When Ellen first came out, Madonna reached out to her and offered her some inspiring advice that Ellen remembers to this day. The two talked about it on the show.

Comments

Gail

I read the full comment and suddenly found the words to help my son. He is autistic and wants no he is a write. He gets very upset over his writing. He creates his books from scratch, scrap leather, wire bindings and sews them together. So creative that he walks in imagination but he fears and doubts his work. He is never satisfied with it. But it is good, great even in the simple humor and joy. i might have to repeat those word about how no artist is ever satisfied... a thousand times before sinks in for him but it will help him. As always Ellen you are my secret weapon of HOPE.

barbara

..."a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others"... well said. Each of us has a specialty in life to which this great message may be applied. Ellen, another one of your inspirations for those from all walks of life, seeking acceptance and love. Thank you for sharing. Really enjoyed your Monday show--YOU, Madonna, her son, her dancers (wow!!), and so nice the two of you were chatting over champagne--your very own tea party, if you will. Friendship is a treasured find. Thanks for the memory.

Bertha Roper

That was very special, thoughtful and supportive especially during that difficult time in your life when people were not accepting as they are today. Things have really changed and people don’t have to be a shame of who they are nor care about the negativity. You have probably helped so many people to open up about their situation. That’s what you call courage and I admire you for that. During that time I can’t even recall all the gossip when story came out because it wasn’t important than nor now. I love you and your amazing show but, I can image being a celebrity in all it hit you very hard. Most importantly you got through it and look where you are now, “The most popular talk show host. "You are simply the best.”

Tammy Dain

“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. ... No artist is pleased. [There is] no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others”
― Martha Graham

Carrie

Hi Ellen,
I loved your interview with Madonna!
You mentioned that the letter Madonna wrote would be on your website. Where? It is very inspiring and I have 3 amazing children that I want to share it with. It was so beautifully written!
Thank you!
Caroline Stallard

1 Reply
martha

Hi

Since I couldn't find Ellen email, would you please give to her this message...Thank you

Dear Ellen,

I know you have heard thousand of times how wonderful you are because you simply are!!! You are an inspiration for humanity.... and for me that I am married with another human being who happen to have the same sex gender. Thank you for teaching other that we are just normal.

Ellen, I love the way you live, the work you do, the success you have and your bank account !!!

I am married with the most wonderful woman on earth; we have a human loving relationship. I am from Colombia. I studied psychology and specialize in trauma and my wife is from Spain, where we live. She is also a psychologist and she's played basketball for 25 years!

We would love to move to the United States to work and live. There is an opportunity to apply for a green card in a lottery, but since we are a gay couple we can't apply. Due the lack of knowledge and prejudices there are many rights we can't have because we are gay.

I wonder if there is something you can find out about this situation. The lawyer said we need to get a job. I used to work in NYC for 5 years as a psychologist, but this place no longer exists. I can send you my resume. I am a very good psychotherapist. Maybe you know an organization that could hire us. My wife wants to work with children --- she loves them.

I am sending you a picture of us. Looking forward to hear form you !

Warmly,

Matha
www.traumatreatments.com

Wanda Messer

Missed the show, it didn't air in Baltimore...due to Hurricane Sandy. Are you going to show it again?

Kat Emerick

I am so excited! I am watching the show with Madonna ...I absolutely love her.. I am almost 60 and still have the Blond Ambitions tee shirt from way back when. Love it!

Anita McCants

Great show Ellen! Wow! Just from hearing a portion of the inspiring advice Madonna gave you and the quote from Martha Graham that she sent you I can see how it not only inspired you but also helped free you. God bless you both :^)