- 1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Red bell pepper diced
- 1 Yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 (5oz) Package "Smart Bacon" chopped or 1 (6oz) package of "Smokey Tempeh Strips" chopped, which ever is available.
- 1 Block firm tofu
- ½Cup chopped green onions
- ½Cup grated vegan cheddar cheese
"Follow Your Heart" brand or "Veggie Slices" cut into strips
- 1 Tbs. high heat oil like safflower or grape seed oil
- 2 Large russet potatoes, washed, grated, and rinsed or 1 (16oz) bag frozen hash browns
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
Pat the block of tofu dry and slice it into 4 equal pieces.
Using a paper towel or lined kitchen towel, press the tofu firmly to remove moisture.
Working over a large mixing bowl, squeeze the tofu through a potato ricer or crumble it all up in your fingers.
Add the vegan cheese, garlic powder, green onions and onion powder.
In a skillet heat the olive oil and add the "Smart Bacon" and peppers.
Stir until the peppers are slightly browned.
Add the peppers to the tofu mixture.
Using the same skillet get the high heat oil hot and add the potatoes.
Stir the potatoes constantly without pressing down on them until they are slightly brown.
Add them to the tofu mixture and stir gently until well incorporated.
Distribute the mixture evenly into a 13x9" baking pan.
Bake at 420º for 20 minutes or until it's hot.
*I like to make this casserole the night before and bake it the next morning.