Help Kyle Chandler's Daughter Stop Shark Finning!

Kyle Chandler, star of "Friday Night Lights" and "Argo," told Ellen about his incredible 11-year-old daughter, Sawyer, who wants to be a marine biologist. She's on a mission to stop the practice of shark finning, and you can help! Ending shark finning is a cause that Ellen cares about very much, and there's never been a more passionate or more adorable advocate than Sawyer! Find out more on her website.

Comments

Kara O'Rourke

Hi I am a little late to this blog. I am from Melbourne Australia and have had a love for sharks my whole life just like Sawyer. After watching 'Sharkwater' last year I couldnt get it out of my head it consumed my every thought. I have since spread the word on the internet and wrote a letter to my government searching for answers and proof that my country is doing something about. I even wrote to Ellen to possibly have Rob Stewart on her show. The survival of sharks is vital for the earths survival and I want to ask anyone who visits this blog to please tell as many people as possible about this movie. It will change your perception about sharks and motivate you to want to help them.

Mark

Ellen, Sawyer Chandler and her classmates at school joined my high school just two weeks ago for a concert we ran to celebrate sharks. Rob Stewart of Sharkwater was the keynote speaker and Sawyer got to ask her questions to him directly via Skype (along with her fellow students' questions). It was the coolest experience ever! We hope that one day Sawyer and Rob Stewart could maybe be on your show together. She has never met him and we would love to see this happen. It would be like closing the circle and would no doubt serve to inspire so many more youth to get engaged on helping the environment as many young people watch your show.

An article was posted to our website recently about the event with Sawyer Chandler's school. You can see it here: sonar2voice.com

Sawyer, great work!! You are an inspiration to youth as you teach us no matter how young you are you can make a difference!

Mr. Knowlton
Teacher
Sonar2Voice

Paul

Super cool, keep up the great work!
Marine Biology is an incredible and well needed field.
Paul
www.balisharks.com
(World's 1st Shark Conservation Nursery)

Christian

Great cause, Sawyer, and a very mature opinion on a subject that more people should be aware of. I tried to find a way to sign your petition but could not, so wanted to pass along this website that I found that gathers petitions on the halting of shark finning and thought you might want to sign them and also maybe create and post your own.

And Change.org is great for creating those petitions.

Best of luck and keep at it.

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Christian P.
Virginia

Heather Lane

Dear Sawyer,

first of all, I want to say how STOKED I am that YOU, young lady, got Ellen Degeneres to mention something SO important to me....to end the slaughter of sharks. Now it would be awesome if we could get her to say something about marine mammals in captivity and about the dolphin slaughters that go on Japan every year, even today as I write this.

Sawyer, my name is Heather and I live in Costa Rica. A lot of people from Texas come here to visit. I am originally from San Diego, California but came here for my love of this lush country. I live in a small town called Playa del Coco, right on the Pacific Ocean. I have been scuba diving and snorkeling hundreds of times and have swam next to nurse sharks, BULL sharks!, and white-tipped reef sharks. Of course they don't do anything to us. Funny thing; Bull sharks are afraid of the bubbles from scuba tanks so they don't come close. The white tipped reef sharks sleep during the day so when we're scuba diving, we can go right up and get our picture taken right next to them! If they wake up, they just get annoyed with us humans and swim away. You are absolutely right, people are afraid of them, and mostly because of the movie "Jaws" and the media.

A LOT of shark fining is done here in the waters of Costa Rica. Recently Costa Rica banned shark fins from coming off boats in the ports, so what the fisherman did to bypass this is unload the boats in Nicaragua and then drive them across the border so that the fins can be shipped to Asian countries.

It's a mess and it's so sad.

When I talk to people who used to live here in Playa del Coco 20 years ago, they say that saw fish and hammerhead sharks and tiger sharks all used to swim near the coast. Now there are none.
I used to eat fish until I learned about the fishing methods. Shrimping business is the worst. The US stopped importing shrimp from this country because of their harmful shrimping methods. They kill dolphins, turtles, sharks, they kill everything for a few shrimp. I became an herbivore actually just last year in September 2012 because I can eat animals now after everything I've learned.

There is an organization in Costa Rica that is working very hard to educate people on turtle and shark conservation. They are called "Pretoma." http://www.pretoma.org/sharks/

I own a sailing tour business down here, which is why I get to go scuba diving and snorkeling all the time. If you ever want to come down here, I would love to take you sailing and I could bring crew who have volunteered with Pretoma and you could talk to people who have scuba dived in Cocos Island and all over this area. I made the website (it's basic) but you can at least see the area and the boat. www.SeaBirdSailingExcursions.com is the site. I am not inviting you because of the fame of your dad (I admit that I did not know who he was until I saw the Ellen show yesterday.) I want to help you and inspire you, cause what you did yesterday blew me away. I am teary eyed now and yesterday because I am so happy YOU got Ellen to mention anti shark fining on her show that millions of people are watching!!!! Thank you so much for all you're doing!!

Heather Lane from Costa Rica

Sheila

I just want to let Sawyer know I agree with her on the sharks 100%!! Thank you for what you are doing about it. How can we sign the petition?

Charmaine Purser

Dear Sawyer, I am amazed and inspired by your desire to help the sharks. I know a lot of people think they are dangerous but they are an essential part of our
existance. My grandson, Andrew, who is 9 is also a great lover of marine life.
His big thing now is garden eels. And when he calls, we will speak for hours on whatever he is interested in at that time. Sometimes I feel that the earth does not
have a very optimistic future but when I hear of children like you and Andrew, you give me a feeling of hope. So congratulations, Sawyer, you are a special girl and your parents must feel so proud. And thank you for your efforts. God Bless.

Loriann

Great seeing Kyle on your show yesterday. And kudos to him and his wife for raising a child with goals and compassion. We need more parents and kids like this in our world today!

Angela Gaskell

How do we sign your petition Sawyer?

Melanie

OMG I was soooo HAPPY that chandlers little girl, Sawyer said she loved sharks and wanted to stop the shark fining slaughter! It is so awesome to hear about someone who cares for these beautiful, majestic creatures as i do, but also that it came from a girl and who is so young! I have always been so fond of sharks and even have shark tats to show my admiration for them. I wish i lived in Texas so I could help her there but i have always done what i could to get the word out here in Florida. U GO GIRL!!

Daniella

Hi, my name is Daniella and I am 13!! since 4 years ago when I picked great white sharks for a project I have been so obsessed and fantasized over sharks I LOVE THEM!! I went on Sayers website and was amazed! I only wish I had thought of something to do like her. in my home town of Halifax Canada I tried to raise awareness to my school about banning shark fishing and shark fin soup! Unfortunatly that didn't go to well! so I gave up
:( I regret it. thanks to sayer I am going to try and try again until I stop the restaurants that sell shark Finn soup in my town! There aren't a lot of girls our age that love sharks! and want to become marine or shark biologists when they are older (both are my dream jobs) so I would LOVE to help!! I will campaign a lot more and will never give up! Thankyou and if you could anyone who is reading this, just take a few hours of you time and watch the movie "shark water" and try not to cry like I did! thank you and again any help!!! and I am here :)

Tammy Reynolds

Ellen those underwear you gave Kyle Chandler are amazing! My dad could use a few pairs of those. He has Mitochondrial Muscle Wasting disease like I have and he has very little muscle left in his bottom to prevent pressure sores, so underwear like that would be a godsend. You should think about selling them in your store.

martha e benzler

you go lady it's not the good old boys club ant more