Start your Memorial Day off right with Roberto Martin's Whole Wheat Waffles with Maple-Berry Syrup!
- One 10-ounce bag organic frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
In a small saucepan, bring the frozen berries, 1/2 cup water, and the maple syrup to a simmer. Simmer until the berries are soft. Whisk and set aside.
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic, bleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups nondairy milk (almond, soy, or rice)
- 1/4 water
- 1 cup organic applesauce
- 5 1/3 tablespoons (1/2 stick plus 1 tablespoon) (1/3 cup) vegan butter, melted (or flaxseed oil, hemp oil, or extra-virgin olive oil)
- Nonstick cooking spray
In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the milk, water, applesauce, and melted butter until well incorporated. Let the batter rest for about 5 minutes while you preheat the waffle iron.
Spray the preheated waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Add butter to the waffle iron and cook the waffles according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve the waffles warm with berry syrup.
Makes 8 medium waffles.