Celebrity Chef José Andrés was cooking up a storm for Ellen today. Here is the recipe for his 20 Vegetable Fried Rice and Nitrogen Caipirinha.
You can try his fried rice in person at the The China Poblano at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas or his delicious Nitrogen Caipirnha at The Bazaar in Beverly Hills, California and South Beach, Florida!
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 2 Brussels sprouts
- 4 cups plus 5 ounces of blended oil
- 1/2 small sweet potato, peeled and julienne cut
- 3 tablespoon jicama, small diced
- 3 tablespoon chayote, small diced
- 3 tablespoon zucchini, small diced
- 3 tablespoon radish, small diced
- 3 tablespoon cauliflower, diced
- 1 tablespoon edamame
- 2 tablespoon mushrooms, diced
- 6 Snow peas, cut into three pieces each
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon diced sweet onion
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of diced silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon chive, chopped
- 1/4 cup pea tendril (optional)
- 2 baby carrot
- 2 baby radish
- 2 tablespoon sesame vinaigrette
- 3 carrot
- 1/4 cup fried sweet potato
- 6 slices cauliflower, sliced 1/4”
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
Cut the thicker half of carrot into 1/4” slices. Using a butterfly stamp cut into butterfly shapes. (Optional). Drop into a pot of boiling salted water for a few seconds to blanch. Remove and immerse in ice bath. Dice the remainder of the carrot. Set aside.
Peel Brussels sprouts leaves. Set aside.
Rinse the starch off the sweet potato. Rinse in cold water to remove the starch. Dry off. Heat wok, add oil and heat to 330F. Fry until crisp. Remove and drain. Set aside.
Lower temperature of oil to 250F. Add the diced carrot, Brussels sprout, jicama, chayote, zucchini, radish, cauliflower, edamame, mushrooms and snow peas and blanch in the oil for about 10 seconds. Strain vegetables and set aside.
Beat one of the eggs and season with salt. In a small saute pan with an ounce of oil, cook the egg in a thin layer. Remove the omelette and chop up. Set aside.
Just before serving, heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Stir fry garlic, ginger and onion for 5 seconds. Add raw egg and stir until cooked. Add rice and continue to cook until it breaks up. Add salt, soy and oyster sauce. Mix well and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Add the blanched vegetables, omelet, diced tofu and yellow chives. Quickly toss and plate.
Toss the pea tendrils, baby radishes and baby carrots with the sesame vinaigrette. Garnish with carrot butterflies, baby carrots, radish, sliced cauliflower, pea tendrils, fried sweet potatoes and micro cilantro.
6 oz. Cachaca
fresh lime juice
1/4 lime, zested
3 T sugar
Muddle the lime juice and the sugar, then add the rest of the ingredients, let sit 20 min and strain. Pour 5 oz. Caipirinha Mix into mixing bowl, then add liquid nitrogen until desired texture. Transfer to serving bowl
and add 3 small tarragon leaves, 4 edible flower petals, then grate lime zest on top to garnish.