Ellen's good friend Marlo Thomas has created a great new resource to help kids and parents protect against bullying. It's an anti-bullying campaign to help parents communicate with their children, whether they are being bullied, they are the bully, or they're a bystander. Watch the touching video right here. You can also get involved at StopBullying.gov.

Free To Be....Unbullied from MarloThomas .com on Vimeo.

Comments

Suzzaun R. Barclay

There should be zero tolerance for Bullying. My grandson is 13 who has a slight learning disability. He is picked on and seems too me not only with him but those in authority turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to bullying. Every Child should have opportunity to learn in a healthy and safe environment. Children with special needs may need a little extra but we have the resources in this country so no child should have to not have opportunity to learn without being bullied by no one. there are a lot of good teachers but not all are equipted with the emptional compassionate understanding tools needed to deal with children with special needs or they wouldn't turn a deaf ear or blind eye to bullying.

Doreen Robson

I am against any form of bullying, but the root of the problem starts from home, parents are the most vital element here in instilling the values and morals into their kids. I know it is easier said than done.
I have 15 grand children and they come back with stories of some form of bullying, my advice to them was to ignore these bullies until and unless when they are threaten physically that they should defend themselves.I know from the stories that I have read on this page, the hurt and painful encounters the victims parents are going through.
Build your children's self esteem, go for self defense classes, not to fight but when these bullies know that they could get a whooping too, they probably will think twice before they act. Bullies will always target the weaker person, so build your child's confidence and self esteem...It has driven some children to snap and take out the guns for revenge...why?????
I am from Malaysia and we have these same issues here too, there should be more motivational talks at schools.

Tamara Pearl

Hi Ellen,

My Husband and I have written a book targeting children aged 4-11 years and focusing on a much needed topic "bullying." We have worked with children of this age and we are professionals in the teaching/early childhood sector. The book "stop the bully" focuses on the importance bystanders have and the effect it has on the bully. We have already gained momentum in the local community with many schools, preschools and parents purchasing the book and reading it to their children.
As bullying has become a much discussed topic, we feel there is a need to provide students at an early age, a better understanding of dealing with the problems associated with bullying.

The book retails at $13.50.

Synopsis:

What a nice kid was little James Long. Just riding his bike and singing a song. Along comes Venomy Gasty and his two sidekicks who start to bully James. Venomy loves how a big crowd has also shown up to watch him bully. What Venomy doesn’t see is a little boy who came to help James. Jordan Tupp is the bystander who stands up to the bully. Will the crowd of bystanders just stand by or stand up to Venomy?

We thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
David and Tamara Pearl

website: www.bepositivesolutions.com.au
email address: stopthebullybook@gmail.com
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/stopbullybook

John & Judy Storey.......Ont. Canada

It is a serious problem in Canada also, this should not be tolerated at all, things need to change, parents need to teach their children that society, parents, schools and employers will not tolerate this at all. To be an individual is a right, to be free from the threat of harm, or harassment is another. Parents need to talk to their children and be part of their lives, listen to them, be there for them. If you see or hear of a child bulling another, let the parents, school, know about it do not just ignore it with it is not your problem, it is everyones problem and needs to stop, these children are our future, without them we have no future. Lets forget the borders and help all children in crisis, even if it is not your child....."love thy neighbour" she says this is a crisis, it is more than that, sorry Ellen I am not belittling your statement but it is a crime, a shame, an epidemic and a problem we are all responsible to change....teach your children being different is a good thing and those opposed are a small minority, lets work together as the human race and make changes, the life of one child ending is one to many.....this is what we both think and support..........these lives are precious and more valuable then any item or resource out there.....J&J.....I was not always a nice guy, if I can change so can YOU

carolyn Edmiston

There is a history of bullying at Lemonwood Elementary School in Oxnard and now gangs are beginning to form, there were two at last count. Intervention and alternatives are desperately needed to show children a better way to live and conduct themselves. If you could provide resources for our children through speakers or other alternatives it would benefit the community as well as the individuals involved. Let's help young people maker the right choices in their lives after all they are our future. I have been working as a volunteer at the school to sit in class and assist with supervision at recess yet my son and others students are still coming home with black eyes or beaten up. Letters have ben written to the principal on behalf of the student body but she is struggling to put a stop to the bullying. Please help, MRS Caroline Edmiston, 805-616-4350

Heather Chadwick

I have a daughter who has been bullied for the last 3 years. And in the last couple of weeks it has become physical. I have tried to talk to this girls Mom multiple times about it but all she ever did was make excuses, accussing my daughter of lying and making it up. I guess my point is not only do we need to be aware of the seriousness of bullying whether physical or verbal. But the parents of the kids who bully need to discipline at home and teach them right from wrong.In my opinion it starts at home and can also end at home. I know my child is not perfect but I try my best to teach them how to respect others. It hurts to see your child hurting. The school did a very good job stepping in. But it should of never had to come to that. Make sure that if your kid is being bullied not to give up and to talk to someone about it. Even if you have to go to the Superintendent or the local authorities. Don't give up!

Lazy Loo Loo

STOP BULLYING...People don't know how much it actually effects people...It must be horrible for a parent to go through all that and lose there child because of bullying, its horrible, put yourself a mile into someones shoes before judging or Bullying, just remember EVERYONE Has Feelings.. and Everyone deserves to feel Happy Safe, and Secure in Every Environment...So Help Stop Bullying Now!! And if you are getting Bullied...Tell someone ...And it gets better , And it gets Better Today <3

Lazy Loo Loo

Susie spivey

I just buried a 14 year old grandson this Wednesday, Zachary Gales from Kissimmee, FL, because he was bullied at school and on the bus. His mother had called the school and advised them of this situation but it continued. He came home from school one day last week upset and would not talk to anyone. He went upstairs and within thirty minutes he was gone. His 14th birthday, Tuesday, was his viewing, the following day was his funeral and he was laid to rest. This has got to stop, all this bullying is so useless. I have a son and daughter in law who are in so much pain. We all are..thank you for letting me post my thoughts.

Derek

Hello again, I found the link for Best of Monday Classic Jokes so please disregard my previous email' question.

I was also looking for the letter Ellen mentioned about the response that a Marine - I think - wrote back to an intolerant politician. Can you please send me a link for that.

I was also wondering if the skit on SNL - the one on the stutterer - might be considered bullying. Perhaps Ellen could elaborate on the differences that make a comic's stand-up funny or intolerant.

I really appreciated Ellen's 10th season opener when she explained her format/principles: Comedy material that does not come at the expense of others, etc.