Shutterfly Helps a Family in Need

Ellen's friends at Shutterfly came to the rescue of a family who needed their help. Find out all of the amazing ways you can commemorate your photos at Shutterfly.com!

Comments

(Page 5 of 13) Newer2345678Older
Lindsey

Hello Ellen!
I am writing about a family who has lost both of their parents within the past three years. I have recently become a member of a small sorority within my school in New York where I have had the honor and privilege to meet a great group of young women. Our president is such a strong, loving and incredibly loving person who just received the news that her father passed away. She also lost her mother her freshman year in college from a battle with cancer. As a 21 year old, she is now responsible for all of her younger siblings (19, 11, 10) who will grow up without their parents by their sides, something that I feel many of us take for granted.

I have known her for only a short time, however she is such a positive woman who inspires me to become a better person. I wish that there was something more that I, along with the other members of our sorority could do to help her family out in this difficult time, especially with Christmas just around the corner.

Please keep her and the rest of her family in your prayers during this hard time!
Thanks Ellen!

PENNY HARRINGTON

*Hi Ellen my name is Penny and I am writing about my family. My mother have cancer and it spread all through her body. The doctor said its nothing they can do but to leave it in god hands. I live in North Carolina and my family are in Washington DC. I been going back and forth to take care of her with my sister. She just got out the hospital last week and she cant stay in her home now so she is living with my sister now , it is getting close to her time and I just want my hold family to spend time with her for Christmas but my mini van is starting to act up and we don't have enough money to go to DC. I just brought my nephew home with me he lost his mother in October and his sister and brother are in DC to so it will make our wish come true.We just want to be with our family. Thank you Ellen

Lisa George

WOW, I can't believe I am writing Ellen..Big fan I watch your show while I'm doing my kids homework...LOL Two months ago I took on a part-time job to help make my kids Christmas great.. But a month in a half into the job I only received $450 in a salary and the company still owes me over $1000. I have been on them about the money but getting no response, my first job pays the house bills. All I want is for my kids to have a great Christmas it's not their fault I made a bad decision on my job choices. I know you do great and amazing things for other families I hope you can do something great for my kids.
Lisa George

Jennifer Hanna

Hi Ellen! I love hearing my mom watching your show then I get into it with the music. I torture my boys with the old stuff it sucks cuz they love it!!! I hate asking for help from anyone even my mom but I had to come back home to upstate NY from Utah. My Dad passed away last year to the date and my Husband he's epileptic, and same night my mom called to let us know, he started having seizures and they weren't stopping was in the hospital not awake over a week and because of a bed sore they operated he wasn't getting better and he's been through hell and I just talk to him daily on the phone and I hate that I can't be there in Utah. But I can't because I have MS and I can't walk and can't take care of both my sons so was able to get friends to get me out to my mom in NY! But I was leaving my "Big Daddy" behind and I've been so lost and he's been too and wants to be out here in NY with our boys and me. I just need a new smile (cuz MS ruined mine) and my "Big Daddy" in good care here in NY where I can go see him daily instead of calling. I know he'll get better quicker around our boys and me! Plus my mom she's the best cook and the hell we've both been through this year is crazy I don't know how I could ever repay her. This sounds weird Lyle's lucky number is 13, our son is 13 and its 2013. Think someone upstairs is sending message. I know it does take me awhile to get something but this is messed up! Got me laughing my ass off!! I don't know the first thing how to get Lyle here, where he'd be able to stay he's in a temp nursing home, I get so confused and too much going I can't handle. Just want him home in NY again.

Stephanie St Germaine

Hi Ellen! I am writing not for myself, but for a family in need in my community. Their son was born with an extremely rare genetic eye disorder called Anophthalmia. Anophthalmia means he was born without eyes and will be blind his entire life. Living in the small community that they live in, resources & access are limited for such a rare disability so they drive over 5 hours away on a weekly basis for their son's vision therapist, Occularist, Pediatric Opthalmologist, Occuplastic Surgeon. He did have physical & occupational therapy that came to their home on a bi-weekly basis in between the busy schedule, but no longer comes due to lack of funds. The family will be & have been incurring many different types of expenses already and in the future for their son. They have put together a benefit already to help with costs, and also make bracelets, t-shirts, etc to help out with the cost, but medical bills are expensive. He just had surgery to receive hydrogel implants and now, as winter is coming, the roads are horrible because we live in Northern Wisconsin. Please help this family in need. They are a very deserving and loving family. Thanks Ellen!

jackie andrepont

I see so many people in need but taking a chance also for my son who lost his job because his employer wouldnt put him on a payroll and he needed it so that he could pay child support. he just got engaged and was moving into a home next month. now he cant do any of it, including buying anything for his son for christmas and is now selling his only transportation so that he can pay child support and provide for his son. hes feeling hopeless and made the comment today, that he wishes Ellen could help. joking, because he doesnt think anything good will happen to him now. so maybe a miracle will happen and Ellen will see this.. :)

Kyana Wade

Hi Ellen ! I am a HUGE fan of your show ! I am writing because this is the eighth Christmas in a row that my mom can't provide for my younger sisters. I have a job but the money I make is not enough to help out especially since she's behind on the bills I have skipped out on buying myself things just to help out but she really needs help and I was hoping that you could help out.

Theresa Casey

Hi Ellen,
I am writing to you, because my son-in-law could use some help.What happened his father passed away suddenly with a heart attack. He left his house to his son and family.The house needs a lot of work.His father was single and retired navy man.The stairs going up stairs look like stairs in a navy ship.The stairs are very small and go around quit scary.She needs floors and no money to get the job done.I have some pics.of the house.His name is Tim McGinnis.Coventry Rhode Island.

Heather

Dear Ellen,

My daughter Samantha is a 22 yr single mom of 2 babies.. They are a 3 yr old and 4 mos.. She recently split up with the father cause he kicked her out and now lives with her sisters and their father.. She shares a room with her 2 sisters and her 2 kids.. She is currently out of work due to her car not working .. She is a high school graduate and has really never been able to get a real Job because of her appearance.. She has crooked teeth which she has always been made fun of I school ... She doesn't like to smile and I know if there is someway somehow you can help find someone to fix her teeth she would be a whole new person with a raised self esteem.. We have tried going to several dentists but with the work she needs it is very very expensive.. If you could help find someone that is willing to help her get her self esteem we would so truely be forever greatful.. I know once her teeth are fixed she wouldn't have any problem getting a good job to support her babies.. Please help me help my daughter get the smile she so truly deserves!

Thank you in advance !

Sincerely ,

Heather Esquivel

Shannon McGuire

Hey Ellen!!!
Thanks so much for you and for making my childhood friend Patty Sowers-Wallace laugh on the days she had Chemotherapy. I have set up a fundraiser for her to help pay off medical bills. She had to wait for insurance approval delaying medical assistance. She recently had a double mastectomy leaving her with huge medical bills. If you have time, Please go to Giveforward.com and click on and read more about how Patty Sowers Wallce Kicked cancer's butt!! Thank you for your time, for making us laugh, you are such an insipration to us all.-Shannon McGuire (719-640-8592 if you have any questions!!) :)

Madison Ball

Dear ellen,

My family and i are really big fans of yours we watch u ever day! please read my request! My girlfriend Nacie is the soul provider for our family. And we can really use your help. we r desperate! my girls father and i are no longer together and have been divorced since the girls we babies. my oldest now lives with her father, mentally abuses the girls. sky is 15 and well takes care of her self my girlfriend and i do what we can for her, but its very difficult taking care of her and our house hold my oldest daughter. never asked for anything. She love readying books and her drawing is amazing. she could use some clothes, she wants to visit my sister in spain. she would like a kendle fire to down load books.
My youngest daughter is a special needs child, she has been in and out of shriners hospital since she was 2 weeks old she had clubed feet and both knees operated on. She has had at least 9 or 10 operations. and alex is one of your biggest fan she would like to dance with with you on stage and we need a stationary bike for her therapy. we all have been though so much. One last thing about 4 years ago i had to have all my teeth pulled and well i cant wear my teeth because they r to big. my self a steam is very low cuz i am not able to wear my teeth, to eat, to get a job. so please help me with if you can on getting me some implants. and a Honda Element for i can take my youngest to and from her appointments. my ex-wife made me loose my license for a year so i had to sell my car. i got my license back but don't have a car. Please help me ellen if you can. my address is 2017 Se Courtney Rd. Milwaukie, Oregon 97222. my home number is 503-908-0585 and my cell is 503-388-2667. thank u for taking the time to read my request.

Marcia Martin

I know you get requests all the time, but please read this. I am desperate. I am a single mother, as my son's father passed away 6 yrs ago. I am a registered nurse so I was able to pick up my family and pretty much live pay check to pay check. We had a little money in the bank, for emergencies, but not much. Then the emergency hit. I got sick and remained sick. I got cancer and survived cancer, but now am neutroprenic from the chemo and catch everything that comes my way. As a matter of fact, I was just let out of he hospital on Monday from pneumonia. I can't go back to work because I have to get my immune system up. That is the mistake I made earlier and went back too early, because, what else am I supposed to do. I have to work and pay the bills. I have spent all my extra, all my families extra and even all of my friends (wonderful friends at that). My last ditch effort is to turn to you Ellen. I truly do not know what to do. My son is 14 and he will get no Christmas, he'll be lucky to have a place to live. He literally broke my heart the other day when he told me, "I wish I was a year older and I would get a job and take care of my family!" He did not ask to be brought into this world, I did that. It is MY responsibility to take care of him, but I can't. Please help me Ellen! If you need anymore information please let me know. My name is Marcia Martin. My address is 8420 Boggs Creek Dr Apt E, Indianapolis, IN 46237 and my phone # is 317-809-2861. Please help if you can, if not, thank you for listening!

Tami Londre

Dear Ellen,

We just had to write you! This story seems like one that fits your show. Andy Meinolf, our friend and coworker, has been having an awful few weeks. And with his 2 1/2-year-old son's recent Leukemia diagnosis, things have went from bad to worse. We have even edited this letter multiple times because more keeps happening.

It all started about a month ago. Andy and his wife, Nickie, were excited about their upcoming family vacation to Walt Disney World with their two children, Amara (6 years) and Clay (2 1/2 years). A week before leaving, Nickie, Amara, and Clay all ended up with pneumonia. Nickie had a bad reaction to the medication she was prescribed and ended up getting rushed to the hospital by ambulance. The doctor cleared them for flying, and off to Disney they went on Saturday, October 26.

They had a couple great days at Disney, but Tuesday morning, Amara woke up and could not stop coughing, even with the use of an inhaler. They took her to a walk-in clinic, but were directed to take her to the ER. She was admitted to the hospital and treated for pneumonia. During that time, Andy and Nickie took turns staying at the hospital with Amara and spending time with Clay. Amara was finally released on Thursday evening. Disney was great and let them change their Halloween party day so that Amara could attend. A family member scheduled a breakfast with Disney princesses to help cheer up Amara after she had missed so much. We also have to mention that one of her requested meals was bacon and maple syrup.

After returning home, they took Amara to a follow-up appointment on Friday, November 8. They brought Clay with because he wasn't acting like himself. Amara checked out okay, but Clay's color was off--he seemed grey. They took a blood sample and discovered that his red blood cell count and hemoglobins were down. Clay was immediately sent to Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee, which is an hour away. That evening, the family found out that Clay has Leukemia. They had to wait until Monday for him to get a bone marrow test. After the surgery, he was diagnosed with B-Cell ALL. Luckily, they didn't find any Leukemia in his spinal fluid. Clay's chemo treatments started the next day. The chemo is making his skin very sensitive. He has to be changed every two hours--even during the night--because it becomes very painful for him. He also has to take steroids twice a day. Andy and Nickie have to crush up the pills and put them in applesauce to get him to take them.

On Thursday, November 14, their family car broke down when taking Andy’s mom, who had strokes and is in a wheelchair, to the hospital. While at the hospital, they were on lockdown for a few hours because of a shooter. They could see helicopters and police cars from the window. On Friday, they found out that the car repairs would total $1,550 to $2,200.

Friday night they were all able to be home, but had to go back to the hospital on Saturday because Clay was throwing up steroids. They had to put a tube through his nose and down his throat to get the steroids directly into him. On Sunday, they were able to go back home again. Since being diagnosed, Clay has already received four blood transfusions--and more are on the horizon.

Every week, the family has to take two trips from their home in Sheboygan to Children's Hospital in Milwaukee--Clay has chemo treatments every Tuesday and lab work every Friday.

Here at ACUITY, our department has sent around a card to collect gas money to help pay for all the trips they will be making back and forth to Children’s. We raised just over $1,000 for Andy and his family, which touched our hearts.

They are fun family. Amara is even more of a character then Sophia Grace or Rosie. Clay, with his curly blond hair and sweet demeanor, is just adorable. Nickie will tell you like it is. And Andy just goes along for the ride.

Anything you could do to help them would be amazing and very appreciated.

The Help Desk at ACUITY
Jane, Christine, and Tami

Colleen Wallace

I love watching Ellen. I love seeing her help those in need who fell on hard times. I know how a lot of those people feel. I am a mom of four boys. My oldest being 15 and my youngest 6 months. It has been a struggle with working and trying to support my boys. There are times that I don't even know if we will have enough food to eat, or gas to put in my car to get to work. My 12 year old son was diagnosed a year ago today with diabetes and that is also a challenge we have to make sure the food we do have is things that he can eat and not send his sugar levels to spike. I told my children not to expect much for Christmas this year because with having the baby, I was out on unpaid maternity leave. I did receive short term disability but only for 6 weeks and the other 6 was unpaid and it caused us to get behind on so many bills. This is the first year I really am not looking forward to Christmas because I don't know if I will be able to have gifts under the tree for my kids. I am months behind on our gas bill and I am in fear they will shut our gas off. Watching Ellen is one hour out of the day that I feel I can be happy. Seeing people like her and the good she does helps make me see there are still great people in the world. I could go on more about problems my family has, but I count my blessings that we have each other and though we might not have a house we call our own or a big good running car, we get by with what we do have and for that I am thankful. Thanks Ellen for helping us believe that maybe one day we will get to a brighter side.

Diane Hoffman

Dear Ellen,
I have written to you about Tracy McGinns before. This time, she is in dire need of something wonderful to happen to her and her two boys. Initially, I wrote to you to tell you that as a single mother of a developmentally disabled 8 year old and a 5 year old son, she desperately needed a wheel chair van. On top of that, she has endured a tragedy of moving into a rental house that unknowingly had mold and asbestos contamination. She moved into this home after spending 11 days in the hospital with her son who had pneumonia. As you can imagine, mold and asbestos poisoning to someone who has lung issues could be life threatening. The landlord is not taking responsibility for the problems that were clearly an issue before Tracy moved in with her sons. They have literally lost everything that is still in that house because the costs of remediation are far too expensive for a single mother to afford. They left the home and spent 2 weeks in a hotel, with just the clothes that she could carry. They are now in an apartment and are trying to restock some of their belongings. Many of the items that were still in the house are Brendan’s special bed, assistive devices and medical equipment. Her younger son lost all of his toys too.
Tracy runs a non-profit dedicated to raising public awareness about congenital CMV, to raise donations to support research for a vaccine for CMV, and to affect change in the medical community so that physicians will begin to test women for CMV prior to pregnancy. She supports families from all over the world who also have a child with congenital CMV.

I’m pleading with you to try to find a way to help Tracy rebuild her family’s life.

Diane Hoffman