The Boy Scouts have delayed their vote on whether they will allow gay people to join their organization. Ellen discussed it in her monologue.

Comments

Sandra Soto

Ellen, I have been so blessed to be able to watch you everyday. I love your kindness and way of defending the people that are afraid to speak up. I agree with you about the eagle scouts, I don't believe they should keep our gay brothers or sisters out of something they love to do. They don't realize that the very fact that they push them away can become the very reason most people become depressed and or commit suicide. I pray to god that this stops everywhere around the world and anyone can join any organization without any problems. Keep up the good job and GOD bless you.

Sincerely,

Sandra Soto

Marlayna

Why was Canada and other countries not mentioned along with the UK in being supportive of gay rights? As a Canadian and supporter of LGBT rights I would have expected more than just the UK to have been acknowledged.

John

John
Houston, Texas

February 7, 2013

To my personal hero and champion, Ms. Ellen DeGeneres,

I have been rarely moved in my life so much that I felt the need to reach out to someone I will never know and express my gratitude to someone who will never know me, but this afternoon I was so touched and moved by your simple but utterly profound statements regarding our little brother who was denied becoming an Eagle Scout simply because HE IS as he was created.

When I first heard about that issue several days ago, it broke my heart – yet once again - for all the fear, hatred, ignorance and discrimination that has been leveraged against so many individuals, including myself, by so many others who consider anything or anyone who may be “different” from what “they” consider the norm.

When I heard your simple, eloquent, rational and graceful statements concerning this young man, it touched my heart on so many levels and has kept me on the verge of tears (and many times beyond the “verge”) for this entire day. In my own life as a professional person, who only wanted nothing more than to live my life in quiet dignity, these same issues have always been an inescapable fact of life to face and work through.

Please know that your powerful, graceful, intelligent and loving voice of reason and respect for all people echoes around the world and that so many, especially your older brothers and sisters, of all races, colors and creeds thank their God(s) – who are addressed by many names, known and unknown – that YOUR voice speaks for justice, human value and freedom for so many who have never had a voice. If only I had had an “Ellen” in the 1950’s, I know that my life would have been so very different because there would have been a respected role model to imitate and provide reassurance. In those days, the only voices we heard were those who told us that “we” were not worthy to even breathe the same air of that of “decent” people.

You, dear lady, have been given such special gifts of insight, strength, power and love and so many of us understand that you have chosen to make personal sacrifices on the altar of justice for the benefit of so many. Know, please, that you are so loved, treasured and respected by many so individuals on this earth that you will never know……..but somehow, I hope and pray with all my heart that you can feel the care, love and appreciation that is sent to you every minute of every day.

When I was very young, I was a “golden child” to whom was granted practically anything I chose to pursue. Due to a number of tragic events over the past 20 years, however, my life has changed radically. I lost my profession due to physical conditions and am presently completely disabled and essentially house-bound and will spend my last few remaining years in a situation completely contrary to what I had expected and what was expected for me. My life experiences, however, have been extraordinarily rich and unimaginable for most people………………and I have no regrets.

One of the great benefits of being at home constantly for the past couple of years is that every weekday, at 3:00 PM, I now have a glass of wine with one of the most charming and inspiring ladies I have ever know…..and in the privacy of my own kitchen! At this point in my life, my little glass of chardonnay comes from a screw top bottle instead of one with a cork. But when the “ellen” show begins and this lovely lady so full of smiles, compassion, love and generosity appears, I feel as though I am having the finest vintage of Dom Pérignon ever created!

Thank you, Ellen, for having been for so long the voice of the disenfranchised. Not just for the Gay Community, but for all peoples. Please, never stop. One day, history will look back on your many accomplishments, not only your artistry and talent, but also your kindnesses, compassion and the extraordinary ability to give to so many a sense of self-worth and dignity, and will refer to you, at the very least, as the giver of joy, hope and salvation and as a profound conduit of pride in one’s own abilities without guilt or shame to so many…..and at the very least, a Goddess of the 21st Century!

With great affection, admiration and gratitude, I am
Respectfully yours,

john

Rodrigue Glaure

Ellen i am watching you every single day. I love you because you're so funny. I have one problem. I understand that you choose to be gay. That is your choice. I would let just live people do their choice not some how push them to fallow me.
I don't know if i really explain myself to you.
Remember that we love you and we wish you lot of good things in your live.
May God be with you and open your eyes so you can see the sky.

Love you, Ellen.

Kimberly Grady

Dear Ellen,
I have been a fulltime working employee for 30+ years. I love what I do, have now been able to work in healthcare to assist others nationwide and really help to make a difference.I am very much invovled in Patient Quality and Safety for all. I am writing to say that you are great to help with others who are in need. I have been unemployed after a company lay off since October 2012. This has allowed me to watch your show more than I ever have, and I really enjoy it. I am so hopeful I will get another job that God has been planning for me. In the meantime I have to scamble, as unemployment does not pay even for my rent, let alone food, utilities, etc....I hope I get something soon as I also have a son in college and need to pay 10,000,00 by August. Not sure what will happen and have used my retirement a bit, sacrificing any future funds.I am also strapped because after a divorce, I am in heavy debt.
I appreciate to hear that there are others out there that are willing to use resources to assist others.

Thans so much for being you, keep up the awesome job.

Tom Heisler

Ellen,

Heard your comments today about gays in Boy Scouts. I agree with you.....in part. I believe that gay boys SHOULD be allowed in the Scouts. I DO NOT however, believe that gay men should be allowed to be adult Scout Leaders any more than I believe that straight men should be allowed to be adult Girl Scout leaders or that straight women should be allowed to be adult Boy Scout (NOT Cub Scout) leaders.

Attraction to the opposite sex, or to the same sex in the case of Gays, is ALWAYS present. Witness the several recent scandals regarding teachers who have had affairs with their young students.

I am a Retired U.S. Army Colonel (30 years). When I was training 17 and 18 year old recruits as a Company Commander, I discovered that one of my best Drill Sergeants was sexually abusing several of my young trainees using his authority to coerce them. When one of the boys finally came forward to report the abuse, I was forced to recommend the Sergeant for a General Courts Martial. He lost his military career of 16 years and went home to Chicago and committed suicide! This still haunts me, but it is just another example of how an individual in a position of authority can easily take advantage of their position.

I look forward to YOUR response.

cyndi

You expressed the very thing I feel about the Boy Scout issue. First there should not br an issue. These are young boys and young men who would be able to learn to be better citizens. The very thing we want all our young people to learn. Thank you tor voicing mine and I am sure others feelings so well.