Looking for a new twist to a classic combo mozzarella and tomato? Try Tal Ronen's Tomato, “Mozzarella” and Pesto Panini.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Prep time: 15 minutes
For the pesto:
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped arugula, stems included
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of ground cayenne
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 loaf plain focaccia or other bread
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 slices vegan mozzarella
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Make the pesto: Place all of the pest ingredients except the oil in a food processor and pulse several times. Continue to blend as you slowly pour the oil in a thin stream.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Cut the focaccia into 4 equal-sized pieces. Split each piece in half horizontally. Spread one of the halves of each split piece of focaccia with about 1/4 of the pesto. Divide the tomato and mozzarella slices among the sandwiches. Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon oil and close the sandwiches.
- Cook the sandwiches one at a time in a panini press set on a medium-high until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden, about 3 minutes. Alternatively, preheat two cast iron skillets over medium-high heat; put a sandwich in one hot skillet and carefully set the second one on top to press the sandwich. Flip the panini halfway through. Serve immediately.
For more delicious recipes from Tal Ronnen, check out "The Conscious Cook."