Best Friends Animal Society has a great new website called Invisible Dog. It's their effort to draw attention to the thousands of shelter dogs that go unnoticed and unloved. You can help bring attention to these dogs in need by pledging to adopt one or even pledging to simply take one for a walk. To find out all of the ways you can help these dogs in need, check out Invisible Dog.

invisible dog

Comments

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older
annette cohn

ellen, hi! I adoped a pet from the spca animal shelter and the same day my dog came home was diagnoised with parvo. took my puppy lucky to a hospital and had an initail treatment for this horrible virus. couldnt afford that day for my puppy to stay longer due to the fact that it would cost about another 1,000 dollars which I didnt have at that time. begged, pleaded even offered to make payments, give them my wedding ring as coladeral which was worth about 5,000 and still all the vets said no cash no service in a matter of words. my heart was so broken that a vet would let a dog die over money. I did finally find a vet that would allow me to give them 500.00 check postdated for friday. this is so sad please contact me and let me bring awareness to this situation. I dont want anyone else to go thru begging, and the stress that I did just to get a vet to treat a life threatning condition. thanks annette

Lu Behrens

So many pets needing rescue. People must spay and neuter. We take in 500 - 600 dogs a year. Our rescue is being shutdown with no one helping us find a new home. Our home of 7 years was a boarding kennel. She has decided if she dumps us she can make more money. So greedy and mean. We just don't know what to do. December 30th we must have adopted out all our dogs or they go to animal control.

De Anna  Aldridge

Hi Ellen, my girlfriend and I recently wrote you a letter concerning the thousands of animals killed everyday across the U.S. in our shelters, because they do not have enough room for them. We would LOVE to open a sanctuary giving them that room and therefore ending the needless deaths these animals suffer. We are not asking for your money Ellen just your voice. You see we cannot expect people to send us money to make this happen but they will send it to you which is what we hope for. We are proposing $13 for 2013, if all the animal lovers out there contributed just that, we know we can make this happen. My g, irlfriend and I have worked with animals all our lives whether is was working with veteranarians to the Humane Society, a chimpanzee sanctuary, rescuing animals off the streets ourselves, and also fostering. This is a dream of ours and we would love your voice to help us achieve it. Not only will it help countless animals but it will create jobs too. Thank you for your time and we hope you will please consider helping us help those without a voice. De Anna & Lisa

April Shelton

Hi Ellen,

I, too, believe that animals need to be treated with love. It’s high time some humans stopped treating animals like trash and started treating them like the treasures they truly are!

But to bring about truly everlasting change, I believe you first need to touch the heart of a child. That’s what I had in mind when I wrote and illustrated the picture book Dumpy the Puppy. However, I also hope it will touch the hearts of adults too, or anyone who has ever felt like they have been discarded by the world.

Dumpy the Puppy is fictional story about a resilient puppy who must overcome being cruelly tossed into a dumpster in order to achieve his deepest desire. A desire we all share. To love and be loved.

Written in 2011, it has recently been self-published as an e-book on Amazon. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Dumpy-the-Puppy-ebook/dp/B00EHL3IXY/ref=sr_1_1/180-7906485-8263655?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378943432&sr=1-1

Now it’s up to the readers. Will they be part of spreading the light of this truth to the world? I hope so.

On behalf of myself and all the animals in the world, thank you, Ellen, for all the love and help you’re already giving them.

God Bless,
April Shelton

Charmaine

Those people who ill-treat their pets, regardless of whether they are dogs, cats, rabbits, birds or reptiles, should be euthanased.

Ireally hope your Best Friends Animal Society is a total success!

Can't ask for more than that.

On two occasions, I have adopted a cst and a dog. Both were beautiful animals, and sadly enough, they both died of cancer.
They were not dumped at the vets to go into a body bag and shoved into a giant pit.

The cat was buried at home, and the fern that I planted is forever green.

The dog was cremated and her remains returned to me, as requested.

I think people forget that the death of a pet can be likened to the death of a relative or friend. And we should honour them for the time they spent with us.

Oh, I'm getting teary, gotta go!

Charmaine

Lindsey Weigand

Ellen, I need your help desperately. I'm running a one-man show, trying to save the dogs, one pup at a time. I take the ones on death row, save them, & find them homes. I can barely afford to feed myself, let alone them, but we always manage to get by. My current car isn't big enough to transport these babies to forever homes, I can barely feed them...we just need help. Also, I could never afford to go to vet school, but if I could find a way to go, i'd devote my life to helping these poor babes go on to live a normal life & not have to suffer anymore.

Lori Friesen

Hi Ellen,

I can help!!! I would love to connect with you. I have a PhD in education and my doctoral research focused on teaching 2nd grade children how to read with the help of a dog. I am now designing a reading program that pairs shelter dogs (who have been pre-screened for being well-socialized around children) and children aged 6-9 years to teach them reading skills in a fun and innovative way while also teaching the children important skills in compassion and empathy towards animals. It's a win-win situation for everyone because the animals get love and attention from children (and exposure in the community and let's face it, an increased chance for adoption because the children fall in love with the animals they work with), the children learn to read in a fun and innovative way, and the shelters make money by charging a nominal fee for the children's participation. Please do contact me if you are interested in learning more as I would LOVE to partner with you to get this program off the ground!

Please feel free to check out my website: www.lorifriesen.com
It's not fancy but will give you an idea of who I am and what I do.

Much love to you and gratitude for your genuine care for animals.

Lori

Kathleen

I live in Spain where dogs are not respected as much as in the States. Anything I can do to help?! Thanks!

Maryjean Tucci

We have a special book we would like to send to Ellen, where do we send it too? thanks

Colleen

Remember to always adopt your pets from a shelter, never buy from a breeder. There are already too many homeless pets.

Janine

Ellen, you are such an animal lover you must have Teddy the puppy born without eyes on your show..It is a story of love, support and the entire US coming together to support him.....It will make you cry...he is on Facebook...Prince Theodore...youtube...Teddy the blind puppy and channel 10 in California ran a story....

Dawn Callaway

Hi Ellen,
Yesterday, 1/16, I found a stray dog that was hit by a car. She is at the Columbus Mississippi Humane Society and in stable condition. Her front paws looked broken. They cannot afford the cost for the surgery and can barely afford to feed the dogs. They were recently robbed and all their dog food was stolen. Can you help?
Sincerely,
Dawn Callaway

Gabsters17

Ellen,
I LOVE your show because you are such a good person and are very inspiring! It is great to see people like are still on this earth! You are a WONDERFUL person and I just LOVE to watch your beautiful show!!! Keep it up!

(Page 1 of 2) 12Older