The East Coast is in need of our help. Ellen reached out to her viewers to do what they can to aid the Tri-State area and beyond in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

You can make a donation to the Red Cross right here.

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
caron johnson

Yes yes but God is good

Deana Geracitano

Hi Ellen i watch your show all the time it brings a smile to my face and just makes me feel good all day! I'm a single mother of three Alexia 18 years old Natalia 15 years old an Lorenzo who is 10 years old.I watched the show when you asked people help the hurricane Sandy victims. So i spoke to my children and ask them if we could donate the money that i would normally spend on them for Christmas presents. I said what is Christmas about? Its about love and helping others right? I would like to donate $700.00 dollars but i heard a lot about the Red cross and Salvation army take 30% and i would like all of the money to go to to the victims. Please get back to me soon I would like someone to have a better Christmas !!!

Christy Edwards

I have nothing for my kids for CHRISTMAS PLEASE help me Christy EDwards 2000 n Harding street Indianapolis Indiana 46202 @317-955-2387 Both my parents died this year we are having such a hard time gettting ready to loose our house but all I want for christmas is my kids to have something.THANK YOU

twang nguyen

Hi Ellen...I am a huge fan & knew you would be involved with Sandy relief. My home in Staten Island was totally destroyed along with everything in it. I am grateful to be safe & have a warm place to stay till we rebuild. I see a link to donate to the Red Cross. My experience when I went to drop off some extra supplies at the red cross was that I was told they don't need anymore but meanwhile there are plenty of Staten Island volunteers & others accepting supplies & coats for plenty of people who still need. I also waited on a line for gift cards given out by Tzu Chi, a non profit organization for 6 hours along with 100's of other people. The Red Cross drove by twice & did not hand out not 1 bottle of water. I think donations can go to many other places where victims can get more help we need. Thank you Ellen for you efforts, love you!!! Always kind to others!!!

Kerri Ciccketti

Ellen, thanks for all you have been doing to help with all the devastation that hurricane Sandy caused. You are simply the most amazing person that exists, and cares more then anyone that I have ever seen !! You remind me of myself, and I am so happy that there is someone out there with the ability to help so much with so many issues in the world that need addressing. Especially animal rights !! And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you do for animals and all of the awareness that you raise for such an important subject that seems to not get as much awareness as it needs to. You are the best !!

lisa  Jackie

Hi Ellen,

My name is Lisa Jackie I live in connecticut. When I look at the devastation that occured from Hurricane Sandy it hurts my heart. I grew up in Far Rockaway and I have many relatives that live there still. Im writting about my uncle Barry with hopes that someone can help him. He is an agoriphobic, he built a very guarded, safe life for himself in Long Beach NY. He always pushed himself to his limit to not let this phobia control his life. He had the same job as a grocery store manager for probably 25yrs and the same small apartment. He walked to work and back everyday...never missing one day. Hurricane Sandy took everything from him.....the grocery store, his apartment, everything he owns. He is the sweetest guy ever and my heart breaks for him...his world has been ****tered and he still keeps a positive attitude.

Lisa

joanne

Dear Ellen,

My 23 yr old daughter Megan, just moved to ****inson, ND, and knows no one. When she heard about Sandy she wanted to help, and came up with the idea of Santa for Sandy. She is a photographer,and is going to take Santa pictures for $10 a package...all profits will go to the Hurricane Sandy Relief fund through the Red Cross.
She is currently working on getting local businesses to match her donation, but is mostly worried about people actually showing up. We have flyers out, but I'm not sure that will be enough to get a good crowd. I was hoping you would plug this charity photo shoot on your show, as I'm sure many from this town watch your show regularly, and hopefully many more photographers will use this idea and hold a charity shoot in their town.

The Santa for Sandy Charity Photo Shoot will be at the Ramada Grand Dakota Lodge...Dec. 1st...10am - 5pm.

Joanne

Debra Oliver

Dear Ellen,

My friends father and their disabled son lost their home in the Hurricane. His house had three feet of water in it and they are in desperate shape. FEMA can only do so much.

They were staying in a hotel when the storm hit, cause the Dad feared the worst and he needed to be able to get out and have his aids get in and out if they were stuck. But since they couldn't afford to stay in a hotel, they all moved to a rental house.

Steven gets around the clock care as he has a brain injury and is now wheel chair bound. I say "now" because they are determined for him to one day walk again. They pay out of pocket for all his therapies, and that has not been easy for them as well, and now they fear they won't be able to afford his therapies and rebuild their home.

If anyone can help, I know you can.

Thanks so much.
Debra

Denzel & Katherine

we love you ellen and we love >>>>>>>> adele <<<<<<<< but we still love you

Denise Evangelatos Adams

Dear Ellen, Firstly..... LOVE YOU and THANK YOU for a dose of happiness every day:)
Three kind-hearted women from Staten Island NY, whom I've never met in person, only know them as customers. These women have been nothing less than relentless in helping their fellow neighbors. I only witnessed all their efforts through Facebook from the beginning, when they were not sure they would be victims themselves, through the aftermath where they've tirelessly given their time and focus on helping in every way possible from warm meals, to muscle to move debris, collecting bags of clean clothes, baby car seats, baby food, gas, generators...you name it and they're making it happen. It's a beautiful thing to see them rise together and make a difference. I live in Los Angeles and could only make a small difference in a monetary way ...so when I saw that you were looking for stories of people helping....these 3 ladies are so deserving of, at the very least, writing to you and sharing one story amongst thousands! Their names are Helene Graci, Regina Corebett and Donna Graziano!! They're hard working moms making a difference to a community of people who need it.
...You've heard it a million times before but here is one million and one.......Thank you thank you....love you love you and love your smile.

Anyway..:)
Sincerely,
Denise Evangelatos Adams

Lee Campbell

Dear Ellen:

My daughter lost her cupcake shop in the flooding that occurred in Ocean City,NJ from the storm surge due to Hurricane Sandy. She had at least 2-3 feet of water througout the shop. Then her problems really started....... Her insurance company has so far denied her claim because of a technicality(was downgraded to tropical storm at landfall), FEMA offers only low interest loans to small businesses,her calls to her congressman went nowhere and she just learned that her landlord, the property owner didn't have flood insurance. To add insult to injury, a week after the storm, her business checking account number was stolen and someone tried to clean out her account.
My daughter worked so hard to build this business over the last 2 years, saving her money, borrowing from family, taking out SBA loans,etc. Although she was only 25 when she started this business, she was building a strong client base and a loyal following..... now it's all gone. I'm heartbroken for my daughter because this was her dream. You can see this from an audition video sent in to cupcake wars: http://youtu.be/qBUKQ8kxTJ0 Sandcastle Cupcakes

This is her personal story, but multiply this story by thousands of others along the coast of NJ and NY. Their stories are similar. Small businesses are the lifeblood of these areas and they are getting little help other than being told to take out another loan. Most businesses can't afford to take any more loans and I don't see how the Jersey Shore and NY coast can rebuild their economies without small businesses.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell her story.
Lee Campbell

Helene Seinfeld

Dear Ellen,
I "live" in Oceanside, New York and we lost everything! Our house was under renovation and all our belongings that were not in our bedrooms etc.were stored in Two 22ft containers in our driveway...they were all damaged . We had over 5 feet of water on the ground floor! It's like a war zone here...I hope that Insurance and FEMA will be there for us. My heart is breaking for all the loss in my area. I just spent a month in the hospital and have been recovering from my surgery and now this...we have lost all our belongings and don't even have winter coats but at the end of the day ...it's just stuff...we are Ok .

I guess you could say we were lucky to have made hotel reservations before Sandy hit (the weather reports were so scary) we left Sunday afternoon with the 2 dogs but never expected such devastation...we are still in the hotel and can't move home for weeks maybe months. Everyday gets tougher...but I always try to have a positive outlook and friends and family have been so supportive.

Floating in a box of old photos (stored in the garage) was my grandfather's Star of David from the Concentration camps...he was an amazing man. Surviving 7 camps and losing his wife and 3 daughters he came here from Poland and started his life over.

We will survive this too!!!!! Helene Seinfeld

David Cohn

Dear Ellen,
We are writing this note in response to your show of November 9, 2012. You spoke about the devastation and suffering in the Northeast as a result of Superstorm Sandy.

We have cousins who Live in Oceanside, New York. As a result of the storm, their home was nearly destroyed. Even so, they have been staying in the house without power for 14 days, because they have no place else to go. They also lost their cars, so they are virtually stranded in the disaster zone.

As truly terrible as this story is, it only compounds their back story. Our cousins, Ellen and Todd Turner, have four children. A daughter, Michelle, who just got married at the beginning of August. They also have 18 year old triplets, Robert, Andrew, who just started college at the end of August. And then there's Eric who is Autistic. Needless to say, HE has always been the major focus of the family's day to day life.

In addition, our cousin Ellen had both her Mom & Dad pass away within 10 months of each other in 2010 and 2011. During those two years Ellen spent nearly everyday helping to care for her Dad, who had Alzheimer's, until he died and then for her Mom, who had Cancer. She and Todd would run errands for them, cook and clean for them, and made sure they had their medications They took them to doctor's appointments and when they were hospitalized, they would visit them everyday, even when the hospital was in Manhattan. All the while, Ellen was still working as a Preschool Teacher and handling the daily responsibilities of being a wife and mother (with an Autistic child).

With all this on going trauma, there was yet another tragedy waiting for this family. Just before her Mom passed away, Ellen and her family had a major fire in their house, they lost everything they owned. Fortunately, they were able to find a house to rent in their neighborhood. After about year, they were finally able to move back into their renovated home. THAT WAS JUST THIS SPRING. They thought that finally they could move on and enjoy a normal life. Then, along came SANDY.

With all the difficulties and tragedies that this family has been through in the last two years, they have been able to cope with the adversity. Like the song says, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". Of course, Eric has always been a priority for this family. Even his sister and brothers help to attend to his needs. However, this situation has taken an incredible toll on everyone. Eric is very confused because his daily routines have been disrupted. He hasn't been able to go back to his school which has provisions for Special Needs students. He has lost most of the personal possessions which he needs to provide continuity and stability in his world. Ellen has been able to return to work at her preschool, so she's been taking Eric with her.

We, their cousins, are practically the only family they have. We all live outside of New York, and cannot just run over and help them out, or have them come and stay with us. Their biggest need right now is a car. Both Ellen and Todd finally have the opportunity to return to work. But they don't have a car. Fortunately, I was able to rent them a car that they will have on a week to week basis. They also need to have transportation to get Eric wherever he needs to be.

We are doing everything we can to help this amazing family, even though we are so far away. If there is anything that The Ellen Show can do to help them make it through yet another tragedy, we would be eternally grateful. Please give them all the consideration you possibly can. Our hearts are breaking over what they are going through, and that there is very little we can do to help them.

Thank You so much, in advance for any assistance you can provide. Thanks again.

Very truly yours;

David, Ricki, Sara, Jeremy, Stephanie & Jonah Cohn
Reisterstown, Maryland.

Ted, Denise, Jackie, & Sami Cohn
Manalapan, New Jersey.

Laura Bacskoczky

Dear Ellen

I am writing this letter in response to your show of today. I have a story to tell of the Vasilakos family from Union Beach New Jersey. I guess I should start off by telling you about the individuals in this family.

My friend Nancy Jackson Vasilakos has been my friend since we were freshman in High School, which is about 34 years. Nancy has been my rock for that many years, helping me survive at 16 when my abusive adoptive parents beat me and through me out on the street. Helping me through the loss of those parents after no contact with them for many years. We met our husbands within weeks of each other, got engaged within weeks of each other and married within weeks of each other. She helped me through several miscarriages and fertility treatments for five years until I finally had my precious daughter. She was there for me when I found my birthmother and the fear of wondering if she wanted to see me she was again my rock. She was with me when I met my birthmother at the airport. Nancy about 13 years ago took in her elderly father who had a stroke and since then has had several. She works part time in Target and cares for her father for the most part. We are friends for life; we have never had a disagreement or argument we are like two peas in a pod. Our values are the same
Now on to Robert. Robert is a wonderful man. He is great provider for his family that makes a middleclass income and works nights at a trucking company around 45 minutes to an hour from his home (at least what was his home), now onto the children
Michael is 19 he attends a local community college. His plans up until this disaster were to transfer to Virginia Tech to study Civil Engineering in the fall. After this disaster we sat at my kitchen table and he volunteered to give up going to college and give his parents the money they saved to send him to college. It broke my heart. He works part time at Stop and Shop. He is such a fine young man. His boss does not want to let him go he is such a hard worker but the reality is he will have to leave because of the long trip. He spent his own money to bring me a bouquet of flowers for helping them.
Leyani is 13, she was in her last year at her school and just recently received the lead part in the school play. She is a cheerleader for Freehold Pop Warner, her coaches have been wonderful getting her back and forth to practice preparing for competition this upcoming weekend. She is devastated that she needs to leave her last year at her current school, leaving her friends, her part in her play and all that goes along with being a teenager.
Norman Jackson is Nancy's father. As I mentioned before Nancy's dad has had several strokes and is disabled They moved him in to their home, added a small bedroom on and a handicap ramp (that was ripped from the house during the storm). He is paralyzed for the most part on the left side if I remember correctly.
When Sandy hit the Vasilakos family’s lives were turned upside down. Two days prior they moved their family into a holiday inn. During the storm they lost power. Nancy cared for Mr. Jackson in the dark with a flashlight. It was so difficult. On Tuesday after the storm Bobby and Michael went to see how their home made out. It was pure devastation the home had sunk in the front of the house two feet creating a slant that made the house uninhabitable. Their home was just paid off in September. Bobby and Michael had to go back and tell Nancy there was no way they would be able to return to the home with her dad, therefore they had to place their dad in a Nursing home until they relocated at a cost of $2,000 per week.
I took myself, my son, two of his friends, my daughter and her two friends and my girlfriend to the home on the Friday after the storm when they allowed people to come in and help. I must say I was thrown into a state of shock at the pure devastation around me. People sitting on chairs outside their homes, no heat or electric, homes in the yards of homes. It looked like a nuclear bomb went off. I walked into Nancy's home to find my best friend in shock. Moving items from one end of the table to the other, not knowing where to start. My family and friends helped the family make the home livable for at least one night, we brought firewood to light the wood burning stove but it just was not enough. I took children home where in the car ride home you could hear a pin drop. My son and his friends said they were so grateful at where we lived and to live without electric is not a big deal compared to the fact that there are people worse off.

On Saturday we came back including my husband not knowing what was going to happen. Habitat for humanity came in and helped us pack what little was left, fed us warm meals provided by Fridays. The engineers came in and condemned the home. Now where will we live Nancy said, We cried and we held each other. I told her she was coming home with me. There was great hesitation because in the past Nancy was allergic to my cats and she had two dogs and we were worried how that would work out. I insisted for at least a night to have a comfortable home hot meals and whatever I could provide her. Well we have had a pleasant surprise, we have figured out at Nancy was allergic to my dear Jerry who passed away a few months ago and the dogs and cat are friends, we found Benny sleeping next to Max the yellow lab the other day when my kids came home. They are living in my basement for the time being.

Where we are now: As I said, the family has been with me for a week and it has worked out fine. We tried finding them a place close to Leyani's school but that was impossible with 200,000 families displaced it was very difficult. I advised them they needed to look outside the box. I am a local realtor in Middlesex County and after days of searching I found a home. It was like a god send to find a home for rent that is a mother daughter and perfect for the family. Rent is $2,800 per month.
Fema is giving them a stipend for rent but they have no furniture to move into the house since it was destroyed and their insurance on the house did not cover the contents of the home. The insurance companies are fighting each other already over who is reponsible for the home. Nancy called Governor Christies office to find out what her rights were for her insurance. Her regular insurance company closed their file until they found out that Nancy called the Governors office then they opened up her file again. They are telling them to contents of the home are not covered.
As for items that are needed Dad needs a recliner to sit in, bedroom set, they all need bedroom sets, living room sets and so on. Christmas is going to be difficult with all that they are facing they are afraid to spend money.
If I could ask you to consider this wonderful family in their endeavor to start over it would be greatly appreciated
Laura Bacskoczky
732-742-5728

Lauren Engstrom

Ellen,

I live on Long Island and I am seeing the devastation that has happened to my friends and their families first hand. Many people I know have had to leave their houses and rent apartments until they can fix the damage. I appreciate that you are trying to raise money and awareness because from what I am hearing from friends out of state, what is really happening on Long Island is not being portrayed on the news well outside of the area. Long Island still as over 160...,000 customers without power (12 days after the storm) and we just endured a snow storm to add insult to injury. Families are freezing in their house with thermostat temperatures reading 50 degrees. Children are cold and have missed 2 weeks of school due to the lack of power and the damages. My town of Massapequa was hit very hard and many people lost their homes and their cars due to flooding. I know sometimes you give out cars to people in need and their are many people on Long Island who are in need (just in case you are looking for people). The wonderful thing is that my mother and I were actually turned away when we brought donations to a local park because they were so overwhelmed with donations, this means the community is really coming together to support one another. Although we can donate food, water, blankets, and clothing to our fellow neighbors - we can't replace their houses, their memories, or their cars. Any help that can be given in this terrible time would be appreciated and I think everyone appreciates the help that has already been given. This is going to be a long rebuilding process and we hope that the rest of the country gives their continued support as time goes on, just as everyone did for Katrina. In addition to the damage and power outages, we are dealing with a gas crisis and have just started gas rationing. Even if people have generators to help heat their houses they are having trouble getting gas to fuel the generator. Thank you for everything you do and for helping to raise money and awareness for those in the NY/NJ area who need the help as the winter months arrive and the weather gets colder. Please, if you are reading this comment and you have the ability, donate to the American Red Cross and help all the families and towns that have lost everything in this storm.

-Lauren