Help Caroline Play Football!

Ellen spoke to 11-year-old Caroline Pla, who won't be able to continue to play football next year because of gender discrimination. Help support Caroline and girls everywhere by signing her petition right here.

Comments

(Page 1 of 3) 123Older
Dominic Cornelius

I'm signing this petition because its so inspiring to see someone change the rules on what we as society have just taken as the norm, and that's not right society should be evolving everyday which it is and this living proof that it pays off to want to make change it's a delight to see, why shouldn't she not be able to play football? It's her choice and should be accepted! It's this male ego of superiority which is still around today woman once and still in some countries weren't allowed to work or do the basics that they do now but things have changed I hope that we as people can move forward and not be so pathetic in let this girl just play :)

Tabatha trevarton

Caroline I'm with you all the way I'm a girl just like you I LOVE to play football but just like you I'm not allowed because of that stupid rule do this partition for girls like us

sarah

I always wanted to play football but I always thought it was only for girls never knew that a girl could play and i hope you could play next season

Dawn Lorenzen

YES! to Caroline Pla and her petition- From a Football Playing, Football Loving Family.

David Mustin

Ellen,

Thought I'd share my speech with you from my football banquet where we've given out my award for 23 years since I was paralyzed in 1990.

Over the years of speaking at banquets I have always spoken what comes to mind and from the heart. This year though I felt compelled to have something in writing. But just because I am reading this to you tonight does not mean it is not from the heart.

Life, what do we know about it? There's no one real answer except that we know that we have our good days and our bad. But in our lives there seems to always be one constant that stays the same. Athletics. It is a rare family to be a part of and those of you that have the opportunity to experience these moments should not take them lightly. Everyone in this room tonight is surrounded by not only families that love them but also coaches that feel the same. Football is a sport of unity and sportsmanship. From practices in the spring, to two a days in the summer, all the hard work put in leads to ten weeks of living life one yard at a time. But when those 10 weeks are over in the fall and the helmets and shoulder pads are hung up, we must move on to all of the other challenges that face our daily life.

This award given out tonight in my name is based on three simple principles. Courage, spirit, and determination. These three words can easily be taken to heart and used not only on the football field but in our everyday lives. We all at some point will face adversity in some shape or form. It is how we deal with this adversity that makes us all the person we are today.

In my humblest opinion, letting your child be a football player is one of the best decisions you can make. Now many may ask, how can you say that about the sport of football? Yes, my injury occurred during football practice. But that doesn't make me love the sport any less. The life that has been given to me is just what it is, but, it is still a life. As I sit here in front of you, I am no different than anybody else. The only difference is I cannot walk. That is my daily challenge.

Tonight, there is one thing I hope you will learn (whether as freshman becoming upper classman, seniors going off to college, even as parents) Define your life, do not let life define you.

The player that earns this award tonight, is someone who has excepted their challenge throughout the entire year on and off the field. Which is why I believe this award goes beyond the realm of any sport. Whether it's a bad day at work, or an even worse day in the classroom. Each day is a new day and we can all start fresh every morning. So as this award goes to one individual who has shown these three attributes on and off the field. Remember, life on the football field is just what it is, a game. But once you step off of that field, the true challenge starts. Never let one person tell you that you cannot achieve your goals. For we all have a little courage, spirit, and determination inside of us.

Pearl Smart

The tragedy of today is that people are still judging one another based on not only color, but gender. I say if her parents are okay with it, who the hell has the right to tell her differently. Come on America, let this bias end.

Tash

Signed from Perth, Australia! Hope she gets her dream and all other girls out there too.

Lou Ann Ziegenhhorn

My grandson told me Caroline is his hero. He plays same position and we say let her play.

Jess

Hey Ellen,
I can't believe there doing this to her. I played football my freshman year of high school at Rancho Verde High. I went through Hell week, practices and played in a few games. The couldn't stop me then. They shouldn't stop her. Keep up the good fight Caroline :)

aly

The very sad reality is that no woman will play football at Notre Dame and women are in a great minority, especially in the State of Alaska (per another commenter). The best thing this young lady could do to save her life is a) pick a sport where she will not have concussions and b) never relocate to Alaska (where domestic violence towards women is so high). Keep the fight and stay tough young lady. Make your mark on something that can keep you physically safe.

1 Reply
Cynthia Cottrell

We all Have the Right to Grow by Doing What We Love & Pursue Our Dreams! You Go Girl!! Big Hugs

Amanda Barnett

Thank you Ellen for having her on your show! This story highlights the inequality and gender discrimination in sports. I hope the petition gets signed and we can eventually see Caroline play. It is sad that 40 years after title IX was passed in 1972 to stop gender discrimination in sports it is still occurring. Women should be allowed to play the sports that they enjoy and given the same opportunity as men. As a woman, I believe my athletic skill set is not fundamentally different than a man's skill set and it really comes down to training opportunities. Unfortunately it is an uphill battle and not every one shares my opinion. According to the Women's Sports Foundation, male athletes get $179 million more in athletic scholarships each year than females do. Additionally, collegiate institutions spend just 24 percent of their athletic operating budgets on female sports, as well as just 16 percent of recruiting budgets and 33 percent of scholarship budgets on female athletes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/247625-gender-discrimin...

Steve and Julie Squiller

Get out of the stone age people...Let the girl play football,she could be the next Aaron Rogers....

Julie Doolan

This is crazy!!! My son has been play for Pop Warner for 6 years in Alaska and we have been lucky enough to have a couple of girl play for us throughout the years. This past year on one of our teams we have two girls and they were key players in our season and state runner-up title!! LET THEM PLAY!!!

Bev

What a great story and I am behind her all the way.
My daughter is 36 now, but when she was in school I
went with her and watched her try out for the team.
She was not even considered. You could just sense it.
I am so glad things are finally turning around.

(Page 1 of 3) 123Older