Want a fun and easy recipe you can make with your kids? Try Roberto Martin's Mac 'N Cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups dry shell or elbow pasta, cooked until al dente according to the package directions
- 5 ounces vegan cheddar cheese, grated (preferably Follow Your Heart brand)
- 1 cup Cashew Cream (see below)
- 1 cup broth made from Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base or Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Cups raw organic cashews
- 2 1/2 cups water
Soak the cashews in water overnight or bring the cashews and 4 cups of water to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the cashews to soak 1 hour. Drain and rinse the cashews.
Place the cashews into the jar of a blender and add 2 1/2 cups of water. Blend until completely smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down the sides of the jar with a silicone spatula. Strain the mixture to remove any particles that did not get pureed thoroughly; the cashew cream should be the consistency of heavy cream. It can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 2 months.
Makes 5 cups of cashew cream
Place all the ingredients except for the salt and pepper in a saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon until the cheese has melted and the ingredients are well incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.