When Footballer Brendon Ayanbadejo met with criticism for supporting gay marriage, fellow footballer Chris Kluwe wrote an amazing letter of acceptance. Ellen was incredibly moved by his words. It may contain some strong language, but his beautiful message of acceptance and equality is a must-read.

Comments

(Page 4 of 5) Newer12345Older
Cindy

Tina, in the far right corner on the page asking you to sign the petition is a place to click, continue without signing and that takes you to the letter itself.

Nancy Werkmeister

Great letter. For those of you having difficulty finding it, here is the solution. When you are directed to the Democratic petition, on the right side of the page in small letters it says 'Skip This, Continue to site' You will then be at the letter.

Dawn

I applaud Chris for such a great letter. And to all those in the spotlight that support Gay rights!!! Praying at some point this will help the laws change!

I was raised that to be gay is wrong. And in no way should people be able to be married to the same gender. However thankfully my best friend was gay. He showed my family
that he was the same person he was before he came out. That it is ok to be different and still love him.

I am the proud mom of a son that is gay. I feel he should have the same rights that my son that is married to a woman. He knows that I support him in marriage the same as I do his brother. I look forward to the day he is able to marry the love of his life. Someday Washington state will wake u and change their laws.

gregg

With courage one can be who they are, as a happily married gay couple of 15 years with seven adopted kids...kudos.

Lyndsey

Awesome letter!!! I am now a huge Chris Kluwe fan! Good for him and all those who stand up for HUMAN rights!

Dioneila Valderrama

That letter was awasome! EQUAL RIGHT PEOPLE, is very nice to have support and to believe of who we are. I am very proud of who I am and I am not scared to say that I am gay. I was in the closet since I was 12 yrs old and THANKS! to reading and hearing about Ellen, my life is different and I am very comfortable and happy. Thank you for supporting and understanding our way of living.

MJ

Hats off to Chris Kluwe! You are what all of us should aspire to be and I applaud your candor. If only your intelligence and open-mindedness were contagious! Thanks also to Ellen, who mentioned your letter on today's show. She is another angel on earth and we need millions more just like her!

Raidine Benoit

Maried 48 years to the same wonderful guy! Have never understood why anyone thinks the should have be able to tell someone who they should love. Love is love! A family comes in all shapes and sizes .Everyone should have the right to provide for their spouses and children. Get healthcare for them and make decision at the end. This is suppose to be the land of freedom with equal rights for all. Some people need to get over themselves.

Ruth

What a well written letter! The best EVER! I give him kudos for speaking out. Everyone should have the right to be happy and live their lives in equality.

My parents divorced when I was 10 yrs old (in 1972) and because my Mom was gay she had to let my Dad take us to live with him. She had NO rights as a gay parent...the world was different then. She suffered so much not having us and it broke my heart to see this and how the LGBT community was treated. I'm happy that as I turn 50 that things are better then when I was young. It may be a bit slower than I'd like, but it is better.

I hope that some day gay marriage will be a federal law, not just state laws. These athletes, and others who speak out, are the beginning.

Thank you, Ellen, for being the wonderful, caring person you are and sharing this letter on your website.

Lori Lane

While I am horrified at Mr. Burns' comments (and I use the title Mr. sarcastically) I am thrilled that he was stuped enough to do it with an election so close. I truly hope everyone in Maryland uses their right to vote to remove him from office.
Kudos to Chris Kluwe for an amazing letter and standing up for a fellow citizen !!! And Kudos to Ellen for bringing it to all of her viewers attention. Your show is great and extremely entertaining, but I love that you always make a point to point out people who are doing the right thing and helping other people.

Anna

I have a few guy friends who are gay, and they're the coolest guys I know. My best friend of 10 years (since kindergarten {yes, I am in high school}) came out a couple of years ago, and he's happier than he's ever been. He has a successful job with a bright future in store for him. I stand for them and for who they are. And I'm a Christian.

I just don't understand why people treat gay men the way they do. They don't have a disease. They don't have cooties. They're the same as you and me. Those bullies out there should realize by now that no matter what they say or what they do, gay people will still fight for they're voices to be heard and understood. Chris Kluwe, you are one of my hero's. And because of you and Brendon Ayanbadejo, I am now a fan of football. :)

Samantha Bryant

What an intellectual man and amazing human being! We need more people like this in the world today. It is unfortunate to think we have come so far, when we still have so far to go. I am so proud of you Mr. Kluwe and truly amazed.

Wendy

I must ay that i read the letter and was quite pleased with it, it show that there are a lot of people in this world that believes that everyone is entitled to love.I also believe that this debate on whether person of same sex relationship should not even be up for a debate, everyone has the right to be happy and to have love, and if they would like to be married then so be it. And for those that are saying that it goes against god, have you not being saying that we are all god children so as a father would he not be accepting of his child. And as for Mr. Emmett C. Burns has he forgot that as an African American has know what it is like to be discriminated against for the color of your skin, yet is doing the same thing to the gay and lesbian community. I hope this letter and the backlash that will come of this will not only open his eyes but those of other narrow minded people.

Shirley Green

I am not finding the whole letter..when I click on to read more...am redirected elsewhere. Hope someone will help educate me on what I am doing wrong. Thanks

1 Reply
Tina

I'm sorry but where is the letter? The link takes me to a Democratic petition to support gay marriage. Do you have to sign up there before reading the letter? I think this was inappropriate. I wanted to read the letter. I have nothing against gay marriage, don't care either way because it doens't affect me but I do not vote, sign petitions for or against, demonstrate for or against or comment on the subject. Very dissapointed but please correct me if I am wrong. Respectfully, Tina

1 Reply