When Footballer Brendon Ayanbadejo met with criticism for supporting gay marriage, fellow footballer Chris Kluwe wrote an amazing letter of acceptance. Ellen was incredibly moved by his words. It may contain some strong language, but his beautiful message of acceptance and equality is a must-read.

Comments

(Page 3 of 5) Newer12345Older
IAN  SAWERS

Dear Emmett C. Burns, Jr.,

I find it inconceivable that you are an elected official of the United States government. Your vitriolic hatred and bigotry make me ashamed and disgusted to think that you are in any way responsible for shaping policy at any level. The views you espouse neglect to consider several fundamental key points, which I will outline in great detail:

1. As I suspect you have not read the Constitution, I would like to remind you that the very first amendment in this founding do***ent deals with the freedom of speech, particularly the abridgment of said freedom. By using your position as an elected official (when referring to your constituents in order to implicitly threaten the Ravens organization) to argue that the Ravens should silence Brendon Ayanbadejo from voicing his support for same-sex marriage, not only are you clearly violating the First Amendment, but you come across as a narcissistic fromunda stain. What on Earth would possess you to say something so mind-boggingly stupid? It baffles me that a man such as yourself, a man who relies on that same First Amendment to pursue your own religious studies without fear of persecution from the state, could somehow justify stifling another person's right to free speech. To call that "hypocritical" would be to do a disservice to the word. "Mind****ingly, obscenely hypocritical" starts to approach it a little bit.

2. You wrote, "Many of your fans are opposed to such a view and feel it has no place in a sport that is strictly for pride, entertainment and excitement." Holy ****ing ****balls. Did you seriously just say that, as someone who is, according to your Wikipedia page, "deeply involved in government task forces on the legacy of slavery in Maryland"? Have you not heard of Kenny Washington? Jackie Robinson? As recently as 1962 the NFL still had segregation, which was only done away with by brave athletes and coaches daring to speak their mind and do the right thing, and you're going to say that political views have "no place in a sport"? I can't even begin to fathom the cognitive dissonance that must be coursing through your rapidly addled mind right now; the mental gymnastics your brain has to tortuously contort itself through to make such a preposterous statement are surely worthy of an Olympic gold medal (the Russian judge gives you a 10 for "beautiful oppressionism").

3. This is more a personal quibble of mine, but why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate the fact that other people want a chance to live their lives and be happy, even though they may believe in something different from what you believe, or act differently from you? How does gay marriage affect your life in any way, shape, or form? Are you worried that if gay marriage became legal, all of a sudden you'd start thinking about penis? ("Oh ****. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!") Will all your friends suddenly turn gay and refuse to come to your Sunday Ticket grill-outs? (Unlikely. Gay people enjoy watching football, too.)

I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won't come into your house and steal your children. They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster. They won't even overthrow the government in an orgy of hedonistic debauchery because all of a sudden they have the same legal rights as the other 90 percent of our population, rights like Social Security benefits, childcare tax credits, family and medical leave to take care of loved ones, and COBRA health care for spouses and children. You know what having these rights will make gay Americans? Full-fledged citizens, just like everyone else, with the freedom to pursue happiness and all that that entails. Do the civil-rights struggles of the past 200 years mean absolutely nothing to you?

In closing, I would like to say that I hope this letter in some small way causes you to reflect upon the magnitude of the colossal foot-in-mouth cluster**** you so brazenly unleashed on a man whose only crime was speaking out for something he believed in. Best of luck in the next election; I'm fairly certain you might need it.

Sincerely,
Chris Kluwe

P.S. I've also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage, so you can take your "I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing" and shove it in your closed-minded, totally-lacking-in-empathy pie hole.

Cheryl Kent

Ellen, I love your show and DVR it every day. I can't wait to get home from work and watch it. You are a great role model, very generous and fun loving. It is a pleasure watching you every day. I do a lot of laughing, dancing and crying, all at the same time. I was very touched by Brendon Ayanbadejo speaking out on gay marriage. I also applaud the letter written by Emmett C. Burns,Jr. Although it was a bit over the top, I believe he got his point across to Mr. Burns.

Kathleen Kennedy

It is amazing to me how many of our so called "public servants" feel they have the right to pick and choose who they serve. Chris' letter points out the sad fact that many of our elected officals have very little knowledge concerning the principals our country was founded on. Read the constitution and the bill of rights before running people, consider it a job requirement list and if you can't meet those requirements, don't run for office.

R. C.

I was unable to read "An Incredible Letter from Chris Kluwe".
Would have loved to read it.

Melissa Louk

I LOVE your show!!!!! I DVR it everyday and look forward to watching it when I get home from work. It makes me smile, laugh & cry (happy cry). You are such an inspiration! Love you sooo much!

Laura Powell

Wonderful inspiring letter from a great thinking person, Mr Chris Kluwe--hope Mr. Burns also enjoyed the letter! If he is one of our political leaders of our country, makes you wonder why our political system is substandard,right? He needs to get a life and deal with our country's Bigger problems.

Steven Martin

Great article and a fantastic use of the human language........

Pam Norton

Just wait...We'll see Burns on stage w/ Romney any time now. You wait & see.

Bob Osterberg

What a great letter. Besides letting the country know that Mr. Burns is in fact a moron not suited for politics, it may even begin to destroy any chance he has for reelection!

There are far more things to worry about these days, maybe Mr. Burns should spend more time dealing with the economy, job creation, healthcare, and in the event he considers delving into the enforcement of equal rights, he may want to read the constitution before he opens his mouth again.

For those of you who had difficulty finding the entire letter, here is a direct link"

1 Reply
Jennifer S.

My goodness! Chris Kluwe's letter was so well written and really spot on. Maybe Chris's letter will wake us all up to the fact that marriage is symbolic of who we love, no matter who we are.

DSTM

On today's show, Ellen drew attention to the poignant letter written by Chris Kluwe in response to criticism of Brendon Ayanbadejo. She also informed her us that we could read Mr. Kluwe's letter in it's entirety via here website. I WANT to read the letter but do not get the whole content when I follow the prompts. Frustrating to say the least!

Tracy

I love the letter. Great job Chris!!!!!

Irene Odden

Simply, "Well written". It's refreshing for someone in the public eye to really speak their mind in support of others.

Diana

Fantastic letter.

Sean

He sure has a fantastic vocabulary. And a fantastic mindset and sense of courage.

As an openly gay male, and proud Canadian, I want nothing more for the States but to legalise same-sex marriage. To me, the U.S. seems barbaric and arbitrary for this sole reason alone, and because of this I have no interest in ever residing nor traveling back to the States. My hat goes off to all LGBQT people who have to live without equal rights in a supposedly "free" country - especially in this day and age.

(Page 3 of 5) Newer12345Older