Ellen is weighing in on the conversation surrounding the policies of Abercrombie & Fitch.

"I know a lot of kids watch this show, so I wanna say one more thing to you all," she said. "What you look like on the outside is not what makes you cool. At all. I mean, I had a mullet and I wore parachute pants for a long, long time. And I’m doing ok."

"What’s important is that you’re healthy and you’re happy. That’s the most important thing. And now that I’ve made myself clear, I would like to dance.”

Comments

(Page 2 of 2) Newer12
Liz Acris

I think you should arrange some sort of meeting up of larger ladies and decend on A&F and try everything on leaving it all untidy and leave the store in disarray or arrange a boycott of the A&F store/s
Regards
liz

Carmen Herrera

The point that Ellen is trying to make is the fact that Abercrombie and Fitch are telling the youth that they have to be tiny to be beautiful. That they should be able to fit in size 0 or 00. That being skinny DEFINES you and will make you ACCEPTED. It is reinforcing the fact that you have to be skinny to be beautiful in Western Culture. What if your natural body type is bigger than that? This Western culture is causing eating disorders, depression, suicides, etc. It is harmful to both WOMEN and MEN. Everyone's body shape is different and unique and beautiful, and if any clothing store is not willing to fit the people who are naturally small or big or people who have the misfortune of having an unhealthy diet, then why waste your time shopping at places that want to control your lifestyle and what you wear and profit off of it?

Unfortunately, America is getting bigger due to unhealthy diets, exercise, you name it. Some of it is in our genes, some of it is a modifiable risk factor that can be avoided. This is a completely separate issue that does need to be solved, but the answer is not limiting clothing sizes of places teens and other folk to shop at. Some people, especially teens and tweens, will feel pressured to lose weight in more unhealthy ways than healthy ways to fit that clothing, to be cool, to be accepted.

Then, you ask yourself, why should we even shop at these places that are obvious rip offs and probably use some inhumane way to manufacture their clothing? What is the effect on the environment? What do they do with the clothing they do not sell? There are many issues with big corporation companies such as Abercrombie, and the point that Ellen brings up is one of these many serious ones. Thank you Ellen, for addressing the topic and spurring conversation.

joseph kindler

Oh please, go shop somewhere else if you're a fatty. Are normal sized people demonstrating outside of Lane Bryant? No because they know they can't get anything there so they go to a different store. Problem solved. Quit whining people

2 Replies
vicki pipes

HEY HEY HEY !!!
Wait one second... I am a small petite person,, that is just who I am ! and do you know how hard it is to find grown up clothes to fit me ?? Almost impossible, I am so MAD that everyone is putting A&F on blast !! There are TONS of places for big people to buy clothes, but where are the places for small adults to buy clothes ?? Almost NONE ! Thank goodness for A&F I can at least buy sweatshirts and sleeping clothes there... without looking like a child.. !! We are the true minority through no fault of our own !! Poor big people... get over it ! It takes all kinds.
Vicki

Jennifer

I too am sickened by Abercrombie's business model and agree with your point that it's what is on the inside that matters. However, I just have to say, I am currently wearing a size 00. I used to be a size 0 or 2. Now I swim in those sizes. A double zero, are you kidding me?! I attribute this to manufacturers selling clothing in sizes that will make people feel better about themselves. So where once someone was a 4 or 6, now they'll fit into a 2. I'm 5'3'' and 125 pounds, I've got boobs. I've had a c-section, I have a three-year old, I love chocolate. I don't consider myself tiny or model skinny and am still completely shocked that I'm wearing size 00 pants. It's frustrating to go shopping because I don't fit into the sizes I used to. There are plenty of women smaller than me, what size are they wearing? It used to be that there was just a size 0 or an XS but now there is XXS and 00. It's just what happens I guess when people are getting larger. Just so people realize that just because I'm small doesn't mean it's easy for me to find clothes that fit. Regardless, I'm of healthy body type and weight and hope that you inspire girls out there to be confident but above all to be healthy.

Elizabeth

Dear Ellen,

I normally find your commentary pretty humorous and I generally agree with many of your opinions; however, I think the comments you made regarding Abercrombie's announcement that they will be limiting the size range of their clothing can be construed as offensive to some.

I am 37 now, but when I was in high school, I was a size 00, which as you claim was 'nothing'. Yes, it is small, but I wasn't completely developed either. And I wasn't alone. Most of my peers were of similar sizes as well. Those were the norms then.

As I walk into my daughter's high school today, I am surrounded by girls much larger in size. I blame our unhealthy American diets along with our always on the go lifestyles for this.
As a generalization, our American society does not take care of itself resulting in the average person weighing far more than twenty years ago.

Getting back to Abercrombie, if you have ever stepped foot in that store, you would quickly realize that the demographic that they are targeting is the high school/early college age bracket. In general, this population should be able to fit into Abercrombie clothing and that includes size 00 or 0.

Low riding short shorts and cropped tops simply do not look good on a heavier frame. You may not like this, but it is a fairly accurate statement. We should dress to our body styles and not wear whatever without considering what is most appropriate. For instance, I am top heavy. I am not going to walk around in a deep plunging top just because I like it unless of course I do not care what society has to say, but regardless of how I might feel, I will be labeled by those around me and if I walk into an employment setting my plunging neckline may not be well received and the repercussion will be mine to feel.

My second point that I would like to address is your comment about size 00 or 0 being 'nothing'. This statement along with the surrounding commentary you gave infers that the larger the better. That is insulting to all women that are in the single digit size bracket. Are we 'nothing'? Perhaps I am reading way too much into this, but I am tired of having to defend my healthy lifestyle choices while everyone tiptoes around the feelings of obese people.

Finally, what size is Portia?

patti calimano

Bravo Ellen! I am one of those plus sizes. I cringe each time I need to shop for an outfit. I am a teacher and I constantly hear jokes about my weight. I have been diagnosed with some medical issues that are causing the weight, went to get bypass and the company dropped it from the insurance plan. Now what? So Fitch, we can't all fit the mold and it is time some companies realize that there are larger people too!

Robin Steinberg

I agree that A&F have created a PR nightmare but let's face it...all retailers target a certain demographic. They are just smart enough not to talk about it in such a disgusting way. Let's find some ad's that actually show 'real people' who are not a size '0'. I bet this is hard to do unless you are Dove. I am all for that and btw Ellen - you may sell up to XXL in your store but the only people shown wearing your clothing are clearly not even close to a XXL. Practice what you preach - JUST SAYING.

(Page 2 of 2) Newer12