about-this-page

I'm so happy you're checking out this page! I've been trying to live a kinder, more compassionate life, and I've learned a lot of things along the way. It's not hard to do -- you just need to know how! There is so much that you can do -- from helping to stop bullying in schools, to having compassion for all living things.

I've listed a lot of information here that I think will be helpful. There are books and movies that are important, plus videos of interviews with inspiring people, and links to organizations doing wonderful things for people and animals across the country. And there are easy, healthy recipes which prove that being vegan doesn't mean you can't have delicious meals!

I personally chose to go vegan because I educated myself on animal cruelty. Suddenly, I realized that what was on my plate were living things, with feelings. And I just couldn't disconnect myself from it any longer. I read books like "Diet for a New America" and saw documentaries like "Earthlings" and "Meet your Meat," and it became an easy choice for me.

If you want to learn more about why and how you can do the same, I hope you'll check out my new page: Going Vegan with Ellen.

Take a look at the various reasons I chose to live a kinder, compassionate life. If you choose to educate yourself, it'll be an easy choice for you, too!

Comments

(Page 5 of 23) Newer2345678Older
Lisa

Dear Ellen; Not sure this is the place to right this but here goes...Let me start by saying I love the show and you. Never watch that I don't get a laugh and feel my spirit lifted. I am writing on behalf of a friend,Wendy. She is a nurse in our community and one of the most loving and giving people i have ever met. She never turns anyone down;she is a great mother and works very hard. She makes birthday cakes and crafts with all the children and community and is the first to go running to help anyone in the community. She teaches a church class for children on Wednesday nights and has several older people she looks in on. Her problem is her home. It is small and very unorganized. She tries but never seems to get around to completing the projects she needs to for herself. This is causing tension inside her home with her spouse. If you are looking to surprise anyone with a home organization she would be a wonderful candidate. No one ever comes to Mississippi for any of the shows but I thought I would give it a try.

Julie Burnside

I love your show and watch it on the mornings I don't have to work. It comes on at 6AM, so I get to start my day with you. Thank you for the love and laughter. Even though my life has unraveled around me I can watch your show and enjoy that hour without worry and gain something positive. Let me tell you about the last year. I have been sick with IBS for years and the symptoms stArted getting worse. I began losing weight rapidly,a and was starting to worry. In June I was down go 110 pounds, I had dropped 25 pounds, was suffering with severe abdominal pain, nausea,vomiting, and diarrhea. I am a registered nurse and I knew that something serious was going on. I feared for my life but I was worried more about my children. My son is 21 and my daughter is 15, I also had 2 grown children from a 10 year relationship with the man I love very much. I was frightened and worried that the sharp pain and weight loss was cancer. My family was worried, I could see the concern on their faces. I finally went to a trusted friend and physician, we went through the symptoms and decided to do a EGD and colonoscopy to see what we were dealing with. I got the answer the day of the procedure, I have Crohns a autoimmune disorder which affects my entire digestive tract, mouth to butt, I can developer ulcers anywhere. The pain was caused by various ulcers and swelling from irritation in my small and large intestines. I had to change my eating habits everything that I had been eating and the medications I was taking for IBS were exacerbating my Crohns. So I started New medications and changed what I eat, no more fresh fruits and veggies, nothing that can cause gas or bloating, to put it frankly, it sucks. But the goal is to get the disease into remission because it is incurable. I have been on several rounds of a antibiotics and take a medication called Pentasa that without insurance I could not afford because it costs 1005.00 per month. In September, I finally began starting to put weight back on. By October I was up to 120,yeah! The third weekend in October my other half of 10 years decided to tell me he had started seeing someone else and we were over. I was heart broken. Then he called me the next day to tell me that his daughter, who I love so much was diagnosed with leukemia. She has spent 28 days in cancer treatment and was finally able to come home a little over a week ago, she is now doing out patient chemo. Since stress plays a HUGE roll in Crohns, I have began losing weight and the pain is horrible, down to 106 pounds. My ex is threatening to kick me out of my home if I "cause him any trouble", he "doesn't want me bad mouthing him". He cheated on me but I'm not supposed to say anything, I'm not supposed to be hurt, and I'm not allowed to speak to him or ask about Meagan. He said he was tired of me being sick all the time and was lonely, needed to be happy. I don't know what to do. My life has falling apart. I pray daily for Meagan, I talk to her on facebook, and miss her like crazy. Everything I envisioned for my future is gone. I worry that he will kick me out and me and my daughter will be homeless. My car is old and I pray every time I get in it for it to last a while longer. I work to pay my bills, my credit sucks, and I don't know where or how I'm going to buy Christmas, a car and find a new home. I just keep going, somehow I keep going. They say if I don't start gaining weight I will probably have to be hospitalized and begin TPN to rest my GI tract. This would involve me being on a IV 24 hours a day and I would be unable to work needless to say. I am at a loss, how did I get to this point? I ask for blessings each day, and am grateful for what I have, because I have to stay positive. I know that soon my life will be filled with joy, I will get a handle on my health, and my Meagan will beat leukaemia. I am grateful for my children, who love me as I am and my mother,Juanita Burnside, who has helped me throughout this year. She Is the one who made sure we had groceries, took Hannah to Dr and dentist appts when I was to weak to do it myself. I am also grateful to you for being yourself and making me laugh even when I am at my lowest. Thank you for the laughter and music and dancing. You show is a blessing to those who watch. Thank you.

Heather Collins-Proctor

Ellen my daughter Megan is 14 and loves your show. We currently live overseas because both my husband and I work for the Army. She loves all the antibullying and wonderful things you do for people and animals. She adopted a 3 legged kitten she named Tripod to keep it from being put down because they felt he was unadoptable. We have tried to instill values and teach her that giving is better than receiving and your show has cemented that. Proof of that came for me yesterday when I came downstairs to leave for work and she was getting ready to leave for school. In a time when all we hear about is all of the terrible things that teenagers do I thought you might like to hear this. The night before my husband and I were talking about an individual that works on the base we work on that is from the Philippines. He came over here to work and entrusted his 4 children with his brother and his wife as their guardians (he had lost his wife to cancer). When the typhoon hit the Philippines it hit directly where his family was. They found his brother still alive but he lost his leg, his 4 children remain missing. He was trying to sell all of his stuff to fund his trip and have enough money to survive while he was there. I did not think my daughter was paying attention and she went to bed. The next morning when she came down she handed me 1000 Riyals which is roughly $275 that she had been saving towards buying an Ipad because we had told her if she really wanted it she would save the money to buy it herself that way she would appreciate it more. I asked her if she was sure. Her answer was he "needs" the money much more than I "want" the Ipad. There is a difference Mom. He needs to find his kids. I can save the money again and just buy it later until than I will just use my computer. So thank you for being a wonderful role model outside the house for my daughter to look up to.

Lynette fallen

Ellen you are an inspiration, my daughter Brynn is 12 we love your show. She recently held a fundraiser at her school for the animal shelter she volunteers at. She worked hard organized it by herself and raised $135. They were thrilled. It's shows like yours that teach every little bit helps. Laughing hysterically at you also helps. Keep doing what you do. My daughter put tickets to your show on her Xmas wish list, I see you have to be 14, so that's something I will hopefully be planning in the future, I'm sure you'll still be on tv then 😉

Marie Stephen

Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://Buzz95.com

Vickie Towne

I would like to make Ellen a homemade candle using only natural materials & scented with essential oils in the fragrance & color of your choosing. Please respond back, as this is a business I am thinking of starting for an income, as I have been laid off since Feb after working at a business for over 20 yrs. Now I'm a 58 yr old single woman starting my life over. Let me know a few of your favorites then let me know your opinion after you receive them.Thank you, Vickie Towne

David Alwine

I would like to talk about my sister Pam. She was a breast cancer survivor for two years always feeling good about herself until last week. She called my house and left a message for me to call her. My sister is always helping out for anybody that needs help not only through the family but people in her cancer group. She was so happy to be clean but the message I receive last week was her cancer came back in her lungs. She lives on social security benefits not making much but just to get ahead. She has a 2003 beat up old car that barely makes it from point A to point B. I wish in all my dreams that someone could help her out! She has lived it tough and I only want the best for her. If you could help out a friend that watches your show everyday or dvr it would be forever in your gracious ways. Her car is a 2003 piece of junk car and can hardly make it to Doctor appointments along her radiation and Chemotherapy. I hope you can help her for she deserves for the person that she is!!!!

Bambi Silva

Personally I love your show and I work and have kids so I for it and Mr and my husband watch you later. You are a great person and I love you and what you stand for your show is great and so is your audience and hopefully I'll be in it one day. Love you stay strong and stand up for what's right.

Bambi Silva

Kids are so harsh my daughter is the one that is actually getting bullied they call her fat and call her cottage cheese legs and tell her she has a big butt. So now she is starving herself. Please help. Hurting mom. Sincerely Bambi Silva

Robyn Price

Hi Ellen,, i would just like to say i love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and your show very much ! i watch everyday if i can i try not to miss one and i love everything you stand for i wish you another 1700th shows in the furure !!!!!!!!!! you truly are an inspiration to people everywhere

Amy Tucker

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On saturday I bought a great new audi from earning $8012 this month. this is actually the best-work I have ever had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://Buzz95.com

melissa helm

Ironic that I read today's blog. I love that you are discussing being more compassionate. Such a simple thing to do and it costs nothing.
There are so many ways to show compassion from people to animals.
There is a program that does it for both: If you get the chance, please check out Pets Healing Vets. It is a non-for profit here in Indiana's Hamilton County area that my friend Megan Morseth started because of her passion for homeless animals and being married to a disabled veteran.
Ellen, thanks for all you do for those who can't do for themselves!

Dominique McClain

Your so compassionate Ellen, you are so right about the whole bullying thing, it needs to stop now!!!!!!!!

Felisa Tyler

Ellen I want to thank you for living a kinder more compassionate life because the world needs more people like you!

Emily  Travis

Dear Ellen,
I am so happy you decided to go vegan for a good cause. I was raised vegan growing up. The first day of public school my twin and I were introduced to meat. We had hamburgers and asked everyone at school what this new food was and they told us it was animal. Well we get home and are so excited to tell our parents we just ate animal and could we have our dog Todo for dinner.

(Page 5 of 23) Newer2345678Older