Did You Beat The Odds to Get Into College?

Are you struggling financially, but still managed to get in to the college of your dreams? Have you overcome great obstacles and still managed to get accepted to an amazing school? We want to hear from you! If you defied the odds by getting into college, but are having a hard time covering tuition, we want to hear your story.

Comments

Auntroni

Bananas!!! Just seeing this link as I just sent info regarding my son Corey to the "Do you know someone that needs help" link. Hopefully you will still get. <3

cydney rodriguez

Hi Ellen!
I just want to start by saying I love your show, its always so fun to watch! My name is Cydney and I'm a 26 year old single mother. I know it may seem you get a lot of emails from us moms... but I hope you read mine. I have myself in quite the predicament... almost three years ago I had a life set for success. I was on the honors list in a bachelors program for graphic design, I had just bought my first home with my then husband, I had the cutest, healthiest little boy a mother could ask for, an almost perfect credit score, and I was so happy! Everything seemed so right after over coming so many obstacles as I was growing up. As a small child I was a victim of physical and sexual assult, a product of a broken home, struggled through my teens with rape, drugs, and alcohol ... yet somehow managed to pull it together when I had to help my mom raise my sisters kids my senior year, working to pay for my grad expenses and to support myself because my mom had several medical issues and money was tight.. and I got my diploma but didn't even get to walk with my class because of discrepancies with my transcripts. After what I thought was my biggest failure, not being able to walk as the first of my generstion on both my fathers and my mothers side, I still kept pushing forward because not going to college was never an option for myself. I've always been an artist, ever since I could remember. I thought maybe if I was a designer, I could influence peoples emotions enough to make a positive change, whether its politically, within a business, or a society. Once I started going to the Art Institute I knew that it was in fact my destiny to be an artist becuase there's nothing in this world I am more passionate about than I am about inspiring others or helping people who have been struck with the geivances I have myself. As I approached my junior year in college, I suffered yet another set back. I got very ill. About six months after I had my son, I went in to acute liver failure and found that I had advanced cirrhosis with no known cause. I tried to push through it and keep going to school on a part time basis, but I only got sicker. After about six months I was diagnosed with wilsons disease. Luckily there was treatment... however, by the time I was diagnosed I had to leave school because I was too weak to even hold my own baby and take care of him let alone drive to school. The psychological damage of being told I could die, being told I'd never have another child, having to drop out of school, quit my job, and being the only person I knew with this scary disease that I'd be a slave to for the rest of my life really took its toll. I became severely depressed, submersed in my sorrows and self pity. Unfortunately I lied down and let tragedy win my spirit, my soul, my hard work, my passion, and my love for art. I let my life go. I walked away from my marriage, my home, and art. The sole reason I'm alive today is because of the only thing I couldn't walk away from, my son. He's my best friend, my hero, and the greatest love of my life. The blessing of being a mother is something ill never understand... but I hope it was God's way of saying that despite the hell I went through as a child, that I was capable of being the parent I wish I had. I love my parents because they are my parents, but I wish so much they could see the world through my eyes for a day. Fast forward three years to today, I have managed to take a few steps forward. . I have had my job and excelled at it for the last two years, I have been living on my own for about 9 months, and have gotten my life somewhat settled enough to go back to school and finish my degree. But this is where my problem lies. The total tuition I have left to pay is about $8000.00. My federal student loans have gone to collections because I have been unable to return to school and I guess my monthly income of $1700.00 is too much to not have an economical defferrence. So I do not qualify for any kind of government financial aid and eight thousand dollars is kind of pricey for a seventeen hundred dollar monthly income. I want to finish what I started Ellen... not just for me, but for my son and the rest of the world too. I have so many hearts I want to touch, stories I want to tell. And maybe if I'm lucky even change a few lives. I can't do that at my job. I do not have many options... the only thing I can think to do is ask for help so that I can pay it forward. If I still have whoever's attention that may be reading this, thank you for your time and if there is nothing you can do or someone who needs it more I understand. Just please say a quick prayer for me that something devine may come my way! Thank you again.

Kelly Flynn

Hi Ellen!
The name is Kelly, I am a 21 year old single mother to a very handsome four year old little boy from Wisconsin. I am currently in school for child care services, I wouldn't say at the college of my dreams but then again I never really gave myself that option. I became a mom within the first month of my senior year, in fact homecoming night I was laying on the table.
I am going for child care services in hopes to one day open my own in-home daycare. I love my children, the joy and happiness they bring me every single day is beyond unexplainable. I do not make much money, in fact it's barely over minimum wage. I am my sons only parent, my income is what is supporting us and getting me through college.
I know some will say, "find a better paying job." As much as I dislike scraping up spare change every week for gas money to get to and from work and school; I wouldn't want to be in any other field.
I have roughly a year left of school until I will be able to spread my wings and fly on my own. But the downfall, you need money. I have been struggling for awhile, but I refuse to let it bring me down.
Watching you help all these single parents, disabled, so on so forth; pushes me a little bit further everyday. It is reassuring knowing that somebody is still out there who is beyond willing to help someone.
Thank you for being such a great inspiration!
-Kelly

Suki1992

Yes Ellen! I have beaten the odds to get into the College of my dreams.

It has always been my dream/goal to become a Lawyer and create my own Law Firm after it. I know that it's a really tough path that awaits me going "solo," after my degree, but I really want to be independent when making my decisions when helping other people with my future profession. I believe I have what it takes to do so, and I also believe this is my calling, and where my heart wants to be.

I sent my inquiry a few days ago explaining my situation, please help me! I received my Unconditional Offer this September 25th, and I am required to make a full payment before Nov 25th to start my classes this January 6th, 2014.

Your assistance will make a big difference in my life, because I don't want to be here in this current position, I don't want to be what the world wants me to be, I want to more, and excel.

I have all my supporting do***ents ready if you desire to verify the above.

Thanks for given us all this opportunity to share with you.

God bless you :-)

John Kellogg

I move into my college in 12 days. It has been a month and a half since I talked to someone, at Ellen, on the phone about my predicament. I was hoping my chances of getting on the show would be higher since I actually talked to someone, but who knows at this point. I am just waiting and hoping for a miracle.

Here is the link to the video I was told to make for her. I hope she has actually seen it and I wasn't mislead. God bless

Julio Suarez

*Dear Viewers and Ellen,

Please help my friends go back to college. Every bit counts! Every share helps!
Ellen can only do so much and it is up to us to change the world by helping each other. Is that not what she asks of us by signing off with "Be kind to one another." Please share :)

"Nick and I are trying to raise money to be able to afford returning to college this year. For those of you that know us, you know how much it would mean for us to be able to do so; for those of you that don't know us that well, it would mean the world to us to be able to continue our educations. Any donation, big or small, helps; if each of my Facebook friends only donated $5, we'd be halfway there! Please share this with anyone you know that may be interested in helping two young men advance their lives in the hopes of contributing to society and helping others. If we can't raise the money, neither of us will be able to attend college this fall."

Rasheeda Smith

Hi Ellen this is the Smith sisters' again, we previously submitted an entry for “Did you beat the odds of getting into college” and wanted to update our submission. Unfortunately we had to un enroll from college and search for a full time job. Putting our dreams of becoming doctors on hold due to the lack of funds. It would mean so much to us if you could possibly assist us getting back on our feet.

Rasheeda Smith

Akenese Lealamanua

*Sigh* Hi Ms. Ellen,

I am not a ‘people’ person, I’m not good at socializing, talking, asking questions or anything from someone because I might say something wrong, and I try to handle things myself without asking for help. However, I have three more semesters left of school and I don’t know how I’m going to pay for my tuition. I’m Samoan, I attend Texas A&M University-Commerce and I’m not eligible for any financial aid. I have private student loans that covered the last two semesters and I have to figure out a way to pay for the rest. I also have a scholarship of $1,500 a semester which it’s not enough. I can’t get a job outside of campus unless it’s an internship program. I’ve applied to so many internship programs this summer but none was a success. I am the oldest in my family and the first one to attend college. I have always wanted to become an Accountant and it’s something I can only picture myself to be in the future. I may not be smart or the best student out there but I have so much faith and confidence in myself that I can do anything. I almost didn’t make it to school because of my student visa which took me two years to wait for it to be processed. I was told to stay and change my major to Education because it’s the only Bachelor degree offered back home but I don’t like it. So I took the risk of coming all the way here knowing I would have to face what I’m dealing with now. I have come this far and I cannot and will not quit. I can handle five classes every semester, I have a good GPA and that is something to me. I’m sure other students are going through the same situation and I know it’s hard but if there’s a way, if there’s a way Ellen you can help me please, it would be very much appreciated. I am not a U.S citizen or U.S national but I was raised academically in the American system in American Samoa and now in the U.S, and because of that, I cannot wait to get that degree so I can help give back something in appreciation of the support and knowledge I am now proud of.

I am such a huge fan of yours I would normally use my study hours at the library hiding someplace quite where I would cry and laugh without anyone knowing. You put a smile on everyone’s face every day Ellen and just for that, THANK YOU SO MUCH, it is what keeps me going. Thanks also to your employees (hey Andy) for doing such a marvelous job on preparing and putting up a good show. Thank you for reading this Ellen, may God bless you, your employees and of course your family. l.akenese@gmail.com

Akenese Lealamanua