Have You Been Inspired to 'Play It Forward'?

Ellen's friend, Hollywood director Tom Shadyac, has inspired people around the world to lead simpler lives, and now he's teaching people that giving back can actually make you happier! If you were inspired to "play it forward" after seeing Tom on our show, we want to hear about it! Tell us what Tom or Ellen's message of generosity has meant to you, and how it's effected change in your life. Share your story here!

Comments

(Page 2 of 3) Newer123Older
Aura

I must say that every time I see one of these stories tears come to my eyes just seeing how happy you've made them. I wish to be able to do the same and I hope that what little I do like, stopping to help senior citizen with their bags, helping them get on the bus, giving people directions to get to times square (I live in NYC.), translating something for a spanish speaker when it looks like they don't understand something being said to them, helping the children at my job with homework and giving them a shoulder to lean on when things get rough makes them feel as happy as you make people feel Ellen. You are nothing short of a blessing and an amazing angel sent from above to help make the world a better place. Keeping doing what you do Ellen because not only do you make the people you are helping happy but also everyone that is also seeing your act of kindness.

Roger Hayward

Hello, my name is Roger Hayward, Founder of Its Garys Time, I am recovering addict clean now for almost 9 years. I was thrown out of my house when I was about 13, dropped out of school and for the next 35 years or so wandered in and out of addiction and homelessness. Three years ago, I left all I had back in PA, family, a very nice home and a great money making position and came to Gary IN to begin a life on a mission. What I do today is train ex-offenders and at risk residents so that they may have tools and experience when they are either released from prison, or ready to join the work force. My prayer is that they will find purpose in life as I did and never have to go back to jail. I have helped many to gain OSHA safety training as well as EPA Certification, and facilitated or directly provided employment for these men. I have opened a training classroom and training facility equipped with a computer lab which help the men to over come one of the many barriers they have to employment. As I mentioned I started this about 3 years ago, and all that I do I pay for out of y own pocket, well I am about tapped now, folks ask why do I still do it well as I told you my name is Roger Hayward and I am an ex-offender. I pray that someone happens by this message and really reads it. Ellen, I love your show, what you stand for and the positive influence you have on so many people, there needs to be more "Ellens" on the planet, Gods Peace to you my friend
Roger Hayward
www.garystime.com

1 Reply
CAROL WHITNEY

Hi Ellen Today's show was very inspiring.That is what Christmas is all about giving with lots of love.Sharing whatever you can with others who are less fortunate.That positive energy again.I love it.Lets all all share the love with each other.Merry Christmas too all.

Gina Dick

Today's show touched my heart so deeply on many levels. You, Ellen, have inspired me for years....keep your show going for another 10+ years please!! Today's show with Tom was incredible. Words to describe it...inspiring, sad, motivating, hopeful, emotional, joyful, happy, to name a few. Principal Jackie should be commended for the work she does. She is truly dedicated to the childrens' needs and her profession. The world needs more people like Tom, you, and Jackie. Angels on Earth. I always strive to pay it forward, but now it's on! I know I can do more. Thank you and may God bless you.

Connor Wheeler

I was one of the Pepperdine students that participated in "Play it Forward." It was an incredible experience and Tom is by far the most generous person I have ever met! He has blessed many lives both at Pepperdine and throughout the community and it is incredible to hear all the students here at Pepperdine talk about how he has inspired them.

If anyone is interested, I do***ented my own journey throughout that day where we received our own bikes and gave the scholars their bikes. So I guess it was this entire experience from "the student's perspective." You can find it here: http://youtu.be/PGi3DfuGy8I

Thanks to Ellen for getting the message out there about all the amazing stuff Tom is doing in the lives of students!

Gabby

Hi my name is gabby and I'm 12 years old! My social studies teacher, Mr.Pallotta is the best teacher ever! I can't even explain how amazing he is! He is so loyal to his students and pays attention to his students more than anything! He does anything to help us out of situations and most importantly, he teaches us in the most unique way no other teacher can do! He puts us in the historical persons shoes. We learn the best by him especially because of that! I've been getting 100's on everything all because of him! For example we were learning about the Salem witch trial and we had to dress up as the main "witches" or accusers and act them out! Instead of giving us a written test we had to answer questions and get ourselves out of problems by getting past the judge, mr.pallotta. Even though we still got graded on it, it was a better way to get taught and get the information stuck in my head! All I can say is he is amazing and one heck of a teacher! He is so funny,nice,sarcastic(in a good way), and strict! But without being strict we wouldnt learn anything! So all I'm saying is I wanna give him more recognization, because he deserves it! Every time I leave his class I always have a smile on my face! So please Ellen, help me out and give this teacher the recognization he needs!
- gabby Piontkowski, 7th grader

Robin Worrie

ENCORE, today show was one of your best KUDOS everyone you guys rocked it and for our young to be a part of it made a defining difference in their lives!!!!! WTG!!!!!! BRAVO

1 Reply
Brenda

I am not usually home watching tv during the day, but I am home recovering from colon resection. Your show today was amazing with your guest Tom Shadyac how amazing people can be. My life dream has always been to hit the lottery and be able to go across the USA giving

1 Reply
Brenda

I don't usually have the opportunity to see day time tv, but being home recovering from colon resection from colon cancer, I saw your show today. How amazing you and Tom Shadyac are, you are truly an inspiration for human kindness. My life dream has always been to hit the lottery and travel the United States being an angel paying it forward to others in need just like you both did today. I will hold onto that dream.

Robin Heshka

Just watched the "pay it forward" episode with the school from Compton.
I would like all of you (and especially you Ellen) to take a look at a very special boy who has taught his community and beyond all about how to pay-it-forward!
The Kraynick family lost their special little Chase way to soon but with amazing strength they were able to spread Chase's pay it forward message. In a small town like Canora, Saskatchewan Canada (population 2400) we all felt like we lost a part of ourselves when Chase passed away. Seeing our friends hurt is not easy but as a close knit community we knew we needed to pull together and support the Kraynicks (and each other) where we could.
The Kraynick family are in the process of building a "Chase Kraynick pay it forward splash park" in our town. Our community has stepped up with donations and we are just waiting on news of whether or not we won a grant through Aviva Community Fund! (Keep your fingered crossed!!)
Rachel's (Chases's mom) has a hope that everyone who visits the park will be reminded to keep "paying-it-forward"! As a community we will keep fundraising to have the park built as soon as possible.
I would love for you to check out this link and learn about Chase and his message!!!
And Don't forget to pay it forward!!!!

You can also you tube google chase Kraynick and watch a few video vignettes about Chase!!

Stephanie Schmitt

The story today, like many others has brought me again to "happy tears". I know what it is like to bring joy to the needy. Through our church, my husband started a "backpack ministry" called Packs for Pups which provides less fortunate children within our schools with weekend food. Since the school provides them during the week, we decided they need weekend food as well. With help from our members, community and a fellow church we have been able to provide for 9 children for the last 2 years. Since I am a stay at home mom, I pack and deliver these packs every Friday to the schools. We also delivered Holiday meals to the families with which humbled me to see what I have and what they don't. I feel that what you do within these different communities is so heart warming and has inspired us to do the same although it is on a much smaller scale, it is so worth it especially because we are also teaching our young children at church what it means to be giving! Kuddos to all of you at the Ellen show!

Thank you for the laughs and the "happy tears". You make my day every day!

Stephanie

Jennifer Angel

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for your genuine love and inspiration! It is contagious and the one thing I wouldn't mind catching.

Marylyn

You are making a difference. We all need to pay it forward. It
Thank you so much for be there for all of the 12 days of Christmas.

April Ortiz

OMG ,Tom Shadyac is AWESOME!!!! I always told my son its better to give than receive. I was in tears watching your show today. I wish I had the money to donate to all unfortunate children. Ellen you an Tom are so generous..

tRez

ok this vid made my cry... course I cry quite often going through menopause but gee wiz... this was just awesome!

(Page 2 of 3) Newer123Older