I hope you'll take a moment to watch this powerful and moving video that documents the fight for equal rights in our country. It's a great reminder of the work we still need to do, but also of how far we've come. I'm proud to have been included.

web video: equal rights

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
Laurie Dirks

I could not even watch that video all the way through. It sickens me how ignorant people are against someone who loves another human being who happens to be the same sex. I have a gay aunt (who is my favorite) and a gay uncle. I have many friends who are gay. I am just so glad that now it is an easier world for people to come out. My aunt is 67 (and loves your show by the way) and she told me she had a very hard time when she was growing up because she never hid the fact that she was gay. My daughter is heterosexual (and 16) - I told her growing up that she can love whoever she chooses. I think it is important to let your children know growing up that it is Ok to date whatever race or sex they choose.

Janice

Dear Ellen, I have a brother who is gay and I have had to beat a few stupid humans up because of this. I love my brother very much and to make matters worse he has hiv. I worry about him all the time. He had a hip replacement done a little while back and some of my family members made me sick I had to go take care of him and the others family members I mean were too afraid of touching him I have tried to educate them on this subject but they just don't listen. I feel for my brother he is so lonely and feels left out of the family they don't seem to want to see him or visit him I wish I could take him to meet you but the funds aren't just there. people are so stupid when it comes to trying to explain that gay people love and can be loved just as well as the next person. Besides who are we to judge right. I just wish people would wake up and stop the stupity of the unknown that they don't want to know. thanks for listening to me Janice Rowark Effingham illinois

ro

Lori Thompson

"The Children almost broken by this world become the adults most likely to Change it." -Frank Warren

Dear Ellen,

My name is Lori Thompson. I am a high school theatre teacher and the director of a student theatrical production called The Bullycide Project.The Bullycide Project travels to schools in Michigan and throughout the US and Canada. The production is based on the book Bullycide in America compiled by mothers who have lost a child to bullycide, suicide due to bullying. The Bullycide Project tells the stories of 5 individuals of bullycide. Student performers of The Bullycide Project have interviewed the families of bullycide in order to tell their son/daughter's story authentically. Personal belongings of bullycide individuals are used in the production in order to bring the story of the bullycide individual to middle school and high school audiences with truth and honesty. The production also tells true and personal stories from the bully, the bystander, the upstander, and so many other perspectives of the subject matter. The Bullycide Project has empowered many that see the production and inspires audiences to "Speak for those who can't" when bullying occurs.
The Bullycide Project was invited to present at the Federal Partners in Bullying Prevention Summit in Washington DC and was also featured on CBS 48 Hours Words Can Kill. We would love the opportunity to present our work and mission on your show to educate audiences further on anti-bullying awareness and our mission of SEE IT, HEAR IT, STOP IT.
Here is our Emmy winning promotional trailer:

Thank you so much Ellen for the work you do and your message of daily kindness to one another. "To the World you may be One person but to ONE person...you are the world."

Sincerely,

Lori Thompson
Artistic Director
The Bullycide Project

Kris Williamson

Bullying of all kinds is so real for so many. Thank you ellen for your work to change this. I support everyone in all they do, if it isnt harming anyone and it doesnt interfere negatively in my life then i do not believe that it is my business. There is much more work to do.
I am a transgendered male currently in transition. Transphobia is a real and terrifying thing. It takes courage to come out and tell people who you really are and not know how they will respond. Its scary to walk down the street and not know if people will harass you because of who you are. Right now i am taking testosterone but unfortunately insurance companies think that transition is experimental and unnecessary so i cannot move on to the next step because of affordability.
Its hard to find doctors, medical facilities, insurance companies,housing, jobs, restaurants and bathrooms that are accomodating and do not discriminate.Most people take these things for granted and these are things that have to be considered each and every day for a person who is gender queer. The fear, uncertainty, frustration but also pride and love and humility. Its confusing. The family and friends who have embraced me and the trans community that has embraced and allowed me to understand i am not alone or crazy is amazing.
Still that fear lingers, having to never let down your guard, wondering if someone will see that you are different and will take negative action because of this. I think the gender queer community is misunderstood and we need to educate people and show them that we are not monsters.
I believe that the ellen show would be a great place to bring visibility to this issue. And i would appreciate any effort made to bring light to the gender queer community. Even within the LGB and some radical feminist community there is misunderstanding and disrespect. We just want to be treated the same as everyone else.
Treat others as you would like to be treated.Be kind to one another. Thank you for your advocacy, and for the laughter you bring to the world.

Brian Fromme

My name is Brian Fromme. Until about 1/2 an hour ago I was led to believe I was taking part in an HIV vaccine clinical trial that would help slow the spread of HIV by priming the system with an antibody made from a dead HIV strain wrapped in a common cold virus. The hvtn505. I am now under the impression that the entire study was a sham on several levels. I believe that in my particular instance, the entire study (as I heard explained to my mother) was based on giving everyone saline injections. I thought and was lead to believe that I had and continued to have seroconversion like symptoms, although I have been told consistently over the past 4 years that I keep testing negative. I just read that my study was a possible scam perpetrated in the name of Emory Universities Hope Clinic, The CDC, The NIH and The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I have believed I was lucky and blessed that what I thought (according to also my vital statistics taken post inoculation weeks [low grade fever, nausea, cramping, night sweats]) was my bodies reaction to the vaccine. Today it was explained to my mom that it was a placebo type effect. If I am piecing it all together. The program here in Atlanta at 500 Irvin Ct, Suite 200, Decatur, GA 30030 is actually a cash cow to monitor and treat drug use. They haven't been trying to find a prevention for HIV. They were trying to find a way to end the behavior that caused HIV. They were correct that the people they chose to participate we're in a high risk group. I'm 43, single and never practiced safe sex. I didn't purposefully go out to try and get pozzed. I continued doing the same things I've done all my life. I just spent and put more free time and effort into 'having sex for science'. Now I found out it was all lies. I am devastated. I understand the family may have already been compensated for the lies and malpractice, yet my nightmare continues. I took what was to be my final blood test today. I am expected to continue to participate in blood work every 3 months from now on with them. The study and me being so vocal on it really had me believing that I had been inoculated. Now, either I am really immune (which would be cause for celebration to have someone who is immune to study) or I've been lied to and am already positive and was lied to so they could study me further. This study ruined my life. I have no friends left. I have been diagnosed with PTSD, I have high blood pressure, I have an anxiety disorder. I caught criminal charges on a post exposure week, thinking the behavior was caused from my body fighting seroconversion, when in fact, I probably did seroconversion that week. I believe people have been paid to lie to me. I have no one left I can trust. I was told today by Dr Asaaf Aleem, my psychiatrist that I need to get a job and move out of my mothers. The only place I feel safe. I am scared. I don't know what to do or who to believe. I saw your video from the 2012 aids conference in DC. I know there has been a huge cash pay out from the drug manufacturer. My entire family is Rollin in money and I am barely making it. I have 76 cents in my checking. My mother wants to put me out on the streets. I have been told to find an attorney for my medical condition, but not told what medical condition that is. I am using recreationally more now than in the past from the loneliness. I am constantly nauseous. My head hurts. My back hurts. It hurts to breathe. I have irritable bowell syndrome. My primary care doctor fired me as a patient. No attorneys will speak to me. One did and stated that I needed to find someone who specialized in trusts. My name is Brian Patrick Fromme. I am 43 years old. I believe that my brother and mother have conspired to keep the money and make me look crazy, or set me up for jail by making false charges. I need someone's help. Now. This minute. Please call me. Do it from a hotel, or office where the caller Id looks like something other than your name. Tell them it's for a payday advance, or a car loan. Please help me. I have no one to turn to. I saw the videos on line from the gentlemen who went through this and was one of the last guys to get some cash out of it. I've also awakened with large ulcers in my mouth. I want to vomit now. Please help me.

Brian Patrick Fromme
3331 Hart Way, SW
Snellville, gA
30039-4388
7708641775 home
4046214853 cell
781916-8341 textplus

I don't know if you will reach me. I'm being constantly berated with being told I'm crazy, delusional, irrational, a junkie, a thief, a bully. I need help.please.

Call my friend Teresa at 8142336363 first. That's her cell tell her what's up. Ask her to find me and have her get me your number. I've got to get away from ga before they do something bad to me. P,ease help me. They are taking aim at gays. I'm scared. Her home number is 8146296147. Or my friend Kim. 8146291425.

BPFromme

BPFromme

TEBA WILKERSON

I AM THE MOTHER OF A LESBIAN DAUGHTER AND GOD MOTHER TO A GAY SON . I SUPPORT ALL THINGS GAY RELATED. SAME SEX MARRIAGE, SAME SEX ADOPTIONS ETC. IVE ALWAYS HAD GAY FRIENDS GROWING UP, AND MY MOTHER RECENTLY MADE THE COMMENT THAT IT WAS GETTING ME READY FOR MY DAUGHTER. IRONICALLY NAMED LADY AT BIRTH DUE TO HER BEING BORN WITH HER LEGS CROSSED. I GET INTO HEATED DISCUSSIONS WHEN I HEAR PEOPLE MAKE HORRIBLE REMARKS IF A GAY OR LESBIAN PERSON WALKS PAST OR IS ANYWHERE I JUST HAPPEN TO BE. I WILL NOT STAND BY AND WATCH SOMEONE BE BULLIED. I WOULD LOVE OT OPEN UP A CENTER WHERE GAY TEENS AND ADULTS CAN COME A LEARN, BE TESTED AND JUST HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH EACH OTHER AND NOT BE JUDGED FOR THEIR SEXUAL PREFERENCE. MY BELIE IS THAT YOU ARE BORN GAY AND SHOULD EMBRACE IT WITHOUT BEING JUDGED.

maria

I'm a 5th grader who comes from a very religious family but I support gay marriage. I myself tell my friends about how gay marriage is not wrong but, for accepting gay marriage i've been bullied. They might insult me and I might have lost all my friends for gay marriage but, I won't stop supporting gay marriage.

Catherine Miller

This video brought tears to my eyes. I thought we had evolved beyond this. No one should be afraid to be theirself and do what brings them happiness. I saw, recently on tv, that a young boy was being bullied because he loved to dance. (really) He dances everywhere all the time. He is good. Why are we treating each other like this? (Why can't we all get along?) But seriously...In my opinion, the only thing that should be in the closet are Shoes. Ellen, you are awesome, love your show and all you do.

Alessandra "Sandy" Kellermann

This should be shown in every middle and high school in our country.
This is a civil rights issue and my kid has understood this since age 6 so why can't everyone else finally get it ????

audrey

Very touching. I admire Ellens dedication to using her show for good causes and to bring attention to issues so relevant to all of us these days.
Please do not ever become disuaded by those few in a thousand who will chose to judge others, or not agree with your personal choices. It is your life and you are doing so much good.
I admire you and your wonderful sense of humor, you are a great role model for many and I think all you do is admirable.

Maggie Lewies

This video really touched me deeply. I think we all should live an equal life as we deserve it. Each one of us deserves a happy life,a happy home,a wife or a husband. It doesn't matter if you are a man or a women,straight or gay. You are allowed to be loved and treated with kindness. I am very closeted. Unhappy. Single. With no perspectives.
Do not want to live anymore.
Wish everybody luck and happy life.

George Rockel

All through grade school and high school, I was bullied. I assumed it was because I am gay, but later in life, I realized not only am I gay, I also have Asperger's Syndrome (Highly Functional Autism). So I now understand that I am way different than my peers. I find at times I am still bullied around issues of ASD (Autism Spectrum), but no longer because I am gay. It has become easier to be an out and Gay male now, than when I was younger, but the stigma of having a brain that works differently than "typical", still is hard to deal with. I do well meeting people, but as they "get to know me" the "real me surfaces", so they tend not to stick around. I have a very caring partner of over 14 years, that has supported me emotionally without either of knowing that I was on the Spectrum. He is a wonderful man, caring, and has his hands full!

Clay Utley

What a wonderful video to show the improvements needed in this country. I will stand behind the message of this video and I will spread it like wild fire on every social media and petition I am affiliated with. Thank you Ellen for putting this on your site for the world to see.

evgenios

omg this is such a strong video,thank u for putting this on ur website !!!

Whitnee

I believe everyone has the right to love. Some of my best friends have struggled coming-out and have hurt along the way, but to see them smile ten-times bigger and brighter makes all the difference in the end. That was so beautiful and sent shivers down my spine.

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older