Tell Us About an Act of Kindness

If you know someone who has performed an act of kindness, tell us about it! Is this a person who is struggling financially that helped someone else in need? If their actions moved you, we want to hear about it. Tell us what they did and why they could also use some help, right here.

Comments

(Page 7 of 67) Newer45678910Older
michael olson

ellen you are the one light in my day when i smile on feb.4th i will become a 40 yr survivor of childhood cancer .12 yrs ago i recieved a miracle. my son was born .iwasnt supposed to be able to have children. 2 yrs later my wife and i were married on halloween. my son was part of the wedding party a ring bearer dressed as the socerors apprentice from disney .we need help of some kind i was disabled in 2005 from injuries at work and my wife is a disabled marine veteran but able to work but cant find any . my son is 12 now an A student .on march 7th our house will be foreclosed on it is the only home my son has ever known.if there is anyway you can help please .your always loved in this home michael olson

Doris Fermin

My husband has been battling "Pancreatic Cancer" for almost 4 years. His diagnose took a 360... in our family. From moving to another state looking for hope and a better chsnce at life!! We have no regrets leaving our family and friends in search of light givng 3 more years with us. He has endured 53 Chemo 48 radiation session 2 major surgery and most important more time with his kids and family. Since January I his wife stop working to give him 24/7 care since we have no family in the State of Maa. Please help me give my family a relief of sigh help us with this financial rut we are in. Unable to pay our sons college tuition in order for him to rdturn so much mix emotions the stress is think in the air. Please Ellen
R find it in you kind heart to help a sincere family in need. "My name" Doris Fermin in plea to you. Cell # 978-943-7178

Doris Fermin

I have tears in my eyes and pain in my heart. They only allowed me to use a certain amount of characters but this is what I sent:

My childhood friend has been married 23 years to the love of her life. For about 4 years that he has been battling aggressive metastic pancreatic cancer. She and her 2 children & husband left their lives in Miami and moved to Boston in hopes of better medical care for him. My friend, Doris, has had to resign from her jobs to care for her husband, Jhovanny, a lifelong musician. She takes him to the hospital to treatments & appointments. She refers to him as her 'soldier'. Two years ago they renewed their vows while we all watched with great sentiment. Their families recently put money together so that they could go back to Florida for a few days as the doctor advised them to take a break and travel...while he had the strength. Her children take after them, one is in college an aspiring basketball star and the other in high school and an aspiring actor. Her children, like her, are positive, as the two live with the pain of watching their father's health decline yet they still reach for their dreams. Some of Jhovanny's musician friends have held fundraisers for them...but the money only lasts a few weeks with the surmounting medical bills, cost of rent and his medication is so much. If you met my friend Doris, you would see what a warm hearted woman she is. She never feels sorry for herself and she just tries her best to still look pretty for her man, she pushes herself to work out, she remains one of the strongest and most positive women I know.

Maxine

Hi Ellen

I just want to share with you my life story that got me to who I am today with.I am 19 now back when I was 14 my mother Past away leaving just me my brothers and Father as days go by I drifted away from a girl who would do homework,attend class,grades up,church responsibilities,helping out in home. I had this whole thing where it just stopped dad was busy at work from morning to night at 9 with my brothers and I alone at home waiting for dinner or il make it myself I would give my father attitude and be this different person not knowing at my age he was going through as much pain coping with mum not around dad would come home at night help brothers with homework and stay up and watch my mothers CD which had a ( Slideshow ) of our photos together and memories we had shared together. My father would stay up do our lunches every morning before leaving to work and would tell us "after school come straight home keys under the carpet on stairs" so i would do exactly what he says. during school hours I Smoked,miss classes,go to the Mall do alot of bad things. Year after my father past away when I look at it now that I'm 19 I think to myself " why didn't I realise then,Why didn't I help my father then thinking about other things in life when Family should come first. Now Im happily staying with a beautiful aunt and her partner I just wannna acknowledge how brave and strong she is for taking care of 4 xtra children with 3 of her own another mother figure to my brothers and I we struggle alot in life with schooling and many more. She the youngest of her siblings and having her stressed alot in the home has helped me become a better bigger sister to my family. She's an amazing women which honestly needs your help Ellen please Help us here from new Zealand.

From a huge Fan of you
Maxine

Tiffany Lowry

Hi Ellen,

I want to share a story with you that has touched my heart and has helped me appreciate life in the way that God would want. I had a feeling at work that the day was going to be a little off and boy was I right. I was on my way home from work when my tire blew on the interstate. After a long day at work, this is not what I wanted or needed. I called my husband, Mick, to come be with me and then I called Triple A who said it would take over an hour before a tow truck could get to me because of the cold weather. Mick decided that he would stay with my car and change the tire while I picked up our son.

He stood outside in 20 degree weather trying to change the tire on my car. His hands were freezing, his face started getting numb and he was getting very tired. Out of nowhere, a homeless guy came over to help. The guy said "God sent me here to help you and I don't want you to get your nice suit dirty." Mick refused his help but the guy said he could not turn away because he was sent by God. So my husband agreed to accept his help and the guy changed the tire himself.

The guy, Bowland Frank who used to be in the military, stated that he slept under a bridge the night before in 7 degree weather. He stated he could not feel his feet or fingers and he believed he would die if he slept outside another night. He just needed $14 more to get a room at the Motel 6 and he was willing to not eat to have a place to sleep. Because he helped Mick change the tire, Mick agreed to take him the the hotel and pay for a night for him. When he got there, he actually paid for 2 nights. Mick took a picture with him and posted it on Facebook (the link is provided below). The amazing thing is, our friends decided that they would call the hotel and buy EXTRA nights for this guy!! HOW AWESOME IS THAT? Although I was having a horrible day, we believe that God put us there in that moment to help one of his angels. Suddenly, my day was not as bad and I am extremely grateful to have a roof over my head, food on my table and an amazing husband with a BIG heart.

Heidy Roberts

Imagine, you're a twenty-four year old woman who loves life, tries to experience new things all the time, cherishes every moment spent with people she loves and new people she just met, then the 0.3% chance happens...you get breast cancer. Shocking right? This is Natalie Agustin's story and trust me no one could tell it better than herself that's why instead of hiding and shying away from the world, she decided to blog about it. www.nalie.ca She is an act of kindness everyday, she inspires everyday, she loves everyday and she fights everyday! "Fight yourself find yourself" is her motto and if you just go check out her blog you'll see why. This beautiful young lady is such an inspiration to everyone and keeps on inspiring! She has always loved Ellen's show she even blogs about Ellen's games. So much has happened to Nalie over the past two years and you can read all about it on her blog.
Post an act of kindness you ask? Well Natalie is an act of kindness, she's an angel sent from above to really show the world how one should live their life. Don't believe me? See for yourself> www.nalie.ca

Heidy Roberts

JAMMIE ABBOTT

Hello,

I am not sure where you receive you story ideas from but our story is an amazing one and I would like to share a little bit of it with you. My name Jammie Abbott and for the past few years my family and I have collected toys for Christmas. Although some of the toys are used and worn they are received with great joy and appreciation when delivered. You see all the toys we collect throughout the year are given to homeless Hotel Kids. This year we had the unfortunate pleasure of helping approximately 50 families and over 185 homeless hotel kids. These families don’t reach out to an agency who could offer help for fear of governmental involvement and fear that their children will be taken from them and their families ripped apart by Child Protective Services. As such it takes a long time for me to gain their trust and show them that there is still hope in any situation.

The families I help are hardworking and humble people who don’t care whether my gifts are new or old. They don’t care whether they are wrapped with a ribbon and bow. They simple care that someone else cares. When struggling to pay rent each week which can exceed three hundred dollars or more any gift is a blessing. My goal has been to reach out to as many of these families as I can to provide help. I have made it my passion to locate and give out hope to families who have little else but for some reason this year was different. Instead of stopping when my money and toys ran out I began to reach out to the community for help on face book through the group hotel kids 2013 for the first time and that is when something amazing truly started to happen. When ever my toy supply or energy wavered in the face of such great need we received just what we needed to help give one more homeless child Christmas and then another ,and another.

Seeing the great need in Virginia and nationally i reached out to two local papers (The Daily Press and the Virginian Pilot) each of whom wrote articles and told our hotel families stories.The LA TIMES picked up our story which shows the national need for help(http://www.latimes.com/topic/dp-nws-evg-hotel-kids-201312... ). By tell their stories our story could be shared , and through our story we have been able to change the stories of over 185 homeless children this year.

Although it has been a wonderful blessing to impact the lives of these children they are going to need help far past Christmas Sadly I know that I did not do enough. I know tonight I have forgotten kids who didn’t get a Christmas and families who have lost hope in escaping their lives of survival. I know I have hotel kids that are just out of my reach because there is never enough resources to offer. I know I have babies who are being tucked in to the backs of cold car seats rather than into their own warm beds because we couldn’t reach them all and i failed some of them.

I pray that if we are meant to change the world their stories continue to be told through media groups and people like you. Fingers Crossed. Some of their photos can be found at www.hotelkids.org please come by and see what homelessness can look like when given a little hope.

Sincerely,
Jammie Abbott
hotelkids@yahoo.com
www.hotelkids.org

1 Reply
JAMMIE ABBOTT

Hello,

I am not sure where you receive you story ideas fro but our story is an amazing one and I would like to share a little bit of it with you. My name Jammie Abbott and for the past few years my family and I have collected toys for Christmas. Although some of the toys are used and worn they are received with great joy and appreciation when delivered. You see all the toys we collect throughout the year are given to homeless Hotel Kids. This year we had the unfortunate pleasure of helping approximately 50 families and over 185 homeless hotel kids. These families don’t reach out to an agency who could offer help for fear of governmental involvement and fear that their children will be taken from them and their families ripped apart by Child Protective Services. As such it takes a long time for me to gain their trust and show them that there is still hope in any situation.
The families I help are hardworking and humble people who don’t care whether my gifts are new or old. They don’t care whether they are wrapped with a ribbon and bow. They simple care that someone else cares. When struggling to pay rent each week which can exceed three hundred dollars or more any gift is a blessing. My goal has been to reach out to as many of these families as I can to provide help. I have made it my passion to locate and give out hope to families who have little else but for some reason this year was different. Instead of stopping when my money and toys ran out I began to reach out to the community for help for the first time and that is when something amazing truly started to happen. When ever my toy supply or energy wavered in the face of such great need we received just what we needed to help give one more homeless child Christmas and then another ,and another Seeing the great need in Virginia and nationally i reached out to two local papers (The Daily Press and the Virginian Pilot) ach of whom wrote articles and told our hotel families stories. By tell their stories our story could be shared , and through our story we have been able to change the stories of over 185 homeless children this year.
Although it has been a wonderful blessing to impact the lives of these children they are going to need help far past Christmas Sadly I know that I did not do enough. I know tonight I have forgotten kids who didn’t get a Christmas and families who have lost hope in escaping their lives of survival. I know I have hotel kids that are just out of my reach because there is never enough resources to offer. I know I have babies who are being tucked in to back of cold car seats rather than in their own warm beds because we couldn’t reach them all. I would love to give my hotel babies additional attention so that we can continue to grow and further help these forgotten homeless children. I pray that if we are meant to change the world their stories continue to be told through media groups and people like you. Fingers Crossed. 

Sincerely,
Jammie Abbott
hotelkids@yahoo.com
www.hotelkids.org

JAMMIE ABBOTT

Hello,

Sincerely,
Jammie Abbott
hotelkids@yahoo.com
www.hotelkids.org

Dave Morgan

Dear Ellen

I am writing you in regards of a special lady in my life, my wife of 21 yrs Patty she truly is my hero as a recent hunting accident has left be unable to perform my usual duty as head of household she has been by my side every step of way she has really stepped up to the plate doing everything in her power to keep us as comfortable as possible during these hard times although money is tight I truly do believe that we will make it. I am asking if you would please give her a special shout out to let the world know what great wonderful and strong person she is.

sincerely
Dave Morgan

lisa mccrea

Dear Ellen,
My mom is yur absolute biggest fan. She was recently in L.A. to donate a kidney to a stranger for Christmas. She was even featured on Fox at Five news show on Dec. 12 on the One More Thing part. She did not even know about it til our neighbor called her. She attempted to get tickets for your show before the surgery but was unable to. She will be back in L.A. the first week in Feb. for a follow up. She requested tickets for Feb. 3 and has not heard back. PLEASE give her tickets to your show. She is so deserving. She left home and kids to go out there and was gone for 21 days. She is a mother of 6 kids and her car engine blew up on the way to be evaluated for donation. Despite the financial hardship of her being unable to work while gone and while recovering, she never once became afraid. She is the most giving and brave woman that I know and to see your show would be such a treat for her. The only regret she has about going to California is not getting to go to a taping of your show. although she did ride the L.A.subway and git off right by your star..SHE TOOK A PICTURE OF HERSELF HUGGING THE STAR AND POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK...LOL..Thank you, Heather McCrea

John Weaver

I am writing in response to your veterans in the Washington DC area home makeover. I am writing about my wife Kristin Weaver, she was injured in the air force in the early 1980s, that injury has left her in pain daily and having to go through life walking on two canes. she is a true inspiration to all veterans as she has not let this get the better of her. She has worked as a veteran's advocate fighting for veteran's rights ever since her injury. She has counseled veterans who seem to gravitate to her and are referred to her by word of mouth and via her post in the American Legion where she is a life member and service officer, past chaplain and past vice commander. Kristin counsels veterans wherever she can find a couple of square feet, a table and a couple of chairs, mostly in our home at the kitchen table which is what prompts me to write to you. I would love to be able to provide her with a space suitable to work with veterans in need and befitting the respect they deserve. Through all this Kristin manages to get up every day and go to work and during her off hours and lunch breaks work with Vets in need, which i might add has never taken a penny of remuneration or reimbursement.

Ellen, my wife Kristin is not just a vet or a disabled vet, she has never stopped working for veterans even when she was in need herself.

james pitts

ellen:
I love the uplifting nature of your show, and especially all you do to help others.
My husband and I have been married for 25 years. And the only real complaint I have about him is that he volunteers so much of his time to help others, that he often doesn't have the time or money to do what's needed at our own house.
For example, his sister has a wonderful couple that are her good friends. The couple has worked hard to raise two children and is very giving. However, they rarely ever have an extra dime and their kitchen was in a terrible state of disrepair. Their dream was to have a dishwasher. So, when my husband found this out, he didn't simply buy them a dishwasher, instead, he volunteered to completely gut and remodel their kitchen, solely at our expense--and we are NOT rich people, Ellen.
He enlisted the help of a good (carpenter) friend of his to help him do this project. As they could only work at the project on weekends (due to their regular jobs), my husband and Stephen worked on this kitchen remodel for over one year. My husband paid for everything, and assisted Stephen with all of the demolition and rebuilding. Stephen did not charge one dime for his services--which would have amounted to thousands of dollars. And Stephen is the father of 3 young children, and he and his wife live from paycheck to paycheck. His house has a lengthy list of needed repairs...which he simply can't afford to have done.
So, I would love it if you would be interested in doing something nice for these two men. They are both very giving, and really don't expect anything back in return, and they would be completely shocked at something nice coming their way--as neither of them expects it or has ever even considered it.

dorene hottois

You are the one that blows me away, I cry because of your goodness that you share....
YOU ARe AWESOME