Ellen told the story of how Madonna sent her an inspiring quote when Ellen was in the process of coming out on her show. Below is the full quote that Madonna sent her. Wise words from Martha Graham.

“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open… No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”

Comments

Tennille Dunne

Thank you for reading the quote from Martha Graham (the one Madonna sent you when coming out). I am an artist (a photographer) and when you read that out on your show it was like you were speaking through the tv at me. It bought tears to my eyes and it has really inspired me to bring my photography to the world ... even if it is just to the shop down the road ;-) I'm going to share this quote with all of my friends and family. Thanks again, you are an inspiration.

Mena

Yes...THANK YOU, Ellen and Madonna! I rarely have the opportunity to watch your show, so when I heard this message, I was moved to tears and my heart KNEW I was meant to hear it that day. Still, fear prevailed, as I'm experiencing my own 'coming out' process...until TODAY, when I came to look for this message again and finally found the courage to write you via 'Dear Ellen.' I had been procrastinating for weeks, paralyzed with fear....and today was breakthrough day! I do hope the message gets to you. :)

Thank you for being YOU, for making us laugh and for leading the way for so many! Love and blessings to you.

Cheryl Giandalia

Thank you Ellen and Madonna. As I watch your show I am drawing again after 10 years of throwing away my art supplies in total frustration. Now I am starting to draw again, and the frustration is renewed at not having my pictures come out perfect or as I see them in my head. I'm trying to master a new medium and somehow I must make the colors more vibrant. And yet, I love the creative process and must strive to remember that I am creating a unique thing that would never exist without me doing it. I know that all artist's feel this incompletion which drives us to strive for perfection. I must remember that it's not about the perfection, but about the process and the joy. Thank you for this deeply inspirational message at just the perfect time. I love you Ellen!

richard fiedler

Leaving for Ireland see you July 3,we'll miss the show

helene

Merci à vous et à Madonna de nous faire toujours partager autant de plaisir.
Cordialement.
Hélène.

Sharon

Thank you both, for the tears that, accompanied your reading.

ROSEMARY AGYEMANG

Ellen keep your head up and stay focus.

Alicia Daniel

I so totally enjoyed Madonna on your show. Mostly thrilled for the lucky audience guests winning the opportunity to the next Madonna concert. I was pleased to see her taking a little break after missing her Dallas concert due to laryngitis. Yes, I was one of many who drove great distances with great excitement and anticipation to see her, but how can be that upset when someone you love and enjoy as a performer has this set back? A reminder we are human, even though we tend to have this crazy perception that performers are some what super human. Missed seeing you live Madonna, totally enjoyed seeing you on the Ellen show, it looked like you really had a good time. And how exciting to know two of my favorite performers are related!

1 Reply
petra

beautiful words of comfort to those of us (ie. everyone) wrestling with their own insecurities. thank you so much for sharing.

James

Thank you for these words. They are true for every single person no matter who you are. We all doubt ourselves from time to time and need to remember this.

Felix

Wow, just Wow. Beautiful and inspiring quote not just for the artists and the creatives but for everyone who has ever doubted themselves.

Ali