Do you know an inspiring person, like Principal Sherrie Gahn of Whitney Elementary? Sherrie takes care of her students by paying rent and utilities, buying clothes and food bags and more, and her dedication is remarkable.

We want to know: do you know someone who is making the world a better place? Do you want to thank them in a big way? Tell us about it! We want to know what they did, and how it helped you or someone else.

be on the show: inspiring person

Comments

(Page 1 of 4) 1234Older
Tia Lindholm

Dearest Ellen,

We are two high school students who are looking to make it big in the media broadcasting industry. We attend John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights, Illinois. We take the responsibility of broadcasting the morning announcements for our entire high school. Our morning news broadcast is called "Mornings with Tia and Mina."
We are contacting you today in hopes of you watching our video and when it is done, wanting to see more. We would appreciate if you contact us back and provide any constructive criticism. You inspire us everyday to make our broadcasts the most entertaining to our viewers. We have made a video just for YOU showcasing our passion to accomplish our dream.

***Here is a link to the video on youtube: http://youtu.be/rUCBUQQIUvc

Watching your show has inspired us to continue to work hard and have fun doing what we love. It is because of you that we are the news anchors we are today! Our fans are called Tina's and maybe after watching this video you can join the Tina fan base!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully you watched the video!
-Tia Lindholm(email:tiaelindholm@gmail.com) and Mina Sabet(email:minabina10@sbcglobal.net)
Arlington Heights, Illinois

Stephanie Aguirre

dear Ellen, i would like to tell you about an inspiring person that i love and know. i am 15 years old i would like to tell you about my mom. my mom is the best mom i have ever known. ill tell you my story. it all started 4 years ago when my grandmother passed away. that was the most devastating day in our lives. my mom and my aunt and uncle had to come up with a way to pay the funeral costs. fortunately my grandmother was in the army had a voucher for a free funeral. ( i should say all expense paid ) that was a very hard that my mom had to deal with, mostly because she was the oldest and had to decide what to do since her siblings look up at her. shortly after that devastating day my mom and dad started bickering and arguing that my dad got on his motorcycle and crashed. the motorcycle was a wreckage. i remember our shrill cries as we herd the thud and crash of it all. they took him to the UFC hospital in L.A. in the beging the doctors said that my dad was fifty percent brain dead and that he would most likely not make it, and if he would then he would be sick. My dad was in a coma. not being able to do anything about himself. 3 weeks later a huge miracle happened and my dad came out of his coma 100 percent cured. i don't know how it happened but it did. that was surely the work of God. my dad was home safely but still recovering but lost his job as a carpenter. we were struggling with money problems so we decided to move to mexico. ( THE HUGEST MISTAKE MY FAMILY HAS EVER MADE) because my dad was afraid that his mom was going to die and he wanted to see her in her last days. so we went to mexico and met our family and my mom and dad enrolled us into school over there. it was the most worse experience ever. me and my sister flunked and were teased and taunted by this one girl. my dads family wasn't treating my mom so well and we weren't happy. so we left without my dad. my dad couldn't come with us because of his legality. so we left to go live with our cousin in modesto california, near sacramento and fresno. a huge differnce then where we were. my mom was suffering with money problems and was so streesed you can tell because i always heard her cry in the night everyday and everynight. i wanted to help but we couldnt. we were still underage to work and plus we had school to attend. soon we got comfortable and my mom enrolled us into our new school. my 2 year old sister at the time always cried for my dad and that made my mom cry because she knew there was nothing she could do about it. we all missed him and couldnt possibly think of any thing else we wanted more than to hug him once more. my mom was desperatly trying to find employement to support us and to move out because our cousins were already acting kinda rude. my mom was very pressured and was very nervouse to see what she was going to do. she finally found a job as a 99 cent store cashier. she was so deppresed because my mom was always a high status working women. she went from assistent maneger to a cashier ini a matter of 2 months. we finaly moved out into a small apartment thanks to my moms tax money and she got us some furniture and other things we needed for the apt. the apt. buildings we lived in were bad. the people always smoked drugs and said grotesque things. my mom was very angry that we had to be prone to that. after that we moved to tijuana to reunite with my dad. we missed him so much that we couldnt stand it anymore. me and my siblings stayed with my dad in tijuana while my mom went to go workl in baldwin park. she was so hard working that she would drive 6 hours from baldwin park to tijuana every weeked.( a lot of gas) oh and btw our car was a total trash wreck. after that it was time to go back to school. and my mom had to seperate us from our dad so that we can go to school. we went to stay at my uncles house and we went to school. while my dad stayed in tijuana. my mom and i and my siblings moved to commerce california (where we are now) and go to school in baldwin park. and my dad is in prison because he got caught trying to cross the border illegaly. for his family by the way. my dad is not a bad guy. hes the biggest family guy i know. and my mom is trying to getr him out of prison with a lawyer. and my mom is gooing through a lot of struggles rite now. so it would be a very big deal if you would help us ellen. you are my idol. i love your show, please ellen. i am a 15 year old teenager who is begging you for your help! please ellen
love ste[hanie aguirre.

Stephanie Aguirre

my mom

Molly Giles

Bell Barnawell is the most inspirational person I've ever had a privilege to know. She was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis when she was just a month or two old and the first couple of years were basically complication free. Bell is now 9 years old and since she was about 3 years old she has been in and out of hospitals. She became a candidate for a double lung transplant in 2010 and received her first transplant in September of 2011. She had constant problems from the start of this first transplant and was soon in rejection. She then became a candidate for a second double lung transplant which she received in November 2013. Things seemed to have been going very will for Bell until a week ago. She began running a fever and tests were run. Bell has now been diagnosed with cancer, more tests are being run to find out the extent and prognosis.
Throughout everything Bell has been through, she has held her head high. Her smile and faith in God has never wavered. She has a sassy sense of humor that is infectious. She loves to laugh and tell jokes. When everyone else has low spirits, she lifts them up. She is a big sister to her little sister Rory, Bell is Rory's hero, there is nothing and no one in this world to her like Bell is. Bell and Rory have even donated their hair to Locks for Love multiple times. Bell recently got her ears pierced, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but she was finally able to do something that a normal girl her age should be doing instead of hanging around in a hospital. She was glowing at this simple act, I've never seen her so happy.
Her story should be shared with the world. She's stronger than anyone I know and more giving than you could imagine. Bell and her family have been through so much and we are all completely shocked by this recent news.

Molly Giles
(Bell's Aunt)

Tori Barbieri

Hi Ellen, I am twelve and I am from Alberta, Canada and I would like to share with you that my mom and dad are very inspiring parents to me. My mom has been sick in a way. She can't drive and my dad just starting to work four jobs, so we need to ask a bunch of people to get us places or we take a bunch of taxi. My brother plays soccer and i play ringette so that is a lot of driving. My mom does not work any more she gets payed a little bit from her work, but they are going to have to let her go. My mom ask our government for help and they said no we can not help you. Some days my mom is feeling okay and others not. My mom can't ski with us or swim or even skate and many more things that she can't do. So she pushes herself those days when she is not feeling so great and help me and my brother onto the bus in the morning she comes to my brothers soccer games and my ringette games when she can. She prepares dinner for us and cleans. She does all of this stuff even though sometimes she can't because she is sick. She still finds a way to make my dad, my brother and I happy. And my dad he is working four jobs to pay for my brother and my sports and school fees and getting my family food and other stuff like that to make my brother, my mom and I happy too. My family has been living like this for three years.
Thank you for reading this inspiring story of my parents.

Loretta Jackson

Hi Ellen, I love watching your show and all of the wonderful deeds you do for everyday people. I have a touching story regarding my Niece Sharon Hopkins, who is a teacher in Detroit, Michigan at the University Prep H.S. She takes money from her pocket at the beginning of every school year to purchase ANY & ALL supplies her student may need during the school year. She and her students are breaking records from left and right in the field of debating. She is a new teacher who has never been in a situation where her students would debate in their school let along progress in these Tournaments as they have on every level. There has never been a debate team at the school. They have been featured in News Papers, other Articles and on FOX2 News because they are the first African American Students from Detroit to break debate records of any kind. Please look at her Facebook page Sharon Hopkins, all of their awards and stories are featured. The last time they were featured on FOX 2 News, they were trying to raise the last $2,000.00 so they can go to California to compete in the finals which is also a first for the Detroit School System. I am not asking for any help with the funds which are needed for the trip because Sharon will not stop until they have achieved their goals. I am writing you on her behalf because lips would fall off before she asked anyone for help for herself. So Ellen, I am humbly asking for her. She needs a new SUV to replace the one she now drives. If she knew I was contacting you for help for her instead of asking for help for her "children" as she calls them, she would not be impressed. They always and in all ways come first. I’m sure she is not the only teacher who goes the extra mile for their students but she’s the only one I am requesting help for at this time. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Ellen reward this inspirational and inspiring young lady for her selfless work with a new SUV. Thank you in advance. Loretta Jackson.

Paulette

Hi Ellen, love watching you - in this crazy mixed up world you bring such kindness. I am writing about a 9 yr old, named Robert,that as been battling cancer for 3 years. To follow Roberts story go to http:/rathat04.blogspot.com, or email csharec@gainesvilletimes.com-- she recently did a story on "Robert the Great"- why is healed that -- because of the great spiritthisboyhas-- this summer he sold lemonade,and in Oct he went to school principal and had a Cap for the cure day at school-- kids brought in $1. - and they could wear a hat all day-- he raised$533.- which he donated to Cure ChildhoodCancer-- Robert wants to help with research, "so other kids can be helped"- did you know that the government allocates only 4% to research for our kids with cancer-- these kids are our future. Robert was recently on Stars94 radio station to talk about his journey. What a kindness this would be if you mentioned this on your show, and promote awareness of Childhood Cancer. If you need any further info I can be reached at us2oldharts@zoominternet.net. In today's world, many people when they become famous, they forget about kindness--I am so glad your Mama raised you right.
As a very proud but humbled grandmother of Robert, I say thanks for reading my letter.
Paulette Hart. (If any of your friends need a tax right of-- Cure Childhood Cancer is the site to use-- in honor of Robert Hart)

Nancy Katen

I know an inspiring teacher both as one of her past parents and as a co-worker. Before I became a teacher, Sandy Dayton taught my 3 children in first grade. She's been a teacher for many years....not sure how many, but over 30. She retired several years ago, but is a daily presence at our school. She volunteers her time to do small group intervention with our socio economic students 4-5 days a week without any type of pay. She lives to teach and gets to know the kids so well inside and out. She use to share a portable with another resource teacher, then shared a room with the after school program at our school, but has now been booted out and takes her teaching on the go, roving from classroom to classrom with her supplies in a rolling canvas cart. Through all these inconvenient daily routines, she never complains about her situation. She is having knee surgery this week and so she will be out for a couple weeks. She made books and other items to help out the regular classroom teachers with "her" students. If Ellen is able to help out this fabulous, inspiring teacher....I'd love if she could somehow get a portable of her own, or maybe a camper that she could hold classes in on campus...ha ha, so she could keep her teaching supplies and not have to take her teaching on the go. Thank you, Nancy

Amanda Sanchez

everybody loves kindergarten right? Runny noses, tattle telling, and the knowing of nothing. Well Noel Costallos does she absolutely loves her job, and all her students. she's exciting and enthusiast to teach young minds of America. and that's not very easy from the school which she teaches that it's ranked number 2 in the county which one being the worst and the students that go to the school are low income, so mostly the supplies come from her out of her own pocket and she struggles everyday to teach these kids as much as she can because when they go home they will have no help! she visits the kids in the hospital when they're sick already this year have been two. I have pictures and video I would love to share! thank you for your time I hope to hear from you love always Mia's mama

sorro hammond

dear Ellen,

My name is sorro and I would like to tell you about two inspiring people named Charles and Ali Trippy. Charles and Ali Trippy are married and live in Florida. They make daily youtube videos for a living do***enting their life. The basically video tape what they do every single day from small things such as cooking dinner going the beach, or big things such as their weddingand going on warp tour with his band we the kings (he is the bass player). They have been doing this now for five years and their proposal and wedding can be found on Youtube. Now through doing this they have gained a huge audience. They just hit 1 million subscribers. Now the reason I am doing this, is because in 2011 Charles had a seizure when he was on tour with the band. He went to the hospital and after different tests and results the doctors determined he had a mass (tumor) in his head. He needed to do surgery to remove. Through all of this, his wife and him still continued to video tape it and put it all online for their viewers. They found that not only how great their fans support was, but also how much they were helping other people who had gone through similar situations. After the surgery the doctors said he was good. Then this past year he has had several seizures, and after visiting a doctor in Boston to determine what is going on, they told him that his tumor had grown back, and another surgery would be necessary. His and wife and his (along with his family) flew to Boston and he had the surgery (the end of september 2013). Now for the surgery he had to be awake because the doctors needed to ask him questions and ask him to answer to commands. He vlogged the entire surgery and put it up online for his viewers. After the surgery he had to re-learn to move his fingers and use his arm on his left side. Through the vlogs you see him progressing and realized just how strong of a person he is. despite the situation, he is overcoming everything. Him and his wife recently found out that it is cancer, and that he will have to undergo chemotherapy. They have sworn to keep making videos and that this will not stop them. They are so inspiring and they would be honored to meet you

Judy Kluegel

Dear Ellen,
I have one person in my life, who has not only become mine and many others "hero" but is an inspiration to every person she has ever met. Her name is "Jodi Beth Shilling" and she is one of the best teacher's in the world. She teaches at two separate schools. She is an art teacher and volleyball coach, and all I want to do for her is to acknowledge her commitment timelessly, to her students, even though she was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 30 she is now 36. Jodi never stopped teaching during those horrid chemo and radiation treatments, and she never complained. She was a survivor for almost five years, until the cancer returned, stage 4 this time. I have a newspaper article that you would have to take the time to read, to understand the love this woman gives, and now all that love is being returned by oh so many people in these two communities. All I want is to be able to have her get the recognition she deserves for she is still hoping for remission, we find out this Friday. You always have these strong wonderful people who are true heroes in life on your show, and if you miss this woman, you are definitely missing one of "THE BEST!" I just want to share what is on Facebook and in the newspaper's, for this will show you how wonderful my niece "Jodi Beth Shilling" truly is and will always be in the eyes of all who love her.
Thank you for your time, and please have someone contact me for the article, please.....
JudyAnn Kluegel

Alex

Dear Ellen,

My name is Alex and I would like to tell you about two inspiring people named Charles and Ali Trippy. Charles and Ali Trippy are married and live in Florida. They make daily youtube videos for a living do***enting their life. The basically video tape what they do every single day from small things such as cooking dinner, or big things such as their wedding. They have been doing this now for five years and their proposal and wedding can be found on Youtube. Now through doing this they have gained a substantial audience. They just hit 1 million subscribers. Now the reason I am writing to you about them, is because in 2011 Charles had a seizure when he was on tour with the band he is a part of. He went to the hospital and after different tests and results the doctors determined he had a mass (tumor) in his head. He needed to do surgery to remove. Through all of this, his wife and him still continued to video tape it and put it all online for their viewers. They found that not only how great their fans support was, but also how much they were helping other people who had gone through similar situations. After the surgery the doctors said he was good. Then this past year he has had several seizures, and after visiting a doctor in Boston to determine what is going on, they told him that his tumor had grown back, and another surgery would be necessary. His and wife and his (along with his family) flew to Boston and he had the surgery (the end of september 2013). Now for the surgery he had to be awake because the doctors needed to ask him questions and ask him to answer to commands. He vlogged the entire surgery and put it up online for his viewers. After the surgery he had to re-learn to move his fingers and use his arm on his left side. Through the vlogs you see him progressing and realized just how strong of a person he is. despite the situation, he is overcoming everything. Him and his wife recently found out that it is cancer, and that he will have to undergo chemotherapy. They have vowed to keep making videos and that this will not stop them. They are so inspiring and they would be honored to meet you and be on your show

Nina Bishop

Dear Ellen,

I'd like to take a moment and tell you about how my cousin, Mark.

Mark's got a great attitude. He was known as 'Cotton Top' in high school. He had Einstein hair, white and wild, and was manager on the school football team. Everyone loves Mark.

About 15 years ago Mark was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia. So rare in fact, when he dies, his body will go to science for study. I love him so much I drove from Colorado to Texas to be with him in the hospital. Mark was to have a stem cell transplant. He had a sister who was an exact match but due to her lifestyle; they couldn't use her as a donor. He had another sister, who was a near match, and on her 40th birthday she gave her younger brother the gift of life.

Mark is still with us but fights rejection every day. He's lost his teeth, his hair, is losing his sight and has died and been revived. He no longer has a good short term memory due to oxygen deprivation. His medications are many and expensive. There's a procedure for his condition but he's not strong enough. He's thinner than I've ever seen him but he never dwells on himself. He helps raise his sister's child, takes care of his elderly mother, and tries not to let life get him down.

When I dwell on my problems; I stop and think of Mark.

Timothy Hedden

Hello my name is Timothy Hedden an artist and the creator of Angels of Virtue. Georgia is my home state and in 2007, ,Oprah visited here for her favorite things show. Interestingly enough I was the featured artist in Macon Magazine at the time and I had the honor of meeting Oprah in person. I am grateful for having met Oprah and I believe our meeting was indeed a divine appointment. Oprah has inspired me for many years and having a personal connection with her has influenced me to be all I can be as an artist and has encouraged me to take my art to a whole new level, one of meaning and purpose. Each week I am inspired all the more as I tune in to Oprah’s Master Class and my personal favorite her Super Soul Sunday. Both help me to connect the dots in the big picture of life. Please see attached press release: http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/139082-oprah-winfrey-in...

theresa hammer

i take care of my sister ,since dad died i need ellens help. i am at my wits end gonna lose my home my vehicle .also my self respect. can you help i tried sending email to you did not work my husband is a submarine veteran out of work.help.i try to watch your show i was working two jobs cannot do anymore i have edema in my feet but gotta work. thanks desperate in ct

(Page 1 of 4) 1234Older