Ellen had a crazy night. She was up at 2 a.m. trying to figure out which smoke alarm was beeping. Thankfully, she found a great solution -- the Nest Protect!

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
crismaldi Ramirez

!!

Emmer Murray

Ellen,
I can completely relate. I am a United States Navy Veteran, and while I was active duty, the military housing was so famous for beeping fire alarms. The batteries died constantly, we would call maintenance and the alarm would stop beeping while maintenance was there so my whole family looked as if they were lying. We had a home inspection and we we had to pay a fine because we had completely destroyed our fire alarms because they continued to beep even when the batteries were taken out and the alarm was unplugged. It drove us crazy. Unfortunately, I was forced to separate from the Navy due to pregnancy of all things. I am currently unemployed, but I am able to attend college to get my nursing degree. The really unfortunate part is that I was forced to separate from the military and move to my little hometown of Waycross, Georgia. I had also had 2 children and was pregnant with my third. They are now 3, 2, and 10 months. Close together huh? My little family was now a huge family, living in a house that was built in the 60's. The wiring is all wrong, the lights constantly go out, the insulation blows, the heater is gas...but I HAVE NO FIRE ALARMS. I am so angry at myself for being angry at my fire alarms that drove me crazy. Now I wish I had a fire alarm to do just that. Especially with a gas heater and crazy electrical wiring in my house. It scares me even more now that I have three little babies. DO NOT TAKE THOSE FIRE ALARMS FOR GRANTED. I am now one of those families that does not have the security of a fire alarm and it is horrible. Please help my desperate family out. At least for the safety of my little babies.

Very Respectfully,
Emmer, Charles, Bailey, Brayan, and Kera Murray

MaryKay Kratz

It would be wonderful to have both devices in one.

Georgette Terraneo

I hate when that happens ... just when you are in a sound sleep . The smoke alarm makes that loud sound. I always think that I can sleep and make believe I dont hear it ,, lol this cracked me up..thanks for all the laughs

carlene sawyer

Ellen
I saw your comment: Chirp, Chirp, Chirp.
If the Nest Alarm chirps, I would have a problem. You see I have two birds, a parrot and a parakeet which chirp all the time!
Carlene
South Carolina
Have a Chirping Good Day

Gloria pszyk

Hi Ellen, would love to be in your audience to see you in person. You have a generous heart and so compassionate. Also would love if you were to have a show for parents who is going through IVF like my daughter. She's had 3 miscarriages and had to pay out of pocket for IVF. Feel sorry for these people who love kids and can't have them on there own. Please have a show with baby giveaways for all these future parents to be!!! Watch your show everyday, it fills my heart with joy.

Kristin Grieser

I have the best story to tell you that happened approx 3 months ago. We had the exact same 'chirp/beep' at 2am- GO FIGURE. My husband and I are taking down/out every battery in every alarm we have. We are hitting the 'test' button so the thing makes this ungodly loud noise (and we are praying our 2 year old, who had just been awake, doesn't wake again). Our 22lb bichon poodle is completely freaking out, and my husband and I have gone from being annoyed to EXTREMELY pissed and yelling at each othe cause he can't figure it out. Of course, we can't make it stop and have no replacement batteries so I decide I'll run to the store and he can go back to bed. By this time it's close to 4:30am and he has to go to work within an hour. Upon return we change every battery in every alarm and the chirping STILL doesn't stop. He ends up going to work on no sleep and I call an electrician to come ASAP. 10 am rolls around (and this damn chirping is driving me NUTS) and the electrician gets here. Does everything we do and says we need to replace ALL of our smoke detectors because they are out of date and that has to be the problem. As we are walking up the stairs and he is going to start replacing all of the detectors, I walk past our carbon minoxide detector on the wall in the kitchen. I hit the button and remove the battery and the chirping stops! Thank The Lord! As the electrician leaves and we laugh about things, he tells me "well, the bill for my service call will be coming in the mail." WHAT?! Sure enough, we get a bill for $95 for the service call! That's what I get for calling a guy to fix things!

Beverly

Oh my Gosh, I can relate. I had a carbon monoxide detector that started beeping because of a low battery. besides the ear splitting sound I could not get the thing open to fix it and I couldn't get it off the wall. I tried and tried so finally I took a hammer to it, beat the darn thing of the wall and tried again to get it open, all the time it is BLASTING that horrid noise! I ended up putting it outside in a garbage can, You could still hear it in the house. My husband came home and heard it beeping in the garbage can , he knew what happened. Thought I was gonna loose my mind and my hearing. The Nest sounds so nice!

Stacy

Omg...this happened to my at 2am the morning of my 39th bday and I took the day off to sleep in...tried to ignore but it freaks out my female dog. Shut my bedroom door but she could still hear it. Had to got to freezy garage and bring ladder and climb this 36 feet ladder with no spotter...and Im thinking what if I fall. I hate those darn alarms!!!

Jinxi

Ellen, this happened to me when I was at work and caused my dog Bosco to literally have a nervous breakdown. Now whenever anything on TV buzzes or dings, the microwave goes off, or my cellphone gets a text, etc Bosco tucks his tail and starts shaking and peeing himself until he can run outside in the backyard and hide. Turned my happy well behaved rescue dog into a slobbering, blithering, idiot...poor Bosco but I still love him. I think I'm going to have to get a therapist for him or maybe one of those comfort collars or Thundercoats.

Lora

Easiest way to remember to change the battery is to change it every time you change your clocks for daylight savings. Batteries get changed twice a year on a regular schedule.

Cynthia Snyder

That exact thing has happened to us at 3am! hahaha! right, now I laugh, but when it happened it wasn't funny!

Robert Virden

LOL This morning our smoke alarm beeped and when I took out the battery it beeped again like yours!

Laura

write the date on the smoke alarm with a black sharpie when you change batteries............

Juanita

I wouldn't want to hear even a nice voice in the middle of the night telling me the battery is low. Change those 9 volt batteries every 6-8 months. Be careful how you dispose of them, they are known for starting fires under certain cir***stances. Best thing to do is place some electrical tape over the connectors.

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older