Shutterfly Helps a Family in Need

Ellen's friends at Shutterfly came to the rescue of a family who needed their help. Find out all of the amazing ways you can commemorate your photos at Shutterfly.com!

Comments

(Page 2 of 13) Newer1234567Older
Sue Lopez

Dear Ellen. I am a fan of yours and watch your show everyday. Of course most people do also. I am writing to in hopes that I am sending this to the right place. I see you help people all the time and never in my life have I asked for help, but my husband and I are in dire need of help with our house. I am 60 and my husband is 72. He is currently working at Lowes. He is a sick man as far as his body goes. He has diabetics and everything that goes along with that. He also has rheumathoid arthritis, which causes him to be in pain constantly. We have had out house 35 years and have always been able to keep the house up, but with all the insurances we pay and monthly bills going up, and other bills we are no longer able to pay for repairs on the house. We definitely need a new roof, we have black mold inside the house and. We really need new floors in the house as they are also falling apart. We recently found out we possibly have termites or water damage from the roof in one of our rooms and would have to tear the walls out and rebuild that room. The wood is rotten. We have no savings or anything to help us and the money my husband brings in does not leave any money for repairs, we just pay a couple of bills and the
rest goes to food and medical doctors take everything we have. I am sorry to have to ask for money or repairs,but it just brings me to tears to wonder how much longer we can live here before the house falls apart. Thank you for listening to me. I truly hope to hear from you. Sincerely, Sue Lopez

Kadett Derry

Ellen,
I see all of these other post and my heart goes out to them. I wish I could do more for them. I am in the military and proudly serve. I am so thankful for this wonderful country and the freedoms we have.
Often time’s people call me and my fellow military Soldiers heros. I always tell them thank you and that it is an honor to serve them and this great country. I always tell them I could not do it without my wife. She is my unsung hero.
She is the person I depend on when I deploy. It is never easy to leave my family, but knowing she is staying firm and raising my children brings me peace of mind when all around me the world seems chaos.
During the past few years, she continues to reach out to those around her. She opens our home to strangers and never asks for things in return. Once it was a neighborhood kid, who felt lost in his own home and needed a loving family, another was a lady and her two children, whose husband was in jail and she was evicted from her home, another, her sister and then later her brother as they both went through their divorce. Through it all, she continues to help and to give where she can.
With these things alone, I am in awe. However, what most people don't know is the disease of anxiety she suffers with. When at times she is soo overwhelmed she cannot leave the bedroom. The countless times I have seen her have an anxiety attack and then curl into a ball and I wonder if she will find her way back. When I am there I feel so helpless, when I am not there, I ask her mother to be there, so she can feel helpless in my stead. My kids have learned the warning signs and we drop what we are doing to help her. Ellen, I am in awe of her and the love she continues to share when she herself is in such need. She fights to not let things get her down. Sometimes she wins... other time she loses.
I would like to spoil my wife, really spoil my wife for all that she is and does for me and others. She needs a vacation. Someplace she can truly relax. It would be incredible if she felt like she didn't need to work for a year and take some time for her. Let her go to the gym get a personnel trainer. Let her follow our daughter as she journeys in her acting career. (Tom Hiddleston is her favorite). Thanks Ellen for all that you do and for partnering with people and companies like shutterfly to provide a breather from the trials of life.

Jenna Milford

Hi Ellen,
I know of a family that is in need of help. My best friend recently moved to St. Simons, Ga and left her parents here in Carnesville, ga. Two days ago they lost everything (including pets) to a house fire. They are living with friends at the moment and do not have the money to get out on their own. Red cross has donated some money for food and water. They literally have nothing. Our town is so small that no one or business is willing to help fund raise to help them get back on their feet. They are both self employed and need some miracle to be able to have their own home again. I really hope there is some way I can help because this family has been so good to me. Thank you for your time.
Jenna Milford

Melissa Hargis

Hi Ellen,
First I wanted to say that I watch your show every day, and I'm a huge fan of all the wonderful things you do to help people. I'm writing this because my mom is so deserving of some major help, and she's way too proud to ask for it. She has raised me as a single mother, and although I'm an adult now, she continues to work hard to support me. I'm in college currently, and I hope to go to veterinary school very soon. Unfortunately, due to my challenging courseload, I'm unable to hold down a job while I'm in school. My mother works three jobs to pay her bills and to help support me while I follow my dream. First off, her car is approaching 150,000 miles, and I know she won't be able to afford another one for a long time. Second, our house is literally falling apart. Our roof leaks, our floors are falling in, and something happened recently, and our water now simply drips from the faucet with no pressure at all. Our drains are clogging, and we can't find out why. Also, we no longer have a working washing machine, and our heat pump only works about half the time. Some of these may not seem like a big problem, but when you can't take a bath at home, or when you can't afford a new washing machine, but you have to spend money at the laundromat every week, it starts to take a toll. We have adopted several stray animals over the years, and take pride in keeping them safe. Unfortunately, if something isn't done soon, I'm afraid that neither my mother and I or our beautiful pets will have a place to live. If anyone deserves some help, it is my mother. She is the most selfless, giving, compassionate person I know, and now I think it's her turn to receive some good fortune. I think the world of you, Ellen, and I know if anyone can help my beautiful mother, it's you. Thanks so much for your time.
-Melissa

Nefertiti Ridley (Nika)

My mom is a single parent and she has 4 kids living in a 2 bedroom trailer. She tries her best to keep food on our table and keeps a roof over our head. She is struggling with it though , and I hate to see her struggle. She has no job and we done had night that we have sleep in the dark. And, I am 12 years old and we need help.

Pamela Redleaf

Hey Ellen,
My parents are in despret need of someones help. Anyones help. My mother almost died last year of Gang green in the intestine. Since then she has struggled everyday with horrible health broblems putting her in and out of the hospital. My dad is a truck driver and has had to cut back on his loads to take care of my mother. he literally gets 300.00 a week in take home. My father has gone to the local goverment assistance to try and get some kind of help. But for some reason they dont qualify. We are a strong loving family, 5 girls. I now right, my poor dad. My dad did his beast raising all of us, and i wish i could help them more. Being a single mother i can only do so much for my parents. i love them very much and hate to see then lose everything. I know you have lots of other people you are helping. if anything maybe just sending your thoughts and prayers thier way? Thanks so much,
Pamela Redleaf

Mary  Treadwell

Hi Ellen , I seem to be having trouble with the sight I think it is where I live out in the country . I have been trying very hard to help women I have never met I only know her through FB and that she is my nieces friend . I personally am a BC survivor amongst other ailments and I workd in the medical field for 18 yrs now I can no longer do such so I help others and am making my Collie a therapy dog especially for oncology pts , elderly who have no family left and children , I can give back that way . I love your show you make me laugh and cry at the same time thank you for all you do >Mary

Mary  Treadwell

How come when I sent a link and a comment I don't see it in your news feed ? I love this show Ellen your make me laugh and bring tears to my eyes your such a great person , I was in the medical field for 18 yrs and because of my health I can no longer do what I do ,so I decided to make my Collie a therapy dog and volunteer to help the sick theres always a way to help even through the help of my boy ! :)I am on a mission to help a women I never met but my heart goes out to her i can't help finacially but am trying to share her blog everywhere !

Colby sutterfield

Hi Ellen,
My name is colby sutterfield. I am a junior in high school, and I live in Roseville California. I understand that there are several people who come to you, telling stories about them and/or themselves and their families. I am coming to you, because my best friend, Cassidy, is a 16 year old junior in high school, who is the youngest of 13. Her parents are divorced, and she lives in a 2 bedroom apartment with her mother and 19 year old Brother. She shares a room with her mom, her brother has the other room. They just currently moved into that apartment last week. I hate seeing them struggle. They get Cassidy's child support, which is 1400 a month. And are constantly behind on monthly payments. Cassidy's mom is unable to work, due to personal reasons, that I'm not quite sure of. I try to do as much as I can for them. They cannot afford gas, Cassidy is unable to make it to school on a daily basis, she attends school, 1-2 days Max a week. Her mom would love to do so many things, that she just cannot afford to do, and having a teen makes it more difficult. However, I know this is just another story, but if you could help them out in anyway, shape or form, I could not be able to thank you enough. Thank you for your time, Colby Sutterfield

Cynthia Guerriero

Well ellen, as I see before mine there are several stories to be read. Hopefully, somehow in someway everyone's prayers will be answered through the grace of God. So many people have stories to tell, mine is 'Katie's Story'.

A 25 year old, beautiful, vibrant and with a smile so big to match her zest for life she could capture the attention of any room she would enter. In September 2013 Katie went to the hospital with excruciating stomach pain along with other symptoms. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Adenosarcoma (not to be confused with Adenocarcinoma). Survival rate is 60%. Needless to say I pray daily as hard as I can she is in that bracket. This particular cancer is a gynecological cancer. For them to remove the mass that was taking over her tiny body the doctors told her & her parents she would have to have a total hysterectomy. Saving and freezing eggs for the future was not an option. I don't know which news hit her harder, the cancer or the fact she will never be able to bear children. Plans that she thought she would be making took a turn to one of the darkest places. Obviously treating the cancer was of utmost importance. Well during an MRI it was discovered Katie had two clots on her heart. No other surgeries can be done until they are taken care of. So now she is hit with a triple whammy...open heart surgery. During the open heart surgery it was discovered she actually had three clots, as one was hiding behind another. This very delicate procedure was completed with damage to one valve. So now she has to wait a week before the surgery to remove the mass and perform the hysterectomy. She was in the hospital for one month and had three major surgeries. How her small framed body endured all this I will never comprehend but ever so grateful it did. Katie just completed her second round of chemo which consist of three consecutive days of chemo and the fourth is a fluid/immunity booster. Four days in a row every twenty one days. She won't know until her next round if it's working but she sure does experience the horrible side effects of it.

Katie is no longer able to work her full time job. Her Mom stays home to take care of her and gives her injections weekly. Her Dad right now is the only employed one supporting a family of four. I am planning a fundraiser to help with the medical expenses as well as everyday needs to benefit Katie. In anyway, in any size you would like to contribute to Katie's benefit would be sincerely appreciated. Even if it's an autographed photo, t-shirt or any item from the ellen store. I am sure it will be a successful addition to our raffle/auction I am planning. She has said so many times "I just want a normal life again..."
If you met Katie you could see through her positive outlook and bright spirit why this is so extremely important to help her kick cancer's ass!

Sincerely,
Cynthia Guerriero

Erryn Austin

Hi Ellen, I am sharing an amazing story with you about a dear friend and her family and all then have gone through.

This was wrote by her teenage daughter when she was in the 8th grade!

In 8th grade I was asked by Mrs. Link to write an essay for a contest, the topic being my hero. The choice was a no brainer. I chose my mom, a cancer survivor, and an inspiration to not only me, but
our whole community. Little did I know my family's life would be sent into that same whirlwind in the near future. These past few months have been rough on us. I don't know where we would be without the support of such amazing friends and family. I am incredibly thankful for each and every one of you. I want to share my hero essay with all of you. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you know that my family is very appreciative of everything that you guys have done and are doing.
Kinzee Hoover

When you think of a hero, what automatically comes to mind? To some, fictional characters like Spiderman, Superman, and Indiana Jones hold the title of a hero. Others might think of a mighty soldier who has served in war. Often times a hero is someone admired for their great strength or ability. Bravery and courage are also qualities of a hero. Heroes can be men, women, children, and even animals. To me, a hero is a person that can overcome huge obstacles while maintaining a positive attitude.
Everybody has a role model in their life that inspires them. My mom,Shani Hoover, is not only my role model, but she is also my hero. She is a remarkably brave person whose character was tested after being diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer in May of 2005.
At the age of just 34, my mom’s life was turned upside down. Her normal routine went from being an active mother and wife to also fighting for her life. Her days went from taking me to school and arranging play dates to finding doctors, deciding on a treatment plan, coordinating treatment dates, and trying to keep a 5 year old’s life as normal as possible. She now had issues of life uncertainty, treatment sickness, losing hair, wearing a wig, several surgeries, radiation fatigue, and financial doubt. Couple that with the incredible emotional stress that was draped with overwhelming sadness and shock.
After diagnosis, my mom couldn’t even say the dreadful C word. She told me that her life kept flashing before her eyes and she could only focus on her bleak situation. She told the doctors she didn’t care what they cut off or pumped into her, she just wanted to see her daughter grow up. My mom’s mind was flooded with thoughts of how I, being so young, would adjust to no mother. How I would watch her ugly fight with a silent monster tear her down. She couldn’t believe there was a possibility she would miss so much if things didn’t go right.
While my moms initial reaction to the news was shock, she eventually came to terms with her diagnosis and knew she would do whatever it took to rid her body of this disease. The doctors began to shape a treatment plan that they believed would cure my mom. They agreed that the best option was to hit the cancer hard with a strong round of chemotherapy. The combination of drugs used were known as the “red devil”. It was named for its bright red color, and its powerful punch. It had side effects that made my mom very ill, but it attacked the cancer ferociously. She would lay on the couch trying to hold her head in one place so it wouldn’t hurt. It gave her excruciating neck and back pain and long episodes of nausea. Just when she was feeling better, it would be time for more treatment.
The next step was surgery. A double mastectomy left my mom with a large scar across her chest and a painful recovery. To complicate it even more, live cancer cells were still present. We were disheartened and discouraged with this news. This was a grim prognosis and set the stage for more aggressive treatment. The doctors assured us that they would do all they could do, and then put it in God’s hands.
After healing from the surgery, my mom began a 7 week radiation therapy treatment. This required us to live near the hospital as it was a daily procedure. The side effects of radiation were not pleasant. They radiated a large area. My mom suffered from open burns and extreme fatigue. Living near the hospital meant being away from my school. My mom stepped in as my teacher and kept me current on my many assignments. We enjoyed the time together and I loved the hot cocoa and chocolate chip cookies the hospital served, but looking back I don’t think I realized the seriousness of my mom’s situation.
A specialist in Kansas City recommended a hysterectomy and a second round of chemotherapy. She first tackled the hysterectomy. Lab results showed my mom’s cancer was fed by hormones, so the doctors felt it was necessary to eliminate her ability to produce hormones. This was a routine surgery, but again required more recovery time for an already weakened body. The second round of chemotherapy would be the round that would test my mom the most. On top of having the common side effects, she added a condition called brachial neuritis. This meant all of her nerves in her left arm were inflamed. This ailment is very painful. They treated her with nerve medicines and high doses of painkillers.
After 2 years of treatment, we could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Checkups were improving, and my mom was as well. She still struggled with arm pain and fatigue, but she celebrated that she was alive. Her hair slowly grew back, and she started to look more like herself. The treatment had taken a toll on her body, but her positive attitude kept her going.
My mom credits her recovery to the power of prayer, a strong spirit, and great doctors. Looking back on this dreadful adventure, I remember my mom as happy and joyful. She was always trying to cheer me up in times of sadness. When my mom got bad news, she processed it and then searched for the best treatment option with a great determination in her eyes. The obstacles she faced throughout her fight tested her spirit and character, but she never failed to be positive, uplifting, and humorous. My mom exhibited great strength, faith, courage, and bravery in her battle with cancer. These inspiring characteristics make my mom my hero.

Please look at the link below it is about the fund raiser my sister and many of Shani's best friends are doing for her and her family!!
P.S. She loves you and your show!!!

Erryn Austin
Hays, KS
785-650-8128

beverly wharton

happy birthday ellen!!! i have wrote you several times. my husband and i have been married 33 years this 08/07/81. we have been a two inquit come family. in march of 2012 i had to mirtal value surgery and later that your year i had to have a pacemaker still trying to get in the right settting, my job let me go dec. of 2012.and then my husband had a stroke march last year, it affected his right. we have our self in pickle. we have two grandkids that live. our grandaughter is 10years old she a hugh one direction fan. our grandson is into video games mostly skylanders [he is deaf] and a great kid. thry both are. they dont see their father [he is blind] we are their security.i know you help other people and are very giving. we have had a really bad year. our van ot repossed. every time we take a step foward we seem to get knock back. please find it in your heart and help us a little. we love you and your show. and always be kind to everyone

nathalie castro

On Saturday Jan. 25 2014 our beloved Son , father , brother , grandson cousin and friend Armando Orosco went to the E.R. due to severe headaches unexplainable bruises, and his gums were turning purple. That day they diagnosed him with leukemia. On 1/26/14 he started to complaining of blurry vision and his headaches were unbearable and made him vomit. Mando received a blood transfusion to try to give him strength. Due to the vomiting it caused a hemorrhage in his brain, due to his cell count hemorrhaging continued and couldn't be stopped. At 3:45am 1/27/14 the family received a message to get to the hospital. A cat scan was given and there was swelling to the brain. They were giving the option of surgery with a 1% chance of making it. Without the surgery he would be brain dead. We put him in Gods hands and took our chances. He was given platelets to help through the surgery and control
his bleeding. He made it through the surgery. That gave us hope. Family and friends continued to pray and we kept our faith and starved our fears. On Tuesday 1/28/14 A cat scan was done. A tube was inserted for drainage to help reduce the swelling and relieve the pressure. Shortly after doctors informed us there was no drainage. So a 10 min test was given to try and determine if his heart would beat and he could breath on his own. It was determined the test was unsuccessful after just a few minutes. We continued to pray. The next test was given. They ran fluid through his brain to test for activity. He was then considered brain dead. The family had to make the most devastating decision either to keep him living on life support or let Gods will be done. At 5:46pm he took his last breath on earth and 1st breath in heaven. He leaves behind his girlfriend Jennifer and 2 kids 4yr old Cerina
& 1 month old Armando Jr. Due to the unexpected death the family face a financial burden. Please continue to pray the family needs are met. Thank you and God bless

Amanda

Ellen, first off let me just say i'm such a big fan and i always see how you are truly a blessing to many people by providing them a second chance at happiness by helping them in need. I'm like to say I'm one of those people. I was raised by my grandmother who recently passed away and am left with the custody of my mental ill mother. I have no family willing to help and am working two jobs just to take care of myself and save up to give me mother a home. Unfortunately i had to put school on hold to focus on survival and providing the means for me and my mother. My grandmother always warned me that this day was going to come where i would have to become beyond selfless and be a caregiver. Im more than overwhelmed with such responsibility and more heart broken that I have no one by my side willing to help. Please help.

Renee Moore

My son was born 3 month premature. He was at Cincinnati children's hospital for 4 1/2 months. In that time we briely meet a family that had a beautiful baby boy that ended up being transfered to columbus get a lung transplat he is back in the hospital now. I dont k n ow much about his medical issue . He has been fighting and being stong. I have been following them on there facebook page julians goupie love. We haven't seen or talked to them since they left for columbus. But like I said I follow them on facebook. He is so precious and he and his family could use some help. They just welcomed an new addition to the family. Julian has a new brother. Now and they comute from fairfield oh to columbus to see him when they aren't working. He is so inspiring. He's so tough and such a fighter. We pray for him and his family every night . I would just love to see them get some help. I know personsonally how much it would help and I want that for this family they deserve it.

(Page 2 of 13) Newer1234567Older