Country superstar Kellie Pickler was here to show Ellen her new look. After her close friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, the two then faced losing her hair -- together, with a new haircut.

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
Jenny

The bond and friendship between Kelly and her sister is really beautiful.

Mary Beth Challoner

Dear Ellen,
My name is Mary Beth and I live in Toronto, Canada. I was truly inspired by Kellie Pickler and what she did for her GF that I decided to do something too. This Monday, our Thanksgiving holiday, I will be shaving my head as part of a fundraiser for my bestie and the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. Shave for the Brave, as we' ve called it, has already raised over $2000, which still blows my mind, and we haven't even gotten to the weekend fundraiser yet! I thank you for all you do for this crazy and frustrating thing called cancer. My heart goes out and my hat goes off to you. Here's my link ;) Shave for the Brave - http://fnd.us/c/dMlTe. Yours in PINK, MB

Tamara Shoemaker

I am touched by Kellie's story. I am a police officer in Ohio and I was diagnosed Sept. 2010. My partner at work shaved her head with me too. She didn't want me to fill like everyone was looking at me or feeling sorry for me. The minute I began losing my hair she called one of the other guys we work for that owns a beauty shop and they made the arrangement for us to come to his shop and get out heads shaved. She said the same thing Kellie did, "it's just hair and it will grow back". Thanks to all those friends and family that support breast cancer survivors.

Sally Ruemmler

Dear Ellen ,
I watch your show because it makes me smile ,you are so crazy and you make me think of Lucy as in I love Lucy .I was watching your show today after my Dr. App thinking I wish I could find a wig like your hair Really !I know it's funny but mine is very short and dose not look as cute on me as your dose on you !!
Then it popped up ,if you are a survivor share with us . Well I had cancer 23 years ago at the age of 42 and the way I got through it was by watching hours of I Love Lucy .YOU were way to young then lol. Well this year I was diagnosed again .I really thought I was home free ,surprise I was not !! so now I watch you ! I'm so greatful you are on the air you find the best in people ! So if you do a wig call me maybe !!!
Sally

Gayle Sullivan

Hi Ellen,
Thank you for bringing so much attention to breast cancer. I am a 2 year survivor. I had just started a new career as a sewing teacher in a high school at age 58 when I was diagnosed from a routine mammogram. Eight days after surgery, my mother died so it was quite a month! Thanks to my family and friends who got me through all the chemo and radiation, I could not have done it without them. For all of those who are newly diagnosed, it really isn't too bad. I never missed a day of work and the wonderful people I met along my journey I will carry in my heart forever. I could always count on a good laugh watching our show and I thank you for that!

Bailey O'Connor

hey Ellen. I'm 16, but I was 15 years old (on the 10th May, of this year) when i shaved my hair off for cancer. If you go through my photos on twitter at @BaileyOConnor1 you can see the photos of what it looked like when i just get it done and what it looked like before I got it done.

Bernie Szczesniak

Thank you for all you do for breast cancer awreness and as a 7 year suvivor please mention that men are also not removed from this disease.Bernie

Dana McBride

Hi Ellen,
First of all pls let Kelly Pickler know that I want to help Summer with her journey.
I am a 5 yr breast cancer survivor, it was a tough road but I made it!!! I just want you to know that your show helped save my life. At that time your show aired at 10 am est, so it made me get out of bed everyday to watch and laugh..
Thank You for helping to save my life.
Much Love and Light to You and all of your Family!!

Kathy Young

Ellen, I am so glad that you are featuring "Breast Cancer Awareness." I am 68 years old and was not the least bit rattled when I was diagnosed in 2003. I had a lumpectomy surgery, and my surgeon called and said,"Oops." He said "it had fingers and I would need another surgery to remove more tissue & to plant a port." I then went to my new oncologist and had chemo. I think it was too soon after having had surgery and got a terrible infection. My surgeon told me to go to a support group. I went and learned about peppermint oil, 3rd day, and taking my Zofran the evening of the 2nd day b/4 bedtime. I thought when I went in there that I would be among others my age. I was shocked that the majority of the women in that meeting were "30 something." I dropped out of the group because I could not sit there and tell these young women, most of whom had babies, that I was not the least bit scared of the "Big C." They would cry and talk about not seeing their children start 1st grade, graduate or marry. And the most trajic thing about this is that some of them really didn't. Get your mommograms, ultra-sounds!!! I nag my daughters about this because, they can lose me and get over it, but no child should have to grow up without a mom. In 2007 I relapsed & just finished my 5-year-free tests. My time with my girls, my grandies, my husband & friends will have to put with this old woman a little longer. Kathy Young

Matthew Murray

Just saw the show and thought i would leave my story about my wonderful mother. She was diagnosed with breast cancer 13 years ago when i was just 15. She went through all the operations and kemo and came out the other end. Then only a year ago it came back, after going through more operations etc. she came out on the other end again, only to have her youngest son, my brother commit suicide, 1 week before her birthday. My mother has always been the strongest woman i know and for her to keep fighting through all this is beyond belief. I am moving to be with her next week because for the first time in my life i don't see a strong woman, she is trying her hardest for everyone but it's hard to hide that much pain. Anyway that is my story about the most beautiful woman in the world. Love you Mum!

Lisa Breheim

I think this is so wonderful for anyone to do this for a friend or family member. I have recently been battling breast cancer for the past year and was only 35 when diagnosed. After 9 surgeries I am proud and blessed to say I am cancer free. It was amazing to have friends and family to support me through the journey. September 19th will be my first birthday.

Monica

The following is what I posted on my website the day after my daughter shaved my hair back in June 2012.
Its funny how strength comes from the most unexpected places....
Up until yesterday, one couldn't tell there was anything wrong with me, and to be honest, I might have been in denial too....
I had always thought that I could "fake" it to the world,but when bed time came, I would look like a freak to John. I know this may sound silly, but that's what I was worried about. Last night John told me I looked cute bald, but for some reason when I laid in bed the tears wouldn't stop rolling down my face. For some reason when I looked in the mirror, in my mind I looked incredibly vulnerable. Maybe one could blame this on my growing up in Brazil, where all a woman has to be is beautiful....being smart is a plus nobody expects...
John hugged me trying to easy my pain and a few minutes went by until I got a text message on my phone. It was my hairdresser, Candace. For some ungodly reason, she decided to shave her head to support me while I'm going through this ordeal, and sent me a picture of her bald head. I was overwhelmed. She couldn't understand why....it's hard to put it into words. But the tears stopped flowing and all of a sudden I had this newfound strength. Here I was, struggling over shaving my head and she just did it, without a second thought to support me....I still find it overwhelming.
I actually told her that if she had told me she was thinking of doing it, I would have tried to stop her!
I had told Ann not to do it when she told me she was thinking of that..it does feel like its way too much!
Thank you Candace! Thank you for giving me the strength to carry on, baldness and all! We are not our hair! I can't thank you enough and will be forever grateful!
Monica :)

AnaJulia

Thank you Kellie. So glad to see your desire to be supportive to your dear friend with your actions. Actions do speak louder than words and the message you share on the stage with awareness is very powerful. I have been recently diagnosed with breast cancer and I am planning to have a hat party with my friends so they can shave my head. My friends will be wearing hats in support of the journey I will begin and this helps to keep the spirits high. Thanks be to God for their support and kindness.Chemo begins tomorrow and I am looking forward to conquer this and help others that will travel down this road. With God's help, something that appears to be bad can be turned around to be a blessing. Thank you for being a blessing to your friend.

Deb Patterson

Kellie, you are a true sister friend and your friend is so lucky to have your support. I was diagnosed with cancer in May 2012, although it's not breast cancer, I have lung, liver, brain, and bone, I have been taking the chemo and radiation. I am kicking it's butt, that has been my goal since the diagnosis. It truly helps with family and friends to help you stay strong because in order to kick the cancer you need to be strong and with strong family ( blood or not) you can do it. I pray for all cancer victims to have the strength and support to over come!! I have so much wonderful strong family and friend support I wish that for everyone of you that has this dreadful disease too.

barbara

6 of us shaved our heads to support friend with breasted cancer last July.

1 Reply