Pennies might be going the way of the dinosaur, but Ellen has some great ideas for what you can do with your old pennies if they become obsolete!

Comments

(Page 2 of 3) Newer123Older
Andrea

AV-W is an amazing school trying to accomplish an amazing task... the 3rd graders are trying to collect a MILLION PENNIES as they learn about the history of our community and how this amazing task was accomplished 60 years ago to help build our first hospital... now we want to use the money to fund scholarships as well as directly fund our school!

Joanne FitzPatrick

I am also a teacher at the Arbor Vitae Woodruff Elementary school and we are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the 1953 Million Penny Parade that happened at our school. We are on a mission to repeat this awesome community service of collecting a million pennies and donating the money. The funds we raise will help support the Dr. Kate Museum in our community as well as a scholarship fund for AV-W graduates and other community based learning at our school through the Arbor Vitae Woodruff Education Foundation.
Our elementary school students are working hard to get the word out and we have even made a few videos to share our mission.

In 1953 Dr. Kate was featured on The Ralph Edwards Show "This is Your Life" and pennies came from all over the country and world! Could you help us repeat this TV show connection? Could some of our students come be on the Ellen Show and tell the world about what to do with their pennies? It would be a blast, and our students and community would love it!

Now you know what to do with the pennies...send them our way..postage paid of course ;) or you could always hand deliver them!

Please visit www.avw.k12.wi.us or avwef.org for more information.

Shannon Steiner

Arbor Vitae-Woodruff School's version of the Million Penny Shake!

Please help us collect one million pennies!

Shannon Steiner

Please send your pennies to Arbor Vitae-Woodruff School in northern Wisconsin! (We also accept and welcome other larger denominations.) We are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Million Penny Collection and are once again trying to collect one million pennies. See link below for more details.

Mail to: AVW School Million Collection
11065 Old Highway 51 North
Arbor Vitae, WI 54568

Toni Polfus

We saw your story on what to do with pennies if they are discontinued....
Dr. Kate was featured on The Ralph Edwards Show "This is Your Life"
Pennies came from all over the country and world!
We are on a mission to repeat this awesome community service. The funds we raise will help support the Dr. Kate Museum in our community as well as a scholarship fund for AV-W graduates and other community based learning at our school through the Arbor Vitae Woodruff Education Foundation.
or....you could help us reenact the Ralph Edwards Show on your set, it would be a blast,
and our students and community would love it!
Please visit www.avw.k12.wi.us or avwef.org for more information.

Cathy Oxley

I am also a teacher at Arbor Vitae Woodruff School. Pennies play an important role in our town and our school. We are Arbor Vitae Woodruff Elementary school and we are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the 1953 Million Penny Parade that happened at our school. The million pennies helped fund the building of the first hospital in our area for a Doctor named Kate Newcomb.
Dr. Kate was featured on The Ralph Edwards Show "This is Your Life"
Pennies came from all over the country and world!
and our students and community would love it!
Please visit www.avw.k12.wi.us or avwef.org for more information.

Luke Aschbrenner

I know something you can do with the pennies. The school I work at is trying to collect 1,000,000 pennies. We are trying really hard to get the word out not just in Wisconsin(where we are) but the whole country. Send them to AV-W School in Arbor Vitae, WI. We'll take them all! Love you Ellen!

Lisa McMahon

We saw your story on what to do with pennies if they are discontinued....
Dr. Kate was featured on The Ralph Edwards Show "This is Your Life"
Pennies came from all over the country and world!
and our students and community would love it!
Please visit www.avw.k12.wi.us or avwef.org for more information.

Heather Davis

Hey Ellen,
What to do with pennies? A group of local NH students has an idea for what to do with 6 million pennies. They are collecting 6 million pennies to represent the 6 million Jewish lives lost in the Holocaust.

The group of girls visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. last May as part of an 8th grade trip. The experience was so deeply moving to them that they felt compelled to do something to help educate others, to prevent genocide anywhere again and to foster understanding. They formed "Everyone Counts - the penny project". They came up with the idea that pennies are tossed aside daily, nobody notices but each is unique in some way and each counts. In the Holocaust, few took notice of the individual losses but each life counted and mattered, and when added up, the sheer magnitude of loss is overwhelming and sometimes incomprehensible, especially to youth. The 6 million pennies raised would serve as a visual representation to make this more understandable. Then, the sixty thousand dollars would be donated to other causes chosen by the youth.
Pretty cool for a group of kids, huh? Those girls are now 9th graders at Kearsarge Regional High School in Sutton, NH. They have a teacher from their middle school acting as an advisor for their group. They have formed a Facebook page and website too. Their school trip sparked something special in these teens. Whether they meet their goal of 6 million pennies or not, they've certainly helped educate others and are an inspiration.

morgan

My mom just made this amazing picture out of pennies. https://twitter.com/mborsa4/status/306168040230354945/pho...

maryann poverman

I wish god made more of you!!!!! Glad you share yourself with the world... sometimes It's hard to get out of bed to do day in and out of daily life.. you make it easy for so many.. just wanted to say thank you... Maryann

Ray Jr.

you should watch my videos ive been posting them on your facebook page for a while,they are funny,love your show ellen and have loved your laughter and spirit,it wont let me add my link,but got to youtube and look under "update for Ellen Degeneres & Some Dancing lol" for starts, Im just trying to get a friends story heard & personaly would just love to dance on your show with you, you have brought me happiness for years, if you wanna see my friends story His video I made for him after being on the fox and friend show live is Under "Hero in NYC" if you can check them out it would be greatly appreciated, he needs help this man has no car and little money,is battling health issues and still manages to get his beautiful little 4 year old Elsie off to school with a smile on her face,He is my Hero and i just want his story to be at least Heard and maybe a car lol so he can get that precious one to school, thank you Ellen for listening and Ill be seeing you on your show X8X

Annette

Ellen, several yrs ago my science lab students K-2 had a "Penny Drop". This was to save enough pennies to buy a class room pet. We voted on a white, umbrella ****atoo. The pennies began to come in. Each class designed their own "penny drop" container. At the time there were close to 800 students of whom came to science lab once a week. I loved my job. We made charts/graphs from each class, we studied about the U.S. Mint, used our digital microscope to view the design of the penny and its changes or the yrs. We did experiments w/pennies for ex: we used a dropper to guess how many drops of water a penny could hold. You'd be amazed. Give it a try. All along we continued to research and study all about the penny. We raised apprx. $1,200. The last week I had volunteers to come in to roll pennies. One of the businesses in town finally loaned us their penny rolling machine. Each morning a student would bring their collection boxes to empty into our large plastic container. The kids were so excited. It ended up that the pennies almost filled up one of the huge garbage cans. We discovered that we could not move this huge garbage can. It began to loose its shape as we began to pick it up. So many great observations and applying the scientific method came from this endeavor.
It came time for us to transport the pennies to the bank. We had several parents to come in and fill smaller containers, that we then placed on a push cart to take the pennies to the pick up truck ( another opportunity to learn about how money moves around in the U.S.). I'll never forget what I thought would be a simple fund raiser that became one of my most favorite times in learning more along with the children. The children were fascinated how "elegant" hotels would wash the coins, etc. And of course we had to make some of ours shine with vinegar and water.

I do believe for the first time, our school science lad made a large deposit in our local by "pickup truck"! We bought a ****atoo by majority rule. We were able to buy a large iron cage on casters and he visited each classroom. The children named him by writing about him after observing him. We narrowed the names to 3 and by popular vote we named him, Casper. He became our White Knight as our school wide mascot were the Arabian Knights.
We learned so much about our feathered friends and we had many visitors from all over the state to come visit our science lab.  I was so fortunate to be given the opportunity to not only teach children but I quickly became a student of theirs as well. We grew and learned together those wonderful 10 years that I spent never working a day because I was blessed to be able to do something that I truly loved. I kept journals during my time with them. I kept a cardboard mailbox like the big ones outside the post office so the children could write to me, draw pictures and share whatever was on their minds. They would come to science lab once a week for 30 minutes and I felt like the kids were so hungry to be heard so I left paper on top of our mailbox that the kids could use. They could drop letters by on their way to lunch or whenever it was a convenient time for them. I loved seeing their faces light up when the would see me smile as they would open the door an make a delivery. I needed the kids much more than they needed me. But with days so crammed with hours of conventional studies it felt good to give them a time to be heard. There were days, though, when I felt a need to let them be heard and to just share about how they had lost their puppy, or to share the loss of a grandparent or to share about winning a swim match or overcoming fears.

My mom use to always tell me to pick up pennies because it may be that very penny that would make me a "millionaire". I have a love for pennies. "A penny saved is a penny earned." To this day I can not pass up a chance to add to my pocket of savings. Now when I pick up a penny I think about a happy time in my life or whisper a prayer for someone I'm thinking about.

I think it's too soon to say goodbye to the penny. Maybe we should rethink how our lives would be changed. I still save pennies. Maybe I will start looking closer to find my old friend whether heads up or not, it still holds value in my book. :-)

Toni Baldini

I think that everyone who comes to the show should bring their "jar" of pennies and donate them to the Gentle Barn! Love you, Ellen & Portia!

Carol Harrison

Loved the shoe idea. Here in Ontario, (Canada) there are multiple organizations, they call themselves Grannies4Grannies and they make unwanted pennies into jewellry. I think they're then sent to Africa to help Grandmothers there...make their own money. There's a HUGE penny bottle at the bank I deal with and my spouse and I, we donate all our pennies to the bottle. I've kept the last 2012 shiny penny for sentimental reasons.

(Page 2 of 3) Newer123Older