At 5 months old, Avery Canahuati was diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy, and doctors feared that she would only live another 18 months. Faced with what has to be the most devastating news a parent can hear, Avery's mom and dad began blogging on behalf of their daughter to raise awareness of SMA and to start Avery's "Bucket List."

Their story, as well as beautiful words and videos of their daughter touched people all over the world. Sadly, Avery lost her battle with SMA earlier this week. She was 5-and-a-half-months old.

Everyone at Ellen is sending their thoughts and wishes to her two incredible parents. We all miss this very inspiring little girl.

saying goodbye to avery

Comments

(Page 1 of 3) 123Older
Letty

My prayers are with Avery's family. I lost two of my grandchildren to SMA. One lived to be 1 years old and the other lived to be 6 months. Avery is an angel now no longer in pain. May God Bless her family.

Sharon Benson

We all come into this world with a life God has planned. When we lose someone so very close to us we wonder is God punishing us, the pain is sometimes very hard to cope with, but you will make it through. Each day will get easier as you go, just keep the memories.
You just remember your sweet baby is under Gods watch and will be loved.
May God bless you all.

Mitzi Bridge

Father I ask that your peace be poured out over these Parents..and hold them in your arms when they dont feel your strenght. I pray they feel your LOVE you have for them and you also to understand you also had feel their heartache for you understand.
Blessing's to you'se
Mitzi

Teri Cameron

How can someone be so perfect, yet be so sick :(

Barbara Felberg-Jackson

I want to send you a sympathy card
for I know this must be so very hard
You brought into this world beautiful, special, baby Avery
Now is the time to show your bravery
Brief as it seems
she excelled past ones dreams
now she will guide you through life
free of anger or strife
anytime you close your eyes
she'll show up in your pleasant dreams free from disguise
one day you will see why little Avery came to be
at that time you will be free
she is in your heart
from the very start
she is in your soul
for she presents a longterm goal
never to leave our mind
for one day you will find
how lucky she is that the two of you brought her to be
for all to know she is so precious to me

with love,
Barbara dawn

marinella

You come back in a better world angel, You are going back for a while so God can make it right for you. I will pray for your return soon.

Christina

Our friends had a daughter with SMA, She lived until last year at the age of 6 years old. My heart goes out to you and your family. I let my friend know that I am thinking of her all the time. I, as a mother cannot imagine what your going through, but knowing a little girl who had SMA, and let me tell you she was the bravest little girl I ever met. Her Mother and Father, are possibly the strongest parents I have ever met. Very dedicated to their child, and family. Children with SMA are very special. You love them unconditionally and yet they are taken away way too soon! My thoughts are with you.

Debbie Storms

Blessed are your parents Avery for having you in my heart I realize that the Lord assigns children that have special needs special parents. How their lives have been so touched by your days of love and sweetness you shared with them and they will be fine because you will always be their little angel.

Devona Wiedenmeyer

You are beautiful Avery. God is holding you now. I lost my son in 1992 in a motorcycle accident and I thought this pain would always be this way. Your pain will soften in time you will be able to think of this beautiful little girl and smile one day. God bless.

Renee

She is now in the arms of the angels, where she will find comfort. To her family, I can't imagine the loss and hurt you must be going through. My thoughts and,prayers are with you and your family.

Fonda Dennis

FROM OUR FAMILY TO YOURS WE ARE SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOST.BUT FRET NOT GOD HAS GIVEN OUT A NEW SET OF WINGS SO LET HER FLY.

Mary I. Cameron

Avery is such a beautiful baby, and a very special soul. I can't imagine how much you hurt. You must remember God takes care of his babies.
God Bless you both.
Mary.

jean ferrari

Your daughter was a beautiful baby. I extend my empathy to you on her loss. I hope you have many wonderful memories of her.

Marian Brereton

What a beautiful little girl, and what a beautiful Mummy and Daddy. I have only just read your storey , I so wish there was some way I could ease you pain the only thing I know how to do is to pray for you both.

Sandra Tatarsky

This beautiful child is now one of God's Angels.

(Page 1 of 3) 123Older