Ellen met two firefighters who risked their lives to save to sweet puppies. She gave them a big reward, and even had a special gift for the audience!

Comments

Janet Hagen

I know of a rescue which is struggling to keep up with the overwhelming amount of dogs she has had to rescue. They are short handed and have very little space available but she keeps helping these dogs. They really need help and the grant would be awesome for her. The name of the rescue is FRIENDS OF TESS K9 RESCUE and it is run by Sue Hillman, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405708760...01036/. Please look them up on facebook and check them out. They really need all the support she can get.
Janet Hagen

cindy sarr

Hi Ellen,

If any organization deserves this grant, it is Chance At Life Cat Rescue in new jersey. Renee Olah, the president of this non profit organization, dedicates her time solely to rescuing strays and fostering them herself until they find loving homes. She also takes in strays from local shelters to save them from being put down. I met Renee at Petsmart, and I have never seen a more caring and effort making independent organization. Chance at life cat rescue has rescued cats from dumpsters who were abused, cats who were neglected, and strays born on the street. This organization takes in strays like they are their own and works with them to help each and every cat become adoptable. This organization needs all the volunteering and help they can get! Please consider this organization in choice for the grant. They definitely deserve it.
Chanceatlifecatrescue.com
You can also find them on facebook.
Thank you so much for your time and consideration,
Cindy-bergen county, NJ

Cara

Hello Ellen!

I just wanted to let you know about a very unique shelter who could definitely use your support! Ohio House Rabbit Rescue in Columbus, OH is the first rescue of its kind in Ohio. Domestic rabbits are the third most surrendered pet, and when OHRR did a survey, they found that over 900 domestic rabbits were offered for surrender in Central Ohio alone. Since then, it has been OHRR's mission to establish and operate a Center for rescued, abandoned pet rabbits, offer a robust adoption program, and provide educational resources and programming on the proper care of rabbits as indoor companions.

Just this past August, OHRR succeeded in opening the first Adoption Center exclusively for rabbit in Ohio. In just a few months we have seen an extreme increase in adoptions. Since the shelter opened, we found homes for 25 rabbits. In 2012 we found homes for 29 rabbit total.

Currently the Center is being leased from OHRR board members who purchased it expressly for OHRR's use, and we've launched a Capital Campaign to purchase it over three years. Support from Halo and the Petco Foundation would truly help us achieve our goal of $285,000. Our campaign is titled "Be the Voice" because rabbits just do not have as much of a public "voice" like dogs and cats do, and we're hoping that with the Adoption Center and our community outreach (including Midwest BunFest (www.midwestbunfest.org)- the largest rabbit exposition in the Eastern US!) will change that! You can find more about OHRR at www.ohiohouserabbitrescue.org.

Thanks so much for everything you do, and for supporting animal rescue!

Carolyn

Hi! I just returned from vacation and am catching up on my DVR episodes of Ellen and saw the show with the firefighters who saved the puppies!
I missed the very end where it said something about nominating someone/organization to receive a $100,000 donation from Petco for doing great things for animal rescue/welfare. I just got back from Kanab Utah where I visited The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and it is the most amazing place and the only animal sanctuary of its kind in the United States. It sits on 3700 acres of the most picturesque scenery near the Zion National Park that you can imagine. Knowing Ellen like we do, she is probably already aware of this place but I just wanted to put their name in this entry if I could. The people there are incredible...there are horses, pot belly pigs, cats of all ages with every problem and issue imaginable, rabbits, dogs etc.. The concept of this place was started by "literally" best friends who had a dream, very little money and the perserverence to see it through. There is a book about it called Best Friends.....The True Story of the Worlds Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary. The book is a wonderful read with stories that warm your heart. If I could somehow get the proper entry information for the $100,000 prize, I wou ld greatly appreciate it. Thank You
Carolyn Farren
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
e-mail - drdoolittle713@comcast.net

Karin Janzen

I thought it would be the easiest to paste the Manitoba Mutts Dog Rescue description from their FB page. In Northern Manitoba we have many poor communities with many stray dogs. There is very little neutering happening in these communities, so there are constantly litters of pups that are unwanted and uncared for. They are left to fend for themselves,where the temperatures are frigid to say the least. Those that survive often become 'pack' dogs, which are a nuisance and dangerous, so very once in a while the communities will do a 'dog culling', where the stray dogs are shot. Manitoba Mutts has been working to get these dogs into homes.

Manitoba Mutts is a 100% foster based non-profit dog rescue, founded in 2011. The rescue was started in response to the number of dogs in Manitoba that were abandoned, abused and neglected.

Company Overview

Manitoba Mutts was founded in 2011. We are a registered, non-profit, incorporated dog rescue. We started this rescue when we saw the number of dogs in Manitoba that were abandoned, abused, and neglected. We have spent the last year working within the rescue community and decided it was time to branch out on our own to further assist dogs in need. Animal cruelty and neglect is a huge problem in Manitoba. It is a problem that we are dedicated to making a difference in. We are a volunteer run dog rescue based in Winnipeg MB. We take in dogs from all over Manitoba who have been abandoned, abused or surrendered at no fault of their own. All are wonderful dogs that we are pleased to help take the next step to finding loving responsible homes.

All this is done with the invaluable assistance of our foster homes. As we do not have a facility, we rely on our volunteers to take these dogs into their homes and teach them what it feels like to be loved and to become welcome members of society.

At Manitoba Mutts Dog Rescue, we believe every dog deserves to be treated as a cherished member of the family, and we do our best to provide as many dogs from our province with this experience.

We survive solely on the kindness of others and contributions to keep our doors open and help us continue the work we do. If you are interested in helping save the life of a Manitoba Mutt please see our adoption, foster and donation pages.

Dogs are pack animals and suffer greatly by being chained, penned or otherwise excluded from their family, even for short periods of time. Being included inside the home is essential for a dog's emotional and physical health. It is just as cruel to starve a dog of their emotional needs as it is to starve them of food and water. Manitoba Mutts only adopts out dogs to families who will keep their dogs indoors with them as Members of the family and states that none of our animals are to live as 'outdoor' dogs or spend time outdoors on a chain.

Description

As well as looking for loving homes for our rescue "mutts", we are also seeking foster homes, who will help with the transition process - from abandoned / neglected / relinquished lifestyles to forever second chance families.

Tracey Morine

Hi Ellen,

I hope this is where we comment about a deserving animal shelter. I live in Nova Scotia Canada. There is an animal shelter called Baie Ste. Marie Animal Shelter in a little place called Church Point. It is run by an amazing couple. Their names are Joey and Leta Wagner. They are a husband and wife team. Their shelter has been built by themselves and is being expanded by them and donations made to them. They rescue animals all the time and recently in the past year they rescued an abused pitbull which they named Mojo. They have a facebook account set up called "Hope for Mojo" where you can follow Mojo's story. Some of the pictures are pretty graphic but there is a happy ending. This amazing couple has funded a lot of their animals needs by themselves. Mojo's story has touched a lot of hearts and donations have been made to help with his care. He actually had to be taken out of the province for medical attention. I know there are a lot of deserving shelters and I have never personally met this couple but by following Mojo's story one can certainly see the love and kindess these people have given to their animals. I hope you take a look at Mojo's story and an inside look at what these magnificent people do. I'm sure you will be as touched reading Mojo's story as I was'

Sicerely, from one of your biggest fans...Tracey Morine

Christina Ray

I am not sure if this is where we comment for the deserving shelter or not, but I hope so. Ruff Patch Rescue (based in West Jordan, UT) is not a shelter, but a rescue group. All of the dogs that we rescue live in foster homes, so they can be taught to live with a family, and so that we know all about their personality, and special quirks from first hand experience. Because it is a small rescue, there is not a lot of money, so every family that fosters, pays for food out of their own pocket and are happy to do so. The leader of our Ruff Patch family is named Stacie and she is amazing. She is a Vet Tech at a local veterinarian clinic and has taught all of us so much about how to train, how to socialize, how to do even simple things when it comes to the sweet doggies. We have a website for people to view our adoptable animals, plus a Facebook page. Every Saturday we hold adoption events (in fact two Saturdays each month are held at the Petco in Draper Utah!)and almost all of our foster families attend the adoptions to be able to talk about each pup with their potential new families. My Ruff Patch family is amazing and the donation would really help with medical costs and with potentially finding other foster families that can help to expand our wonderful rescue group.

Teri Kraegenbrink

Im not sure if this is where I let you know about a deserving shelter, but I couldn't find a link anywhere on the website. I live in Medford Wisconsin, its a small town, with even a smaller animal shelter. This shelter is the only one within about 50 miles, so you can imagine how over crowded it is. It is so over crowded that that they have to stack the cats on top of each other in crates!! :( it is very saddening to go there and see this. If they would win the contest I cant imagine the things they could do for these animals! This would help them tremendously. Thank you for being such a awesome advocate for these little creatures that cant do it them selves! Thanks Ellen We all love you!

Lori

Hello Ellen,
I'm actually writing to let you know that I think that our animal shelter should be saved. We live in a rural area and on Fourth of July my family does the fireworks for our community . So I decided to ask for donations for our pike county humane socity . I was very disappointed on how rude people could be, I did have some people give some money in total I only got 95.00 two bags of food and some blankets. When I went to the shelter with my niece the next day I was sad and happy at the same time, sad because their is a lot of animals,happy to see the dedication that the people who work their have. I know that for a while our shelter is struggling very much to stay open and if it close well I don't want to think about that because it will just be bad for all of the animals, their is not another shelter around milford pa where I live so I ask you please to help our little and big four legged babies. I wish I could help volunteer but I can't do to my disabilies. So I ask if you can consider pike county humane socitey to win the grant.
Lori breves

Natasha Ponder

I'm not sure if this is where I mention about deserving shelters or not, but here goes. I live in Maine. Yes, that little state everyone forgets about. In Houlton, Maine there is a place called Houlton Humane Society. That shelter is run by a magnificent woman named Heather Miller. Heather rescues animals every single say. She recently rescued 2 special needs cats from IRAN!! She owns a lot of animals, mostly special needs ones. She also runs a rabbit rescue called Hoppity Heaven Rabbit Rescue FROM HER HOME. She is awesome and so many little lives have been saved. She is truly deserving. Heather is also very physically ill. Even though she struggles with herself, she gets out of bed everyday to help others who can't speak for themselves. Ellen, I encourage you from the bottom of my heart to check out the Facebook page and explore this great place. Stop by even!