Tell Us About an Act of Kindness

If you know someone who has performed an act of kindness, tell us about it! Is this a person who is struggling financially that helped someone else in need? If their actions moved you, we want to hear about it. Tell us what they did and why they could also use some help, right here.

Comments

(Page 5 of 67) Newer2345678Older
Cristina Johr

Dear Ellen, It`s not about me. I thought I was doing something great taking care of 7 cats from the street but I saw a video from Rocky Braat, who is taking care of indian orphans who are HIV infected. He is doing an incredible mission. He is giving his young life for those
children. YOu can see his video on www.pbs.org/independentlens/blood-brother/.
He is living in very poor conditions, sleeping on the floor and the children too. This is something big!!! you got to see it, please Ellen help him, he deserves it. Please Ellen take a look minimun the video. Please Ellen answer me just with a word, I will write you until the end of world...it`s a joke but until my old computer works.

I thank you for your show and wish you happy birthday full of health.

Love
Cristina

JAMMIE ABBOTT

Hello,

I am not sure where you receive you story ideas from but our story is an amazing one and I would like to share a little bit of it with you. My name Jammie Abbott and for the past few years my family and I have collected toys for Christmas. Although some of the toys are used and worn they are received with great joy and appreciation when delivered. You see all the toys we collect throughout the year are given to homeless Hotel Kids. This year we had the unfortunate pleasure of helping approximately 50 families and over 185 homeless hotel kids. These families don’t reach out to an agency who could offer help for fear of governmental involvement and fear that their children will be taken from them and their families ripped apart by Child Protective Services. As such it takes a long time for me to gain their trust and show them that there is still hope in any situation.

The families I help are hardworking and humble people who don’t care whether my gifts are new or old. They don’t care whether they are wrapped with a ribbon and bow. They simple care that someone else cares. When struggling to pay rent each week which can exceed three hundred dollars or more any gift is a blessing. My goal has been to reach out to as many of these families as I can to provide help. I have made it my passion to locate and give out hope to families who have little else but for some reason this year was different. Instead of stopping when my money and toys ran out I began to reach out to the community for help on face book through the group hotel kids 2013 for the first time and that is when something amazing truly started to happen. When ever my toy supply or energy wavered in the face of such great need we received just what we needed to help give one more homeless child Christmas and then another ,and another.

Seeing the great need in Virginia and nationally i reached out to two local papers (The Daily Press and the Virginian Pilot) each of whom wrote articles and told our hotel families stories.The LA TIMES picked up our story which shows the national need for help(http://www.latimes.com/topic/dp-nws-evg-hotel-kids-201312... ). By tell their stories our story could be shared , and through our story we have been able to change the stories of over 185 homeless children this year.

Although it has been a wonderful blessing to impact the lives of these children they are going to need help far past Christmas Sadly I know that I did not do enough. I know tonight I have forgotten kids who didn’t get a Christmas and families who have lost hope in escaping their lives of survival. I know I have hotel kids that are just out of my reach because there is never enough resources to offer. I know I have babies who are being tucked in to the backs of cold car seats rather than into their own warm beds because we couldn’t reach them all and i failed some of them.

I pray that if we are meant to change the world their stories continue to be told through media groups and people like you. Fingers Crossed. Some of their photos can be found at www.hotelkids.org please come by and see what homelessness can look like when given a little hope.

Sincerely,
Jammie Abbott
hotelkids@yahoo.com
www.hotelkids.org

richard brooks

WRITING A LETTER TO HEAVEN, "AMANDA "ITS BEEN 4 YEARS NOW AND MY HEART AND MY MIND IS SO "HURTING!! "I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO WHAT YOU WOULD OF DONE WITH THE CHILDREN, "ITS HAS BEEN A VERY LONG 4 YEAR'S SINCE YOU LEFT US TO GO BE WITH MEMA ,PEPA,AUNT NORMA UP IN HEAVEN, "I JUST REALLY WISHED THAT WE HAD MORE FAMILY THAT WOULD USE THERE HEARTS TO HELP ME WITH THE GRANDCHILDREN !! "IM JUST A GRANDFATHER WITH SO MUCH LOVE FOR HIS GRANDCHILDREN "IM GETTING SO WEAK WITH MY HEART" AS WELL WITH DAD'S HEALTH, "WISH I COULD GO BACK TO WORK WITH S.S.I AND S.S.D.I " NOT BEING ENOUGH TO KEEP UP WITH THE BILLS."MY TEARS FLOW ALL THE TIME, "I JUST NEED SOME HELP WITH SOME THINGS.DAD HAS A OLD VAN THAT RICK BOUGHT FOR ME FOR $500.00 2 YEARS AGO!! THAT HAS 197000 MILES ON IT NOW!! AND IT IS BEING FIX RIGHT NOW BECAUSE THE REAR AXLE BROKE IN TWO. AS WELL THE BELTS KEEP FALLING OFF, THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS BREAKING DOWN ON THIS VAN.BUT IT IS ALL DAD HAS AND IT TAKES THE GRANDCHILDREN BACK AND FORTH TO SCHOOL AS WELL DAD TO HIS DOCTORS APPT,THE GRANDCHILDREN HAVE BEEN HOME NOW FOR TWO WEEKS NOW SINCE THE VAN'S AXLE BROKE, THERE GRADES ARE FALLING, AYLISSA WAS DOING SO WELL,WITH HIGH HONOR'S. DAD IS SO WORRIED "I FEEL THAT MY 53 YEARS OLD HEART AND MY 55 YEAR OLD LOVE TO RAISE THEM IS GETTING WEAKER!! "WHEN YOU LEFT US ON THAT COLD SATURDAY MORNING "MY HEART WENT WITH YOU. "WHEN YOU LEFT US "FAMILY SAID THAT THEY WOULD HELP DAD WITH THE CHILDREN, "I GUESS THERE HEARTS WERE AT THE MOMENT AND NOT IN THE FUTURE, "I DON'T BLAME THEM, "EVERYONE IS INTO THERE OWN FAMILY THOUGHTS AND THERE LOVE, "TO BE INVOLVE OR TO HELP OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS IS IN THE PAST.SOME FAMILY WILL HELP BUT THOSE ARE THE FAMILY WHO HAVE NOTHING ,BUT THEY WILL GIVE YOU THERE LAST. DAD ASK FOR NOTHING IN THIS LIFE ,DADS PRIDE IS SO DEEP IN THE LOVE OF FAMILY. DAD DOES'NT ASK ANYONE FOR ANYTHING, JUST THERE FAMILY BOND OF THOUGHTS,AND LOVE. THEY HEAR AS WELL THEY KNOW HOW DAD IS FEELING AS WELL HOW DAD IS DOING." SOME IDEA'S AND HUGS AND LOVE COMES "ONLY WHEN ITS NOT THERE'S. "MY LOVE FOR OUR FAMILY IS SO DEEP, "BUT WHEN YOU LEFT TO BE WITH MEMA ,PEPA AND AUNTY NORMA"MY EYES HAVE SEEN, "MY THOUGHTS HAVE THOUGHT, "AND MY HEART HAS FELT "MY HURT OF MY FAMILY WHO COULD HELP WITH JUST A PHONE CALL OR EVEN $5.00 OF THERE HEARTS TO PUT INTO A FUND TO HELP WITH THE HURT THAT LIES DEEP INTO MY HEART AND INTO MY THOUGHTS OF THE HELP OF LOVE WITH MY GRANDCHILDREN. "MY HEART HURTS WITH PAIN EVERY DAY AS WELL EVERY NIGHT "MY THOUGHTS HURT EVERY TIME I LOOK INTO MY GRANDCHILDREN'S EYES TO TRY TO TELL THEM THAT WE ARE DOING THE BEST THAT WE CAN. AS WELL WHEN I HAVE TO GET ANGRY WITH THEM WHEN THEY GET BAD. "CAN YOU KEEP DAD CLOSE TO YOU WHILE DADS HEART,AND HEALTH DECLINE WITH HURT AND PAIN. MISS AND LOVE YOU BABY GIRL SO MUCH. DAD.

richard brooks

I would like to take this time to reach out to some of you for some help. This story is about my cousin Amanda who grew her wings almost four years ago. She was a daughter, sister, mother, and a friend she grew her wings on May 1st 2010 she died at the young age of 27 years old. She died from a brain tumor from domestic violence she was trying to get her life together trying to be a good mother to her four children and God took her away. Her only son's birthday was the 2nd of May she was so stressed out because she didn't have enough money to give him a birthday. She called my uncle on April 30th to say "daddy I don't have anything for my son" my loving uncle drove from Dennis to New Bedford just to bring him gifts he went in to house and Amanda was laying on couch with headache but she didn't care she continued to be awesome mother and tried to lay down for the night because she knew her little boy was gonna be have a good birthday because of his pepa. She laid down on couch because the headache was worse. May 1st the next morning her oldest daughter found her barely breathing on the floor at the time this little girl was only 10 years old. My uncle was called by the hospital to tell him to get to hospital he's daughter was taken there before he got there she passed on he was faced with the decision to allow the state to take her for children or for him to get custody he couldn't see that happen so a loving grandfather their pepa as his grand children called him took 4 growing children under his wing and still to this day with a heart condition takes care of them one day at time in his mid 50s is very hard he tries to make those four his first priority and they are so precious. When my cousin passed she left a 3 girls named Brittni, Alyssa, and Stephanie and one boy named Michael. The year that my uncle got custody he was living in Dennis in one bedroom apartment they needed to get an education so he enrolled them Dennis Public Schools they later moved to Yarmouth in a bigger house, and that didn't work out, so he found a place in Hyannis. Since the school that they went to after they unfortunately lost their mommy was their safe haven my uncle couldn't being him self to making them switch, so would take them to and from school from Hyannis that's about 45miles to and from thats wear and tear on a vehicle that his oldest son purchased for him to get his nieces and nephew to and from school. Currently the van that brings my cousins to and from school is not safe to drive. About 2 weeks ago my uncle just got done picking up his grand kids from school on the way home riding down the road 45 mph the rear axle broke in half while he was driving. To grace out of God he avoided hitting a tree with the four children and himself in the van. He currently can not get them to school.

The reason I am writing this is because he can get the van fixed, but doesn't have the money to fix it. My uncle, my mother and my myself have tried to get him help no one will help. He wants the best for his grand kids he feels he owns it to his Angel to make it so her children have the best life possible. This van has 197,000 miles on it. I'm not asking for a hand out he's a man that would go without to make sure his grand children are taking care of. He is the most selfless men I know would take his shirt to back just to see someone else happyy he is out of options..... He just needs help...... If there is anything that anyone could do even a share to a page that may be able to help even thoughtful words... . Anything...... you or know anyone who can help. It will be greatly appreciated thank you so much for taking the time to read this. God bless ♡

shannon panter

I have the most amazing friend a fellow Canadian military wife. She is has always been there to support me no matter what. She deserves to be recognized for her efforts. Her name is Melissa Zizek, she has 2 young boys, she the best mom the world. The most amazing wife, and mom that a family could ever ask for. She has always supported and been there for me. My husband is gone almost 10 months out the year and the only reason make it through his deployments because of her. She answers her phone when I call and listens to my complaints, drives the 45 mins to my town to be there when I need her, with out ever asking for anything in return. I have found a complete and true friend that understands and needs to be rewarded for her efforts. Please recognize her for the miracle that she is and reward her for being there for me, no matter what. I can only make it through a day because of her continuous support and words. Melissa is one and a million and everyone would be blessed to her in their life:) I love her to pieces.

Tracy

I am currently the nanny of a family of 11 (about to be 12). The parents have two biological children and are pregnant with their third. About a month ago, however, the father's sister was hit on her bicycle and killed. She left behind seven children. The couple I work for, without thinking twice, took in all of the children and have legal guardianship of them all. They range in age from 1-14. The house is always full and always busy but the amount of love that exists there is amazing. I am honored to be a part of this and would love for the parents to be recognized for such an wonderful act of love and kindness. It takes a toll on them mentally, physically, and financially but they never complain and just do what needs to be done. Truly inspirational.

Debi Taber

Hi Ellen. So sorry to hear that you have been sick with the flu. It is making people really sick this season even becoming tragic for some. I am writing to you because I am very passionate about another illness that affects us all in some way at some point in our lives. Cancer. There are thousands of inspiring stories of survivors, fighters, and caregivers. Every year my husband and I join the City of Coppell's Relay for Life team to raise money and awareness for cancer. I am asking that you please consider donating to our team and help make cancer history. I look forward to a positive response from you. Thank you for your consideration. I would love to talk to you more about our cause.

Mackenzie Smith

Hi Ellen, I am asking you to read what I have to say about my dad. His name is Rich Smith. He is a firefighter at the Kittitas County Fire and Rescue Department. He actually sent you a message asking for a thousand dollars to help pay off a new trailer he found for his new friend Debbie he met on a call. She was living in really tough conditions which is hard to do when you have a degenerative bone condition, two hip replacements and a shoulder reconstruction. Which is only one of the incomprehensible amount of people my dad has helped in his lifetime. My dad is the most incredible human I have ever met and I think I have taken him for granted my whole twenty years. We hardly see him because when he isn't working 24 hour shifts at the fire department or doing over time, the rest of his free time is spent helping people in need. I don't know half the people he has helped. He has helped so many and the majority of Ellensburg and Kittitas County knows my dad and how hard working he is. The last four days he has been cleaning and repairing the trailer he found for Debbie with any free time he has. This trailer would be considered "sub par" to us lucky middle class families, but to Debbie, she told me dad it is the most beautiful home she has ever lived in. My dad works so hard to make people smile and do anything he can to make others lives better. I love him and don't show him how proud I am or how appreciative of him I am enough so I thought contacting you about him would be a start. Ellensburg is a little college town about two hours east of Seattle. There are about 23,000 people here and I could say my dad has helped a pretty hefty chunk of those people on and off duty. I could tell you so much more about how many people he has helped and I could find (easily) five dozen more people to vouch for that as well if you would give me the chance. It's incredible how he is always joking and always happy on the very little amount of sleep he gets and his co-workers have told my mom that big or small, old or young, my dad goes out of his way to make people feel special. I know this message is vague but I am hoping you or someone that works for you could reach out and find out a little more about this situation and my dad. Mention Rich Smith to someone in Ellensburg and you will hear how great of a man he is. Please contact me about more information because I know he is someone you are looking for to recognize. He's a really great guy and he has a lot of bad jokes that might make you laugh because of how bad they are haha his latest is about German Sausage and how they are "the wurst" haha. Anyway. To whoever took the time to read this, thank you. I hope it gets somewhere because I really want my dad to know how much I notice what he does in this community.
Love,
Mackenzie

Sheli Potter

Miles seems to be full of awesomeness. You should check him out:

Kid President's Letter To A Person On Their First Day Here

Frannie Perez

Hi, Ellen I am writing about my sister her name is Mary, she is my oldest sister and she is my hero!! She is a nurse and put herself threw Nursing School, worked a full time job and raised her two kids and is now raising her grandchildren. She married her high school sweet heart and was married to him for over 25 years, she stood by him threw thick and then only for him to break her heart. She is more then a sister, nurse and my best friend, she is always there for anyone in are family that needs help.Besides being a RN she makes sure everyone is taken care of but yet she ask for nothing in return and right now she needs to be taken care of I wish i could do something for her to show her how much she means to all of us!! She is going through a hard time right now and i wish I could help her out! You would not believe me but she is the biggest Mariah Carey fan she loves her music and she is not a good singer but when Mariah comes on she sings like no other! LOL You can ask anyone and they will tell you she is the most amazing, caring person on earth. Please help me do something for her something she will remember for the rest of her life and show her is is my Hero!!

Teresa Morris

In the wake of this week's fatal shooting on Purdue's campus, a student braved the freezing temps to provide "free hugs" for the Purdue community. Such an act of kindness in a very stressful environment. He brought a smile to many.... This guy deserves a warm place to be right now!

Our paper wrote a great article to fill in the details.

Many thanks for the daily laughs and smiles you bring to so many,
Teresa

Natalie-Lynn Ferris

Hi. I just want to say first off how much I love your show. Your so funny, sweet and beautiful both on the inside and out. I would like to tell you about someone. My niece, Chanelle Howard, who is only eleven, turning sixteen has the maturity higher then most adults I know. She truly is inspirational. She's always been taught the importance of giving to those who are in need. She is constantly coming up with ideas on how to raise money for any charity she can. For a few years she's been braiding her friends hair, or selling bracelets for donations to help sick kids. Last year she was inspired by one of your guests and still talks about it today. You had an amazing young lady on your show, Talia Castellano. Chanelle even did a school project on her. The project was to be about someone who inspires you. Recently Chanelle met a young girl in our community who
suffers from the same rare type of cancer. 3 year old Abigail Moreau. She is now raising money for this young girl and her family. In order to raise money for her she has committed herself to shaving her hair off to give people an incentive to donate. She has long beautiful thick hair, and has already let it grow and donated it twice.
If an eleven year old can already help so many people in her life, imagine what kind of world we would live in if we all helped each other out.
Thank you for your show and thank you for helping everyone you meet, people like you and my niece make this world a better place.

deborah haynes

Hi, I'm Debbie. wow I could write a book. . First you so touch my heart and make me smile every day for that I so pray you are blessed. 10 years ago I had my first open heart then 18 maths later another. My daughter 13 at that time. and being a single mom and she has well has a brother whom had just got married. But, she put her life on hold for me. at the point she didnt live her teenage years, we had too put her on homeschooling due too friends making fun of her due too she didn't want too leave my side.. and, believe me she didn't. I so know God but h there knowing this was coming. she how married and with a 2 year old I then had 2 heart attack on her LST mothers day. I know being on diabile and living on 1000.00 a myth I never have enough too do something special for her or my mom and dad with out them and prayers. I wouldn't have made it . I take one day at a time. but praise his name.. but, before I go I would just love too do something for the person I fill should be voted the most special person there ever has been. If ever there a way oh would I so me thankful. God Bless Debbie

Heather Bowman

I wanted to comment on behalf of my wonderful friend Jared. We are both students pursuing a degree in geosciences at Middle Tennessee State University. In order to complete our degree in Geology we are required to complete a field camp course through another college, June 2014. This costs each of us approximately $5,000. It has been brought to my attention that student loans would not cover this type of summer course. My friend was denied a personal loan to cover this and will have to take a lesser degree. This means his hopes of a graduate and doctorate degree are currently not possible. Jared is a wonderful person. Last year we both lost a grandparent. I lost my grandfather on January 17th and he lost his grandmother less than a month later. His grandmother was the backbone of his education. He's always there for me, whether the starter went out on my truck and I need a ride or I need help in calculus. No one ever thought finishing college could become difficult. When it comes to the brains this guy has a magnificent one! I watch Ellen every single day. All of my friends pick on me for watching but I catch them watching it too.

Suzanne Ritchie

I want to tell you about a very inspiring young woman. Here name is Lara Plewka MacGregor. She discovered she had cancer at age 30, one of 3, 30 year old women from our small community who were diagnosed with this all about the same time. She was pregnant at the time but went through chemo and had a healthy baby boy. After dealing with cancer she started a project called Hope Scarves to help others with cancer everywhere. This past week, after 6 years of remission, she was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast cancer that had gone to her tailbone. Devastating news for her, her young family, and her community. It would be great if you could give Hope Scarves some nationwide advertisement and also get some prayers for Lara. I am asking people to take ONE second out of their day to say a quick prayer for Lara. We can all give ONE second of our time each day to pray for herhealing. Her new motto is Once you have Hope, anything is possible! She is a strong and amazing young woman!!!

(Page 5 of 67) Newer2345678Older