Donate to the Detroit Achievement Academy

Ellen met two amazing young educators who are doing everything they can to help kids in Detroit. Ellen gave them some big help, and you can, too! Find out more, here.

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
Jean Nagel

Hi Ellen, I had to let you know my husband and I watched your show about the DAA. We were so touched by these young girls starting this school. The building they are occupying is the church my two girls were christen in as babies. We were members of that church. March 31st of this year my
Husband passed away. My girls and I. Knew we wanted to,do something for education because my
Husband had been on the Lamphere schools Board of Education for almost 13 years. I remembered your show about the DAA, my girls checked it out immediately and named them for Memorials in
His name. We received so many donations we have donated cash, and have purchased over $900.00
Dollars worth of books to be donated to your Ellen DeGeneres Library. Our family is going to take them to the school as my daughters, son-in-laws and grand kids helped pick out special books that were their favorites, as well as using the DAA's wish list. We are so happy about this I had to let you know. You do so much good for people in need, and they are in need. Jean Nagel and family

Brittany Behymer

I watch your show every day, and I was especially touched by the Detroit Achievement Academy you helped. My dad and I build and work on websites. I was curious if the school had a website for people to be able to get more information and send donations.

I am very passionate about education and have spent the past two years working towards getting a Master's in Occupational Therapy to work with children with Autism and other special needs. I worked with a 21 year old with severe autism for two years while taking prerequisite classes to apply for the master's program. Unfortunately I did not get accepted into the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, so my dreams were put on hold.

I also don't work with my patient anymore because the family could not give me the hours I needed and I was not making enough money. I am currently working with my dad because I cannot find a job. I have been reconsidering my career goals, but my passion for working with and educating children is still as strong as ever.

I think what these individuals are doing to help the children in the less fortunate is extremely touching and motivating. I would love the opportunity to create this website for the Detroit Achievement Academy. If this could be a possibility please contact me!!!

Brittany L. Behymer

Bob Kilgore

I watch Ellen daily and am always touched by her generosity. She has inspired me to help others and has inspired me to donate to your academy. You are achieving great success and you should all be very proud. It's too bad there aren't more Kyle's out there. Once again congratulations on all of your students accomplishments!!!!!!

Laura Sullivan

I am so proud of my son Zachary Sullivan , the newest staff member to the academy. He had his heart set on being a baby doctor for years and time here is tugging him twords education as a career. He had a really unique educational experience in Oklahoma from schools like School of the Plains and Classen School of Advanced Studies. He is an IB graduate and plays classical guitar like nobody's business!

Conan Visser

When I saw this story a few months back it inspired me to make my own not for profit organisation completely free of charge to schools, children and their parents. My name is Conan Visser, the 28 year old founder of 'I Can I Will - Devoted to improving the lives of children with special needs in Australia. www.icaniwill.com.au for more info. Thank you for showing this story.

Cynthia

These two young women are such an inspiration, that no matter what you do, it will make an impact, just do something. Every little bit helps. So many of us are blessed with much, should think about how much do we really NEED. I hope that celebrities with ties to Detroit will reach out and do something to help. I'm sure many are quiet about their philanthropy, but its time they did a little more. How many cars, homes, clothes and jewels can you have. When all the kids want is a chance and some food. Hope some cereal companies donate some food also. I wish these ladies much strength and support in all they are doing.

Lori Young

I just watchd the episode about the DAA. Although I can not make a monitary donation, I would love to help.I would love to make something for the children to help keep them warm. I understand that there are 40 children, ages 5-6. Could you possibly forward my name and email address to the school and ask that they reach out to me. I would like to know how many boys there are, and how many girls. I have already started on this project and would like to get this completed before Christmas.
Thank you for your help.

Marie  Krug

Ellen,
I can't thank you enough for bringing people who need our help to our attention. I don't always have a lot to give, but I can certainly afford to send a little every month, especially when children or animals are involved.

I hope you continue to seek out those who can inspire us & allow us to share in their generosity of spirit by helping to fund their dreams.

Hopefully, my little will add to a stream & then a flood of donations.

Marie

P.S.
Every week is cat week @ my house, but don't tell Mickey the mutt!

Allison Noble

Dear Ellen, I have always loved your show and have always been so impressed with your compassion and your generosity. Yesterday, you featured the Detroit Achievement Academy.....and there was one of my former students, their principal! I had lost track of Sharon, and was thrilled to see what a difference she is making in these childrens' ' lives! Thank you so much for what you have done for this school.....and for the many donations that this school will receive from being featured on your show!
Sincerely,
Allison Noble
Retired Music Teacher

Karen

I love seeing episodes like this - people helping each other & those in need. (it's hard to find out where to donate on the web site)

Shauna Swenson

I was so touched by this story today. I grabbed my 6-year-old son and made him watch it with me. We are so blessed and I wanted him to see kids who are less fortunate than him. He said, "Mom, why are they so happy if they have nothing to eat?" We immediately knew we had to donate to this very deserving school.

Cindy Champagne

Dear Ellen, I can not thank you enough for what you did for the DAA. I was born in Detroit, as well as my parents. It was once, and still is a beautiful city. I feel just like the founder, whom I think is an angel on Earth! All children deserve an education despite their economic status. Ellen, you too are an Angel on Earth,you do such wonderful things. Thank you again from a Detroit native who believes our great city can, and will come back with help from wonderful people like you.

isabella

I love you're show. I love how you always make people laugh. I also love how you help people all the time. When ever im sad I watch you're show and I crack up. I'd totally send money but im only 9. I love to dance and I thank god every day I have healthy legs, you always remind me that im the luckiest kid in the world because I have loving parents great health and nice friends. Thank you soooooooo much for everything you do Love you. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXoxoxoxoxo FYI ID LOVE TO BE ON YOURE SHOW IM 9 YEARS OLD AND LOVE TO DANCE. P.S. I LOVE 1D AND ID LOVE TO GO TO A CONCERT AND HAVE BACKSTAGE PASES 9 TICKETS IF CAN. LOL BUT SERIESLY

LOVE,
ISABELLA FERNANDEZ

isabella

I feel so inspired I know the feeling my mom works at a school like that. I love youre show.

Juan Berrios

Hi ellen I am a 41 year old Hispanic male living in Elizabeth New Jersey.1452 Lexington place Elizabeth New Jersey 07208. I been suffering for two years from 7 operations from a total hip replacement to a elbow surgery, one surgery, knee surgery.I have not had a good Christmas in a long time.can you fill my dreams come true this year.I would appreciate your help this year.thank you and good bless you.I have never won anything in my life.Please help me thank you once again.my number is 19089377157

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older