciated. Sometimes they barely make it by. I always wanted to become a veterenarian or a vet technician though life hasn't pushed me that way. I wish I could be in a position where I can help by donating, volunteering, or even foster but I'm studying to become a nurse ( I figured if I cant help animals I can help humans). Though I know when my career kicks off I know I'll be helping them as much as I can. I would love to start my own rescue sometime in my future. To the volunteers and those who donate not only to Avenal but worldwide I'd like to say thank you. Because you are their voice.

Trish Stanton

Why do I love Ellen- she is the only person who never ever fails to make me cry and smile and laugh out loud at the same time (my guy just quietly wipes his wet face.....) this occurs every day I can watch the show. Sometimes, I just tell Bob her story and his glasses fog up! He is cool. I just brought home an old and overweight dog who has been passed over for over three weeks for adoption 'cause of her age, and weight (& she likes cats!) Her ( mom ) owner had to surrender her after all these years because the ex told her he had plans to do a drive- by shooting to kill the poor dog when he saw her outside. She a a great old girl and we hope to share love ... for the rest of her life. No more fear for her ever and to her owner who suffered for yrs. And so-these great firefighters reminded me about the good/great guys who are out there. Bless their puppy lovin hearts! Hugs to Ellen for ALL she shares and gives. May she never retire XOXO x1 million! Trish

Roa Al-Saleh

I would like to nominate an amazing nonprofit and no-kill shelter who needs help desperately to provide a better environment for homeless pets. The Valley Humane Society in Casa Grande, Arizona does wonders for dogs and cats, many of whom are rescued from local high-kill shelters. This shelter was built in 1966 and it is falling apart. There had been times where the summer heat had been well above 110 degrees and the air conditioning was not working. Even though the dogs get the best care and love possible, their kennels are old and very cold during the winter time, plus the concrete floor is not the most ideal or comfortable place to sleep. The cats have play rooms, but the majority of them are housed in little cages because there is just not enough space. Even though there isn't enough room, each animal will be assured to have free time to run and play everyday. The only way VHS makes money is through animal adoptions, but there have been times where people have broken in and stolen much needed money from the animals.

When I was 14, and before I moved to California, I began to volunteer at VHS. Then, when I turned 16, I was hired as a part time employee and couldn't have been happier working at a place where a difference in the lives of animals was being made. The manager, Colleen M. (who still works there) is absolutely my hero. She goes above and beyond her duties just to ensure the happiness of these much deserving animals. Not only will she stay at all hours of the night tending to a sick animal, but she has fostered and saved a countless number of lives. When the shelter is past closing, she will even stay for hours to let all the cats get out of their small cages to stretch their legs, play, and run loose throughout the entire facility (and it's not the easiest job to find them all when it's time for bed)! Even when she isn't feeling too well, you will still see her everyday of the week making sure all the kitties and puppies are happy. She does not give up on any animal and will do whatever it take to give them the best life possible until they can find their forever home. Colleen's passion is amazing and gives hope to all those in her path. The Valley Humane Society desperately needs your help to give these animals the best opportunity to thrive and help continue their mission to find loving homes for homeless pets.

Shellie  Struffert

Villalobos Pitbull Rescue- New Orleans
Tia not only saves Pitbulls she saves all breeds of dogs, she also saves peoples lives too. She gives parolees a second chance at life too. She was in LA for 20 years due to the change in regulations she had to leave. Because she couldn't afford to upgrade her kennels. I have seen her wade thru gater infested and contaminated water to save a dogs life. She moved her entire non profit organization to New Orleans. She will drive 30 hrs just to make sure the dog wil be safe in the new home and that the family will be a perfect fit for the dog. I wish I had the money to send her to help her buy food for all the dogs she rescues. She is tough and does everything she can to help dogs get a better life. Please look into her shelter she is amazing.....Thank you for reading my email <3

Lauri

Hi Ellen,

I'd like to nominate Nine Lives Foundation a "no kill" shelter for cats. Dr. Monica Rudiger started the foundation in 2003 and have placed over 8000 cats since then including our two boys, Stratus and Cirrus; we call them our clouds. I know at one point she was using most of the income from her veterinary practice to support the foundation.

We adopted out boys Oct. 30, 2009 during one of their annual adoption drives, they had over 200 cats. They were offering a 2 for 1 special; adopt any pair of black, white or orange cats and you'll pay for one and get the second one free. We weren't planning on 2 cats but took it under consideration. We looked at all their cats that day but couldn't agree on any of them. I told my husband I would know my cat when I saw it and we hadn't found it yet, period. I didn't know if I wanted black, white, red or green I just knew I hadn't found my cat. We were ready to go home, empty handed.

They said "We have 2 brothers who have to go together and are going to be put up for adoption tomorrow, maybe we could let them go tonight." When they brought them out my heart stopped... these were my boys, they were perfect. They were both all white and they had beautiful golden eyes. I always promote Nine Lives, I tell everyone about them! www.ninelivesfoundation.org/

kim schloesser

I would like to nominate Cocheco Valley Humane society Dover N.H. for your contest. They work very hard to help many animals, but there building is very very old. They have trailers attached to the main building because they just don't have the room and they are getting run down. I have had the pleasure of adopting my cat Sadie from there. She is the most loving and affectionate cat we have ever had. They just helped us out with a homeless cat in my parents neighborhood who just had kittens. They are often over crowded but they do what they can to help. Help Please!!!! :)kim

Regina Miron

I really love, that you LOVE animals. Rescue of dogs from "kill" facilities is what this wonderful woman does. She started the rescue/adoption, because of her dog that she rescued. Living in the remote part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, it is challenging for her to "get the word out" to build her foundation and cover expenses. However, she has rescued over 200 dogs from a TX kill center; found volunteers who drive the dogs to the U.P. of Michigan; found volunteers to be foster homes; and has placed over 200 dogs in forever homes. Please consider this organization for your Petco Foundation Grant. There is medical, transportation, re-homing, food costs that need to be covered. Because of Mandy A 501 (c) 3 rescue organization. All breed/need foster based dog rescue. (906)281-0974 BecauseOfMandy@yahoo.com.
Please take into account, that organizations in metro areas can raise funds due to the large population. B.O.M is limited to the sparse population of the U.P. of Mich. God's Blessings to you for what you do.

Marlene O'Malley

If you've looking for a pet shelter to help, Wright Way Animal Shelter in Niles, Illinois was just destroyed last month after a bus ran into the building. Fortunately no workers or pets were hurt but they're now looking for another place to house the animals since their building was destroyed. I don't have much more info, but you can find it on the internet. I think it happened Oct. 2nd. Thank you for all the good work you do for people and animals. And I would love a Keith Urban guitar - love him!

Laurie Huffman

I would like to nominate East Main Veterinary Clinic in Miles City, Montana, for the grant. Although they are a vet clinic, they take all the animals that the animal control officer catches in our town, then they find foster homes for them, post pictures of the strays in the local paper, advertise for their adoptions, and provide medical treatment and care for them until they are adopted! I have adopted 2 dogs and 3 cats from them myself. What I find so unique about East Main is that they have no obligation to care for these animals or try to find them homes, but they do anyway! In addition to this, they provide medical care to any animals that are abused or hurt, and if there is no one to pay for the care, they cover it. East Main is full of animal-loving vets and helpers and all this people offer a service that is unbelievable. Please consider them for this honor!

elizabeth phillips

My husband, Scott, a volunteer fireman in out hometown of Somerdale NJ, did the same thing last week. After searching the basement of a fully involved house fire for the family cat with no success he and another fireman pulled out the family dog, Buddy, who was barely breathing. They used our donated pet masks and brought the dog back. They are a volunteer fire dept that depend on the donations from town folks to help maintain their equipment and training. We are so proud when they are able to save any life and property. These men and women do this because they love it. They don't receive paychecks for it. Go SFD!!!

Pam Stephens

Ellen! First of all I love you and I love your show! I was watching today when you honored those two firefighters that saved those lil Pit Bull puppies from the fire and gave them oxegen! SO sweet! You mentioned that you and Petco wanted to give a shelter a $100,000 grant and I have the perfect place for that. Fresno Bully Rescue in Fresno, Ca. They are wonderful! I adopted my Lucky from them and they are constantly doing fundraisers just to keep their doors open for all the homeless and abandoned Pit Bulls out there. They are ALWAYS full to the brim and operate on a shoe string. NONE of the board members earn one penny from this shelter. It is what they love! All have fulltime professional jobs and even bought a house with property JUST FOR THE DOGS. They have two caretakers there to make sure the dogs get what they need. If any rescue deserves recognition and funds to help continue...it's Fresno Bully Rescue. They have a FB page and of course a website. CHECK THEM OUT! You will LOVE all of them!

Trula Thompson

Thanks for ALL you do, but esp for the animals. I just learned about an awesome NPO near Olympia WA that is in dire need to some support right now. Local news ran a story about NATURE NUTURES about two weeks ago. This is an animal rescue farm that is the dream actualized of a woman who loves animals and children. In addition to rescuing animals, esp horses, she has created programs for children at risk to work with the animals....to the benefit of both. The story was aired because she expanded her offering to a greater number of children, and in doing so crossed some arbitrary line of small vs larger operation, and so government fees increased to the point of maybe putting her out of business. She has a time frame to raise $30,000, with only $13,813 to date and ONLY 11 DAYS TO GO. I will giving her a check this week, but can't come close to saving this wonderful endeavor. PLEASE, CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE = NATURE NUTURES and see for yourself. Any help you or your viewer could send would be wonderful and would help this amazing work to continue to save animals and children continue.

(Page 2 of 3) Newer123Older